• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which big black base should I get?

Keto

Oct 30, 2020
It's been a long time since I used my radio equipment but I'm trying to start up again.
I'm wanting to get a big black base but there's plenty of choices and I want to get the right one.
Rci ,Galaxy, Saturn, seem to be the ones I've been running across here and there.
Few of them have their own good size amp and output.
Some have five some six digit frequency counters.
At the moment I've got a tube amplifier and a 400 v Texas Star pill box, but think in the long run I would like to go with a plug-in pill box.
I want something works good on sideband and am.
I definitely like to keep the reliability up, but have a pretty versatile as far as running an amp or not and still getting out from my out in the woods Southwest Missouri spot.
Then again maybe a ham station, to use on the children's band (CB) no offense to anybody on that, that's what I use
Having not used most of those type of radios I'm not sure which one to go toward and which one to stay away from.
What do you guys think?

I've enjoyed my 2980wx its a solid radio. I bounce between the Cobra 2000 and the RCI 2995DXCF but I'll put the 2980wx in line from time to time.
I've actually got a Cobra 2000, and have been admiring the 2995 since they came out, lol.
The 2985 i checked out was only putting out 20 w pep, which didn't seem like that was much.

Not a whole of choices these days but there are a couple as mentioned. I've thought about a base myself but the at-6666 does so well that a base would have some big shoes to fill. Not a giant powerhouse but it's sure worked many a stations barefoot on ssb. Have owned a 2517, 2980 and connex 33ssb and none came close to it.

Not a whole of choices these days but there are a couple as mentioned. I've thought about a base myself but the at-6666 does so well that a base would have some big shoes to fill. Not a giant powerhouse but it's sure worked many a stations barefoot on ssb. Have owned a 2517, 2980 and connex 33ssb and none came close to it.
I used a buddy's 2517 which ran my Maco 300 pretty good. I've used a rci 2950 for a base, and it was nice.
It seems like a lot of mobiles that a guy could use, maybe I should say a lot of choices of the mobiles. I'll look at that at-6666, never had any experience with one.

Reactions: Eldorado828
I used a buddy's 2517 which ran my Maco 300 pretty good. I've used a rci 2950 for a base, and it was nice.
It seems like a lot of mobiles that a guy could use, maybe I should say a lot of choices of the mobiles. I'll look at that at-6666, never had any experience with one.

It's just my experience and opinion though but several in this forum have a similar opinions and result. Yes there's many choices many of which I haven't had the pleasure of using...... yet lol.

Some like the 5555, 5555n or the Stryker 955 variant along with many others from president and ranger. Lots of mobile options that do really well. The stability, receiver and power on the 6666 does wonders. Just don't let the golden screwdriver get his hands on it....

Reactions: L2, WECSOG and Keto
My vote is none of them, for the price of one you can buy a good used Hf rig, and have something to listen to when 10/11 meters is dead. My opinion is why spend 4 or 5 or 600 hundred dollars on a radio that only does 1 or 2 bands.

Along with what red posted above - a mobile is a way better deal than something like the 2995DX. You're really just paying for the internal amp/case/power supply which you don't really need unless your amps needs to be driven with 100+ watts. Or you can get a really nice used ham radio for the price of a new 2995.

Reactions: Keto
I have a 2995dxcf and a Galaxy Saturn both. The recieve on the 2995 is better than the Saturn but not by a lot. The 2995 puts out considerably more wattage of course. An hf transciever is a good choice. I talk to a lot of guys am and ssb running that Icom 7300 which is a 100 watt rig.
One of our locals has a 7300 and it sounds great, even on AM.

Reactions: Keto and 543_Dallas
The Icom 7300 makes pretty good AM. If you can live without the super swing mods, echo and CB style channel selector it's a better way to go IMO. Older solid state ham rigs usually sucked on AM.
The channel select know is actually something I hadn't thought about not having. I like the ole channel knob, yep good point.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated