• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

would you consider buying a vector/sigma4 if it was built strong enough ?

B

BOOTY MONSTER

if a sigma4 / vector 4000 type antenna was made that was built with the strength and durability of a interceptor 10k or a big coily type antenna , and priced similarly , would it be something you might consider for a base antenna ?

Last edited by a moderator:

if a sigma4 / vector 4000 type antenna was made that was built with the strength and durability of a interceptor 10k or a big coily type antenna , and priced similarly , would it be something you would consider for a base antenna ?
There is varying standards as to "strong enough" . If it was "booty strong enough" then yes I would.
:D

Let's see.... Same quality construction.... Same price.... But, with more gain on the horizon.... Nope.... The skeptics will still say it's a half wave J-Pole. That its gain and pattern are destroyed once you add any coax or mast. That the skeleton cone does not noticeably add to the in phase radiation currents. The fountain of misinformation will continue to rain down on this design for another 25 years.

if i had not already got what you describe then yes id buy one,
its the only aluminium vertical i would buy.

In the early 80's some of us were "suspect" of those who were running Astroplanes which this antenna reminds of. We considered folks who hung these odd looking antennas off their roofs as peculiar or somehow mentally deranged. So I would have to say no.
No offense to anyone who may like the "odd" shaped antennas.

I have bits and peices of 3 Avanti Sigma 4's....
would I get another?........... Probally in a heart beat

Unfortantly my last one came crashing down in a wind storm... Snapped off at the base. From what I have read that was the weak point:confused:

If I had another hoop and a pair of gamma's I could put together 2 of these..

In my opinion deffently best antenna (y)

Back in the day (sounding old) when I had this up at a different QTH and when radio was still going (late 80's 90's) The only person that could out hear or talk me was a guy with a moonraker 4...
A friend of mine still runs one that is only 20 ft off ground and it out performs his maco 5/8 at 40 ft.....

As shockwave stated
The fountain of misinformation will continue to rain down on this design for another 25 years.

Attachments

• IMAG02191.jpg
    IMAG02191.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 43

If I had another hoop and a pair of gamma's I could put together 2 of these..

lowes sells several sizes and thickness of aluminum strip , solid rod , and tubing that you could use to easily replace those parts . (y)
a 8 ft strip with a one inch over lap make a almost perfect 30 1/4 inch diameter loop . the avanti and sirio versions use a 30 inch diameter loop . i'll suggest 1/16 inch thick and one inch or wider strip .

and i'll suggest using #8 hardware rather than SS if you need to replace any nuts and bolts .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 person
So Booty,
You going to start to produce them??

i dont have the equipment to make them look really pretty like jay or some of the other builders could , and i certainly don't have the money to invest in them . i'm guessing boxing and shipping them would be a royal pain too and a bit expensive also .

plus anyone can just copy what i did on mine (if they like it) . just buy the tube from DXengineering and other parts from lowes and add elbow grease . (y)

Some of the responses remind me of stories of folks who back when the automobile was first emerging as the horseless carriage vowed they'd never do it, and they'd never catch on, after all, they looked odd.

Of the several vertical antennas mentioned in this thread so far, Maco 5/8, I10k, AP, Gainmaster, and V4k, I've had the opportunity to own build and/or use four of those types. Only the GM awaits my experimentation. I've not had an I10k, but it is a 5/8 GP. I favor both the Vector 4k, and the AP. Despite being odd looking by some arbitrary standard, nothing I've flown out performs the V4k or the AP. Personally, I think an honest appraisal of any GP antenna will result in a conclusion that they are all odd looking. Ask any wife. Both the AP and the V4k are the easiest antennas to mount, with smaller lateral footprints than large groundplane antennas. The Gainmaster apparently is too. However, the power handling capabilities of the others provide a dubious advantage over the GM for those who run such power.

As a homebrewer, the V4k and the AP are among the easiest to make. Mechanically, they are simpler, providing less challenge to make. In terms of performance, peerless in the 5/8 and 1/2 wave classes in my opinion/experience. Whether the V4k is more than a 5/8 based on it's over all length is a matter of debate peculiar to this antenna type alone. Maybe it's more . . . and owes that fact to its superior performance as much as results of it design. What matters to me is it has shown itself to be a great antenna, easy to build, and easier than any other vertical I've had to mount in a limited space with its maximum width only 2.5'

Would I buy one. Nope, too easy to make.
Would I recommend someone buy one? In a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
compared to my old antennas the gainmaster is like majic. i hear europe when my local neighbors dont. its got things happening that defy expectatioins but i have mine real high and free of anything under it or near it like your suposed to. i hope you give one a try but real high and not near anyhting else.
if somebody wanted to make a sigma4 that didnt fall apart they should begin with 1/4 inch wall tubing. then reduce to 1/8 inch wall then the top 1/2 or 1/3 woudl be 1/16 inch wall tubing and finish the top with a steel whip from a wilson1000. that would survive a hurricaine

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.