• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

which is better jogunn killer 8's or maco laser 500

radioreddz

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Nov 20, 2005
so. maryland
which would be better for alround local & dx talking jogunn killer 8's or the maco laser 500. the killer 8's use the gizmotchy layout with the 2 slanted radials and the one vertical. the laser 500 is the more conventional yagi with the quad reflector vertical horizontal. :?: :roll:

I would think that the vertical side of both may be about the same, but maybe the Maco might have an edge on the horizontal. Reason being the horizontal elements on the Jo Gunn are slanted a bit down towards the ground and thus when used as the horizontal radiator the response probably won't be quite as pure as the more traditional flat side elements of the Maco.

I think it might be really hard to perceive this however by simply operating your station. Maybe if you had both up and swithcable, you could see and hear some difference.

hey thanks marconi & master chief i know you guys have a wealth of experiance with antennas. taking down a sig lightning 4 plus to go bigger. also seems like the sig quad does not like the ice storms i get here in winter plus i just want to go bigger to gear up for the dx when it starts to climb again. sig 4's do good but the last iceing we had screwed with them. but thanks to the both of ya for the advice. ;)

Either the JoGunn or the Maco mentioned above will step all over that Steppir.The steppir is an all band tunable antenna with few elements and lower gain even disregarding the inflated gain figures of the other two manufactures.The poster was asking about a high gain monoband antenna.A multi-element steppir is rediculous for a monoband application.If I had the money and room however I would love to have a steppir for full HF coverage.

Which is better

I never have liked the jo gunn, the maco probably will do every thing that you want.But if you want to go big I probably would look at wolfradio's wy6l 11m. Six element on a 40 ft. boom, sounds like dxing to me :D

best antenna

I've been here, before, and I'm sure someone will disagree with me.
However, before you dismiss the Gismotchy or jogun design, you might want to talk to people who have one.

I would also suggest you check out an inverted V designed antenna such as www.hamuniverse.com/1elementbeam.html .

These are possibly the most overlooked and misunderstood antennas going, even by the supposed antenna modeling experts. Antenna modeling doesn't take several factors into account, with the programs I've seen anyway. A wise man told me that with computers, "garbage in; garbage out".

Don't take my word for it, or anyone elses. Do some checking and research yourself. As these type of antennas have been widely used with exceptional results for decades.
They are also very durable, as mine was made in 1968. It has survived a 500 mile move and winds of over 120 miles an hour, ice storms and severe conditions that the midwest can produce.
I honestly can't say enough good about them. And I've been making contacts, I don't think I would have with some others.

Just my .002 cents.
marven :shock:

best antenna

I forgot to also give you this link, www.gizmotchy.com/index.html .

Check out the extreme gizmo's!!! You don't have to go big, but you can. ha I use a 5 element. In 1981 CB Magazine did a side by side testing with all the currently available antennas. They didn't tell anyone, they just bought them and did the tests. The results are still the same, and can be found in the magazine review, at the above web addy.

No matter what you decide to run for an antenna, have fun!! That should be why we are doing it. I run 37 and 38 LSB, 27.375 and 27.385 mhz. Hope to talk to you!!!

marven :LOL:

best antenna

Masterchief:

FYI; the Hams are using the Gizmotchy antennas. There are 1000's of us using them. Gizmotchy is constantly working on another band antenna, or improving a current one.

marven :roll:

best antenna

I can't speak for the Jogun, but the 3 element Gizmotchy only weighs in at 12 lbs. I believe my 5 element is only 20 lbs.

marven :D

Re: best antenna

marven said:
Masterchief:

FYI; the Hams are using the Gizmotchy antennas.
Maybe I wasn't clear. If the Gizmotchy design was superior the ham antenna manufacturers would be using it. Not a single one is.

BTW, I know a number of hams who are using an A-99 on ham frequencies too. Read into that as you will.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.