• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

X-Force 600HD Smoked

I found this set of Toshiba from a seller I have bought from before. The reviews are good too. A matched set of four for $150. Is it too good to be true?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-SELLER...ductor-Super-FAST-SHIP-NY-Seller/124009883989

View attachment 33197

I could be wrong here but I thought all new real Toshibas come individually on Toshiba branded cards inside Toshiba branded "e bags" or large quantities on long strips of branded packaging ?? This is just something I read when I was looking to replace the pills in my straight 8 (which has now disappeared) from a local "Cb shop" but that's a whole other story lol

73's Winkdogg

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I could be wrong here but I thought all new real Toshibas come individually on Toshiba branded cards inside Toshiba branded "e bags" or large quantities on long strips of branded packaging ?? This is just something I read when I was looking to replace the pills in my straight 8 (which has now disappeared) from a local "Cb shop" but that's a whole other story lol

73's Winkdogg

I only ever bought from RF parts, and it was only a couple times and so long ago...

But...four, matched, at $150?

The circumstantial info is overwhelming!

Ok guys, thanks for all the help and support. This is truly the best place to be! A little update, i ordered some transistors from RF parts. Their brand HG as a matched quad and they fully test the transistors and put them through their quality control process. For a little bit more than the regular HG from somewhere else, it is worth the piece of mind. I got the 80w Weller pencil with the 3/8 tip and also ordered the 1/4 inch tip too.

IMG_20200125_083026747.jpg

Last edited:
The RC car work bench in the back room is slowly being transformed into a radio bench. I need to find a smaller scope, the one I have is too big for the shelf. Haha. I brought the Stryker 440 from the garage and ran a temporary piece of coax across the floor to the station to connect to the antenna coax. Now I just need a better watt meter, a bigger dummy load etc. And the list goes on......

IMG_20200125_083151703.jpg

Checking out the iron, I think the paperwork says it does 900 degrees. Wow it fries the heck out of some solder! I will probably get a light dimmer as was suggested, but for now I am going to use the 25w bulb voltage dropper that I started up my grandfather's Hammerlund with. With one bulb lit, there was not enough power to effectively heat the iron. But it does make a great stand by mode, so I can turn the bulb off and be ready to go in less than a minuet. I am tempted to put it on a foot pedal haha!

IMG_20200125_090222399.jpg

Shade, I’m just getting around to dabbling with an LCR meter. Aside from radios, never had a need to test low values in my job.

The cheapo I bought from Amazon has consistently been within 10% of the low value capacitors I’ve checked.

That aside, it’s not been nearly as useful as I had hoped for inductance. Just doesn’t go low enough.

The RC car work bench in the back room is slowly being transformed into a radio bench. I need to find a smaller scope, the one I have is too big for the shelf. Haha. I brought the Stryker 440 from the garage and ran a temporary piece of coax across the floor to the station to connect to the antenna coax. Now I just need a better watt meter, a bigger dummy load etc. And the list goes on......

View attachment 33665
That's the way my bench went. All RC cars, boats and airplanes were built on it and re-built on it.

I pulled the output tune capacitor to check it. I guess the Fluke 16 needs a few more zeros and won't measure it. What does anyone use to check capacitors?

View attachment 33667

I use a $20 cap meter from amazon. It's accurate enough to find matching caps or measure a tuning trimmer and replace it with a fixed value.

BTW. The temp controller for your soldering iron is great. (y)

I got the transistors in, the diode on the iron's power works great. I put it across one of the bulb switches so I can switch it in and out. With a single bulb as stand by mode along with the diode, I have total control. I ordered an elcheapo component checker from Amazon this morning, free same day delivery. How do they make any money doing that? Anyhow, I should know if the output tune capacitor is good by this evening.

IMG_20200126_161723527.jpg

Reactions: 2NC995
I finally got around to checking the output capacitor. It read 130pf and is marked 150pf with 20% tolerance. So I guess its ok. I put it back in for now until I can figure out how to figure out what it needs to be.

This is the Chinese checker that I got.

IMG_20200208_220051365.jpg

Reactions: 2NC995

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?