• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

X-Force 600HD Smoked

A few pictures to update the progress. I also upgraded to 4 AWG wire.

IMG_20200612_183415310_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200612_183312222.jpg
IMG_20200612_183252362.jpg
IMG_20200612_183209920.jpg
IMG_20200612_183122571.jpg
IMG_20200612_183101935.jpg

I was wondering if you had gotten any further on project. Have you tested it yet?
I did a little testing with it today, the output match is perfect. Barely moves the needle off of 1. Better than I could have hoped for. The input match is around 3:1 and the variable cap seems to make no difference. Maybe its time to try the input coil idea?

Reactions: 2NC995
Is it me, or are the mica caps on the input transformers too high in value? I was thinking they need to be 330pf, not 500pf. The 468 trimmer is suitable for its application, unless it got damaged and it's open. Usually, it's best to use the trimmer cap to dial in the input match, then measure the value of the trimmer, then replace it with a proper 1kv mica capacitor of the same value.

~Cheers~

Anymore testing? Should be around 230-240pf for input tune. But with it being biased, may affect input tune slightly. Back in my early days, I put a 4610 trimmer across input transformers and tuned it properly. No guessing on values. Did this across output transformers as well. Tuned the amp for output, while watching current draw. Worried more about input than maximum smoke. Tried to find the happy spot. Not just assembling and calling it good.

Anymore testing? Should be around 230-240pf for input tune. But with it being biased, may affect input tune slightly. Back in my early days, I put a 4610 trimmer across input transformers and tuned it properly. No guessing on values. Did this across output transformers as well. Tuned the amp for output, while watching current draw. Worried more about input than maximum smoke. Tried to find the happy spot. Not just assembling and calling it good.
I haven't had a chance to do anymore testing, probably get to it one day this week after work. Putting the trimmers on the transformers sounds interesting. Someone here showed an amp that had this on the input, I think it was a Palomar or something. How would a variable cap on each input transformer be tuned so it would still be balanced? By measuring the current draw on each pair and making them the same current? I will look to see if I have a 464 or 465, maybe that's all it needs.

I am still amazed that the output SWR barely moves the needle, its just like my tube amp. And I haven't lost any power with the extra feedback resistors either. After I get this XForce dialed in, I am going to take another look at my Texas Star 350.

Reactions: 2NC995
With trimmers across input transformers, I adjust for lowest vswr on input. Then I remove and measure. Sometimes when I pull they aren’t the same. So I add the 2 values and then divide by 2. Then whatever that number is, I try to use closest or exact value and solder the fixed value across both transformers.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated