• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

X-Force 600HD Smoked

IMG_20200620_144822233.jpg

Reactions: Naysayer and 2NC995
How’s she workin’, Shade?
I found a panel mount 464 and took the bracket off. Put it in and the SWR on the input is the same 3:1 at any adjustment. So then I put the 330pf caps back on the transformers. Then I could adjust from 3:1 to 2:1 but that's the lowest it will go. I will get some trimmers to put across the input transformers so I can dial it in. The 955 would do ok with 2:1 but it would bug me not to get it below 2:1. Stay tuned.

Half the trick with licking this issue is knowing the direction of the error. Is the input twice the desired impedance? Or half?

Two to one SWR only tells you the magnitude of the error, not the direction up or down from 50 ohms.

Quick and dirty way is to take a 100 ohm resistor a couple of Watts rating or more, and shunt it in parallel with the amp's input. From the center of the input-side coax coming from the relay to ground.

If this pushes the reading above 2 to 1, the amp's input impedance is already below 50 ohms.

And if you see the reading fall, the amp's input is above 50.

A small coil between the input coax and the trimmer cap usually works best to bring down a too-low impedance. Placing the coil between the trimmer cap and the splitter input should help if it's too high. The tricky part is "how small" the coil needs to be.

Cut and try.

Half the trick with licking this issue is knowing the direction of the error. Is the input twice the desired impedance? Or half?

Two to one SWR only tells you the magnitude of the error, not the direction up or down from 50 ohms.

Quick and dirty way is to take a 100 ohm resistor a couple of Watts rating or more, and shunt it in parallel with the amp's input. From the center of the input-side coax coming from the relay to ground.

If this pushes the reading above 2 to 1, the amp's input impedance is already below 50 ohms.

A small coil between the input coax and the trimmer cap usually works best to bring down a too-low impedance. Placing the coil between the trimmer cap and the splitter input should help if it's too high. The tricky part is "how small" the coil needs to be.

Cut and try.

Great info. Thanks!

Cut and try.

I put the 330pf caps back on the transformers and made a resistor up with a clip so I could A/B test it. With it connected, it would bring the SWR back up to 3:1. So reducing the impedance had a negative effect like it was already too low. So now I will work on making a small coil to go between the coax and input. Thanks for this bit of information, it took me a few times reading it before it sunk in.

IMG_20200623_193915072.jpg
IMG_20200623_180450952.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.