1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Wow!!! Galaxy LC 998v most expensive export?

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by undertaker, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Limeybastard

Limeybastard Active Member

I learned in the small time that I've spent on here and experimenting that watts means nothing without at min a half decent antenna setup. Throw all the watts you want , just wasted energy. ( Talking out aloud to myself )

kc0lrp and rabbiporkchop like this.

2. Limeybastard

Im not sure about the heat on the FFB4, but on the N4 the heat aint so much the amp unit but the mosfet or whatever they are called that are mounted on the side of the chasis frame.

3. Troubleshooter

Troubleshooter Supporting Member

Like I said, if they are tuned correctly heat will usually not be a problem, but most try to get the most watts out of them , heat then becomes an issue. I have heard a number of people were blowing mosfets in the N4 because of an improper tune... I could be wrong though...

#18 Troubleshooter, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    rabbiporkchop likes this.
  4. Limeybastard

Even low power it gets hot, fb754 region , noticable when amp cover removed. IMG_20170620_005523.jpg

5. Troubleshooter

Troubleshooter Supporting Member

Gotcha, they do run hot, I said that.. :) But if tuned correctly and not over driven with a very aggressive tune to squeeze every watt you can get, then heat usually will not cause an issue with blown mosfets or pills in the amplifier section..

6. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Well-Known Member

Without a very aggressive tune to remove all the IMD it will get hot.
    It's a shame they couldn't spend a few extra bucks per unit and use beta matched transistors to eliminate some of that IMD.

7. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

That is why you get the radio from a reputable shop....

8. rabbiporkchop

There's varying degrees of reputable also.
    The ones that think the laws of physics don't matter when it comes to taking precise measurements are the ones that slightly misalign every radio that crosses their bench even though they have good intentions.
    It stands to reason that if someone's bench isn't configured to take precise measurements then any adjustment they make will be slightly wrong.

#23 rabbiporkchop, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  9. loosecannon

loosecannon Sr. Member

you guys just don't get the finer points of Galaxy radio design.

They design them to run hot on purpose. It serves to heat up the oscillator crystals faster in order to minimize drift. :whistle::whistle::whistle:

LC

10. rabbiporkchop

If he's only charging $100 for $279 worth of parts, that's a big red flag.
    Screenshot_20170819-172743.png

11. rabbiporkchop

A matched set of four red dots only saves you $7 so that's still $171 more than he's charging you. Something sounds fishy.
    Screenshot_20170819-173140.jpg

12. Limeybastard

I saw a video where Jokerman, retested these transistors and found they were not always truly marched. It pissed him off it would appear in the video.

13. Yeti Communications Ltd

Yeti Communications Ltd Well-Known Member

jason..(jokerman) the beta test he was doing is not the same gear the manufacturers use so therefore the current applied is different so therefore the reading is different ..most beta testers for transistors are for small signal transistors not rf finals which require more current to switch on ..the results will be different.

if the test unit can not supply the necessary needed parameters to even switch the transistor on correctly how is one to expect a consistent resultant reading? ..many have posted videos on youtube of this fact (so called amp "builders" etc) ..it was actually me that pointed this out to jason some months ago ..now hes changed his "tune '

14. rabbiporkchop

If you pay RF Parts the extra fee, they will beta match them for you.
    I Don't think any amplifier builders go the extra mile to provide that extra value to their customers.

15. Limeybastard

Yeah, he was basically using a meter called a cricket? Alot of the figures matched on what was supplied to him but some didn't. If that makes any sense. I think RF parts was written on the packaging.