1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Whoever said good fences make good neighbors, didn't live next to family!

Discussion in 'Announcements & Open Forum' started by G GOLLY WAlly, Sep 6, 2020.

1. G GOLLY WAlly

G GOLLY WAlly WDX 719 / Waldo on AM

Just got a text from the wife (I'm at work) her niece wants the house, offered full asking price, we didn't want to sell to family but we've got to get out of here. My brother in law called our realtor last night (drunk) and cussed him out, then preceded to tell him what greedy SOB's we are. He said now he fully understands why we're moving. O well, show me the money, and we're gone is what I say!!(y)

2. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

— Buy two-hundred (200) book boxes (12x12x12) as they are THE easiest way to move everything that will fit. Partial or Full, matters not.

— Buy the best tape gun dispenser.

— Buy VG quality tape rolls by the dozen.

So long as the box is “squared” (carefully fitted in every dimension) no extra tape is needed past reasonable overlap.

(Don’t stuff these boxes. Just grab another).

After all those household moves, I cut tape and folded boxes down to OEM shape/size. Bound with twine by the dozen. Encased in XHD Lawn/Leaf bags (8-mil?) and used duct tape to shape them down on exterior.

Stored in attic. Given to parents a couple of years later (when they moved to assisted living. Household goods sold after being in storage awhile).

Other shapes/sizes ONLY per exact item.

Use WHITE address labels to write on. Not directly on box.

Book boxes have nine lives.

3. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

My wife was in charge of all clothing.

Bed, Bath & Beyond

carries the
    Honey Can Do 74” Commercial
    Collapsible Rolling Clothes Rack

I bought four (4) fourteen or fifteen years ago.
    They’re still selling the exact same item.

I recommend at least three.

A dedicated room with VG natural & artificial light.
    This is the best way for her to examine closely.
    She moves from rack to rack and ponders life.
    Keep, Donate, Discard.

(The carts keep getting used, too). I donated three to the church choir, but should have kept one as TWO is ideal for all family members to go thru their clothing. Every year or season or whatever.

All clothing went by our personal vehicles. I laid out fresh canvas atop interior. Folded over.

Work crews loaded &. unloaded our rental trucks. Just boxes and furniture. Nothing delicate or extra-personal. Tools, etc, in your pickup.

(If you hire a company, go to the scale with the them every time (4-weighs). This is where they cheat on weight. Put Steer axle of little truck onto scale when big truck is on. This IS NOT rare).

#63 Slowmover, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  4. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

Know my biggest mistake with an empty house? (I’ve a good list of successes): not installing or upgrading cabinet and closet lighting when it was easy to do.

Garage? Check
    Back porch? Check
    (Etc).

Had an electrician install lighting fixtures of SEVERAL types in closets using a standard switch plate. Cabinets were left to me. Many great choices in LED for the latter.

I was pretty damned embarrassed to not have thought of the amount of time — or number of times — my wife might have had a cabinet or closet open as she tended her house and OUR lives.

Send your new pro exterminator first and tell him to treat everything and everywhere he can think of.

If the attic or crawl spaces need built-in lighting, it’s cheap to do it at the beginning. Inspections never cease.

Plus you’ll want a dedicated 20A circuit pulled for the station.

Find enough for one FULL days work of electrician & helper if you do the rough-in.

G GOLLY WAlly likes this.
  5. TM86

TM86 Sr. Member

You can also check the craigslist free section and see if anyone is giving moving boxes away. May not all be 12x12x12, but the price is good.

357magnum and G GOLLY WAlly like this.
  6. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

All one size = load & stacks PERFECT

7. G GOLLY WAlly

My wife has Mazzios pizza, and Western Sislin give her boxes everyday, they aren't same size but very close

357magnum and Slowmover like this.
  8. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

G , Sorry I need to go there ... What can you fit in a Pizza Box ? Magazines ? They will get all greasy ! :whistle::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Just kidding ! I get it . Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless ! Leo

9. G GOLLY WAlly

:ROFLMAO: Now that's funny! I guess I could have worded that a little differently. Pizza boxes, never thought of how that might sound when I posted that :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

10. G GOLLY WAlly

I'm so tired of moving, everytime we open a cabinet or drawer at my parents old house surprise more photos. Im to the point now that if I don't recognize anyone or anything in the photos, their trash!

11. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

Rented a dumpster have you?

357magnum likes this.
  12. G GOLLY WAlly

No but it has crossed my mind.

13. G GOLLY WAlly

Thought I'd check in since I've been pretty quiet, to be honest, since we can't talk politics, we can't talk covid that pretty much nips about 80% of my talking points. ( things I like to bitch about) My mother in law died Nov 11th, figure father in law is next he's 90 and not doing well. On a brighter note I'll finally get to move into the new house the next time I come home from work, can't wait. Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.

14. G GOLLY WAlly

Go figure! We've had all our ducks in a row and now the abstract office in Mcalester screwed up on the paper work and we didn't get to close the 15th!! Maybe Monday they say. But we've talked to the former owners of the house and we're moving some things in tomorrow, just a lot of smaller items and store them in the shop. This weekend I'll have more help and that when the heavy lifting starts. We let the abstract office know that we've got a box trailer rented for the weekend and their kinda screwing plans up, trying not to piss them off because they're dragging their feet enough as it is, they've had 10 days to fix the problem after they realized they had made a mistake. Anyway I'm ready to get this show on the road.

357magnum, Slowmover and Eldorado828 like this.
  15. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

Never hurts to let the governors office know of your problem. That initiates a formal process. A record.

Today, there’s nothing lazier or more uncaring than a government worker. I’m FAR past caring about them as honor has no place in their reckoning.

It’s a dead weight, IMO, to accept their burden.
    Reject it, or prepare to be absorbed.

Light a fire.

#75 Slowmover, Dec 24, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    r carl, 357magnum and G GOLLY WAlly like this.