• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Winter is coming!!!

Used to burn 5-6 cords of wood/year to heat our Cape Cod style home. It was becoming a chore to handle all that wood plus the dirt and smoke associated with it was starting to affect my wife who has some respiratory issues. 11 years ago we ditched the wood furnace and the oil furnace and put in a ducted heat pump. That has been great especially in the summer for the AC. Four years ago we bought a Harmon pellet stove. It has been GREAT. We basically heat the house entirely with wood pellets.

Fall is here.
These guys start showing up everywhere.

Jeff
Screenshot_20230729-210743~2.png

The Mexican brown tarantula is out and about heavy here in the high plains. They started lady chasing about 2 weeks ago with one here and there but now they're all over the highways. Will have to snap a picture to share.

It's usually during mid October but their urge started early this year so it seems.

The Mexican brown tarantula is out and about heavy here in the high plains. They started lady chasing about 2 weeks ago with one here and there but now they're all over the highways. Will have to snap a picture to share.

It's usually during mid October but their urge started early this year so it seems.

Maybe they know something we don't. Quick reproduce!

I remember snow for Christmas a few times growing up in Dover, Delaware. But it seems that it hardly snows here anymore. The snow forecast always shows the snow approaching, but having the Chesapeake Bay on one side and the Delaware Bay on the other will deflect the front around us. I can remember as a kid playing outside in the snow all day. I would get so cold that my hands would not work to open the door of the house. I would get cold and wet, but there was too much fun to be had. When I got older, I had a Yamaha 125 dirt bike. I would ride it on the snow packed roads, and had to ride with both feet down because it was so slick.

I lived in Montreal for a few years and the snow packed roads were great because it covered up the pot holes... Lots of great memories.

I used to hunt when I was younger, now I just feed them apples and my wife feeds them her rose bushes and shrubs lol!
They look healthy this year.
That was this afternoon from the front porch, we see maybe 20 or so a day that wander through this time of year.
We keep a water trough filled during the summer for them so they just hang around.

Jeff

I used to hunt when I was younger, now I just feed them apples and my wife feeds them her rose bushes and shrubs lol!
They look healthy this year.
That was this afternoon from the front porch, we see maybe 20 or so a day that wander through.
We keep a water trough filled during the summer for them so they just hang around.

Jeff
Yeah I don't hunt like I use to and other people don't hunt as much as they did years ago but we end up with too many and crop and property damage . Plus they carry ticks which spreads Lyme disease. And that's not to say all the Auto damage that drives up insurance cost. It's all about Checks & Balances. I hit a Fawn with my motorcycle this summer or should I say it run broad side into me. Fortunate for me it didn't put me down but had some repairs on my bike. Can't say that much for the fawn it creamed it, but the scavengers had it gone in 2 days.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
Theyre a menace around here. Wife hammered one with the last car before she hit a semi recently while avoiding ANOTHER deer and did that car in.
Flipping deer. Sure she will whack another with the new to her car.

I went deer hunting one time with my brother and dad when I got out of the Army. I got a deer, mule deer here I the west, and that was the last time I ever went. I had bad feelings after seeing the poor deer riding on the hood of my jeep all the way home. Hunted birds for a while, but found fishing more to my liking. But, with all the pollutants in the water over the years and warnings about only consuming a certain amount of fish within a certain time period, or not at all, I don"t do that either.
I don't hold any ill feelings to those that hunt, I think it's good to have the skills.
I do think the BLM and other agencies have done a bad job in protecting and managing what they are charged with protecting managing. Out here in the west they routinely round up horses and donkeys, using methods that are illegal, and send them essentially to the slaughter house. That's another topic though.

Reactions: whiteastro

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.