• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why?

Hawkeye351

Jun 27, 2021
May of you may remember a few weeks ago me posting about having a Connex 4800 DXL on the desk.

It was sent to me because it was overheating and needed an alignment.

Well, after going over it, I noticed they had a swing mod strapped across the passthrough regulator (which in my opinion is a no no). I removed it and instead installed a simple swing mod at the carrier adjust VR. Looked good on the scope, spectrum and the passthrough wasn't running hot any longer.

After I got done with it, I talked on it for a day or so with no issues whatsoever, I even talked to him on it and he loved the sound of it.

The next day I got it back to him. That night he texted me and told me he took the covers off and removed my simple swing mod and instead installed his regulator based swing mod back in it.

Now he's complaining about it running hot and distorting after it gets hot. Same thing it was doing when it came to me but wasn't doing it when I carried it back to him, UNTIL HE STRESSED THAT REGULATOR OUT AGAIN.

He said it looks better on an oscope with that type of mod. I told him, sometimes it's not just about looking good on a scope, sometimes it's about stress, breakdown, current draw.

Why?
Why?
Why do we even waste our time.

I truly believe that when dealing with people. If you please half the people half the time you are ahead of the game. My family collects firearms. I admit I am the only member of the firearms and CB radio collecting issue. We have a friend of the family that is a gunsmith. His specialty is building custom hunting rifles. He will buy the appropriate action and barrel, hand fit the action, barrel, custom trigger. make a custom stock of your choice. You pick out the blank piece of wood. Every moving part is hand fitted to tightest tolerance he can obtain. The chambers are match quality reamed chambers for best accuracy. The pricing is something like 3300, 4400, 5500 depending on how much fancy custom you want. The chambers are reamed to the actual specifications of the caliber of ammo. So he stops me one day complaining that a customer gave him a bad Google review. Only one ever. The customer said his new rifle had poor accuracy. What he found out was the guy was shooting Prvi Partizan Ammo, PPU. If anyone is not aware it is ammo made in Serbia. This was some years ago and we just started importing it into the United states and it was questionable quality ammo you can buy. PPU has since improved greatly in quality. The custom rifle was made to achieve the best accuracy possible. The gunsmith can not be responsible that he just made you a 4000 rifle that is competition grade and you want to shoot the cheapest junk ammo you can buy then complain the rifle is bad. Our gunsmith friend was almost pulling his hair out. He had never experienced a complaint like this before.

May of you may remember a few weeks ago me posting about having a Connex 4800 DXL on the desk.

It was sent to me because it was overheating and needed an alignment.

Well, after going over it, I noticed they had a swing mod strapped across the passthrough regulator (which in my opinion is a no no). I removed it and instead installed a simple swing mod at the carrier adjust VR. Looked good on the scope, spectrum and the passthrough wasn't running hot any longer.

After I got done with it, I talked on it for a day or so with no issues whatsoever, I even talked to him on it and he loved the sound of it.

The next day I got it back to him. That night he texted me and told me he took the covers off and removed my simple swing mod and instead installed his regulator based swing mod back in it.

Now he's complaining about it running hot and distorting after it gets hot. Same thing it was doing when it came to me but wasn't doing it when I carried it back to him, UNTIL HE STRESSED THAT REGULATOR OUT AGAIN.

He said it looks better on an oscope with that type of mod. I told him, sometimes it's not just about looking good on a scope, sometimes it's about stress, breakdown, current draw.

Why?
Why?
Why do we even waste our time.

Reactions: Hawkeye351
Is he going to pay you to fix it again?

Yes, I'm gonna charge him. The issue isn't coming from anything I did, it's coming from what he did, therefore it's gonna cost him for me to replace it.

I wouldn't touch it again. My personal feelings mind you but stuff like this can lead to a blemish on your reputation. Nom telling if he does the same stunt again what he might say about the cause.

Hawkeye,

are you talking about the difference between adding a diode to a certain resistor that already exists, and adding the diode/resistor combo in parallel with a certain existing capacitor?
LC

The reason i ask is that we generally call the "adding diode to existing resistor" a swing mod, while we call adding the diode/resistor combo to that existing cap an NPC mod.

Ive done both and i like the NPC better so i was wondering if you could elaborate on why you like the "swing mod" better.

I will say that if you don't reduce the carrier, the NPC mod doesn't really do you much good IMO.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.