• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

windows 7 upgrade,dont do it

fnkycoldmedina

May 18, 2005
pa
ok ,got my windows 7 upgrade the other day .i was stoked so i did what the install directions said (run windows update,get all updates,run hp update,run your virus softare)and installed the upgrade.took hours....
this is a upgrade cd to upgrade from xp .well after the upgrade it took 10 minutes for my computer to boot .i thought it was just loading the system for the first run but nothing was farther from the truth.
kidding with the wife i said " i know why they called it 7 ,it takes at least that long to boot up "
so there i was dealing with 10 minute boot times .....
i start googling,come to find out everyone is having long boot time problems with "the upgrade"
everyone had thier version of a fix but non of the fixes worked ,not even for them .
after waiting the 10 minutes until i had a useable pc the operating system was decent and stable ,but being there was no fix for the long boot time i chose to recover my pc and go back to vista .
i dont want to wait 10 minutes to have a useable pc .
so let me say this about the "upgrade"DONT DO IT,more trouble than its worth.
the upgrade is junk,at least until they figure out the long boot problem with the upgrade.
i will have to wait until i can get a full oem copy of 7 then try again .

how is the boot time on a oem version factory install of 7?

and to think it took hours for this upgrade ,only to be disappointed and lose another half day reloading vista and reloading new drivers and getting updates .

previous upgrades were not like this.

My PC boots to the desktop in 27 seconds under 7, XP takes 30, I'm sure I could shave a good 5 seconds off both if I took the time to optimize... Once I get my Solid State Drive I've heard 7 will boot in just a few seconds.

This is with a 1TB WD drive.

I agree with mister fatty.
I just bought my wife a new laptop for christmas. came with W7. The boot time is great. Page loading is great. I like it because if it shuts off when the battery goes, it comes back to where you were at.

What I dont like is no outlook.

this sounds good ,just dont go the upgrade route and i guess you be fine .

just fyi.........
my pc
quad core amd phenomII 910 2.6
8 gig ddr3 ram
1tb hard drive..............so its not like i dont have the pc to run it .

Pretty Close on the PC, Quad core Phenom 3 @ 3.6, 8gb DDR3, 1tb WD
wow where did you find a 3.6?you must have paid a pretty penny.

mine is a refurb hp i got for 599.00
it also has blue ray player,dvd/cd burner,card reader,media pocket,blah blah blah .......it was 899.00 but i saved buying a refurb.

Just for grins.
I have been using the 'beta' vrsion of '7' for some time. I like it much better than Vista. When it came on the commercial market I figured I'd get it and install on both the lattop and the house computer. Ran across a 'two for one' thingy, use it on two computers, same disk. Got home, tried it, got the same old thing about get upgrades, yada, yada, yada. Some time later, it said "Nope, I ain't gonna work on this computer that has Vista on it. But if you install 'XP' on it first, I'll do just fine.". Huh? Looked at box, no warning or 'catch' about having 'XP'. Tried it again. Same thing. Took it back. argued with manager about how I should have read the box. Did read box. But it says right here that if you have 'XP'. STOP. Never had XP on that computer, and bought it HERE. Oh, he said. But if you'd read the box. WAIT! I would like my money back, please. But if you'd only up-grade tothis higher priced version it would work just dandy. PLEASE! I'M TIRED OF THIS 'read the box' CRAP! GIMME MY MONEY BACK! You don't have to get belligerent you know, why didn't you just say that to start with? You want a refund, right? I don't remember much from that point. I think I refered to his parentage, the remarkable resemblance between between his facial features and my fat axe, and to gt his self in gear... please. I do remember the expressions on several faces as I left the store with my refund. I have no idea what those sounds meant...
- 'Doc

I bought a MacBook Pro instead of buying into the windows hype once again. :bdh:

The MacBook Pro takes 33 seconds to boot up (y)

It takes 3 seconds to shut down (y)

YES, I did time it with a stop watch because I was amazed at the speed.

OH and surfing, YEAH, much faster.

Best thing to do with Win 7 is do a complete format, not upgrade from different OS, and if you have to absolutely save files that you don't want to lose you could always use an external Harddrive.

I went and got the 64 bit version and im not looking back at xp one bit.

My specs are AMD 64 x2 5000+ Black edition Clocked at 2.9 ghz ( stock volts/timming only use the multiplier)
4 gigs dual channel kinston pc6400
Dual gtx 260 video cards

80 gig sata raptor
320 gig wd ata
850 watt OCz power supply

http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/ab67/Sickpuppy22/Pc/

Just bought my son a new Alienware M15X that has Windows 7 installed.

Took the recovery CD from the new M15X and installed Windows 7 in the old M15X that had winblows xp.

When going from xp to 7, you MUST do a full install, in other words, wipe out hd and start from new.

Before I did that though I went to Alienware website and downloaded the new drivers for windows 7 that are associated with my old M15X, you know, graphics card, Claudio card (T2W reference (y)), chipset and all that other shiat. Saved them to a CD

Did the install, then installed new drivers, works GREAT!

Much quicker boot times.

Did you do the windows 7 upgrade advisor? It will tell you what will need updated drivers or will not work with 7 on your current system.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

yep ,got the advisor .found out today i can do a clean install just by chosing custom install when i go to run it .i seen that option when i installed but chose the upgrade option so i wouldnt lose everything on my computer that i just imported.
well in the end i lost it all anyway ,so when i,m feeling froggy again i,ll try the clean install.but i,m in no hurry...i just updated everything on vista again so i might as well run it awhile .

someone said theres going to be a win8 coming too.?anyone else hear this?

I did the XP to 7 upgrade and it was the smoothest I've done yet. The biggest time consumer was using Easy Transfer to save/restore files I wanted to keep on the system. The actual install only took about 20 minutes - and that included 7's Action Center notifying me I needed to update my sound card driver, providing me the link and installing the new driver for me. Startup/Shutdown times are quicker compared to XP, as are page loads. I'm quite happy with 7 so far. It reminds me of a quicker version of XP with a few added features. There is some good info on the 'net about upgrading that helps make the transition as easy as clicking your mouse...

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

Download and run the advisor first. It will examine your system to verify your current hardware is compatible, and any drivers that may need updating.

These step by step tutorials are a big help to have on hand during the upgrade - print it out before you start!

Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7

Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7

I hear every computer with windows 7 has a direct link to the White House, oh wait or was that the White House to every computer with windows 7 ? I forgit.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.