• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima MK3 Mobile

I think you're gonna like the optima mk3 undertaker. It really is the best export radio for SSB I've used to this day. And even with all the new shizz coming out it still remains right at the top of the pile when it comes to being a good radio!! Enjoy!!

Reactions: Mudduckmobile
I'm sure Yeti Comm LTD. can answer that question as he will most likely be the one working on your radio undertaker. As far as shipping in post #101 it states 5-7 business days. So I would say by end of next week. And the radio is in great hands! Like I said, I am pretty darn sure you will be happy with it. Get a good external speaker. I actually found that the Wilson metal box speaker works well with the optima mk3. I tried several different speakers in the Mobile and the Wilson one always did the best. They are actually well built if you open one up. At any rate, I am sure there are other external speakers that sound good with them. The Wilson one I still use on my base setup as it works well and doesn't distort when turned up. Like I said I'm sure there are better options, but for what I paid for mine it was worth it as it took a heck of beating laying face up on the dash of my mobile for about 2yrs and is now being used almost daily on my base setup as well with some other speakers. Just some food for thought. And like
I said, the tech is actually Mr. Yeti Comm LTD. himself. Read post #101 again and you will understand more. Good day!!

Radionut57, have you had a chance to use the radio?? How do you like it?? And where did you get yours? Also, what mic was included, the stock mic that is as I see you got the Icom mic.
Just a brief review would be nice. Thx. Just curious as to what others truly think about this radio vs some of the others that are out currently. I know the answer myself, but it's nice to see what others truly think. Thx for any replies. Good day.

W2EKG - I think you will find many here that are very pleased with the Optima. It depends on what you are looking for in a radio of course, but for straight forward SSB operation I am very happy with mine. I think you will find more good reviews than bad where you to start searching.
If it were me I'd get the Optima.

Why would you get the CRE-8900?

W2EKG - I think you will find many here that are very pleased with the Optima. It depends on what you are looking for in a radio of course, but for straight forward SSB operation I am very happy with mine. I think you will find more good reviews than bad where you to start searching.
If it were me I'd get the Optima.

Why would you get the CRE-8900?
Point taken. Both are on my radar, modern vehicles space is at a premium, otherwise I'd put in a 2950/148 sized radio in the moble.

love my optima mklll, best ssb rig, i think. i have rci 2970n4, love it for am, and some ssb but worked on it to get it good. my mklll out of the box, hands off is tops. i did put a 636L mic on it (did the ch. buttons myself too), and just the other day put a texas star 500 behind it, talked to NZ. looking west 4 contacts, and looking east Bermuda, all on am. ssb is off the hook! the optima mklll rocks, i would traid my rci 2970n4 for an optima mklll, and a little amp anyday.
Mobile Unit 1358 Central Oregon, got down. Oh i run a 102 ss wip w/4 in. spring on my pick up truck....it gets the job done.

Reactions: 222DBFL
Hey 222DBFL Well I've had a chance to work the SSB the last couple of days can give it a thumbs up on the SSB great receive, I like the IF filter feature really makes a difference with the white noise, have to turn the volume up a bit but it really brings in the quality of the operators voice if that makes any sense.... the mistake I made was buying it on eBay from a third party, It didn't come with the updated mic and he doesn't honor any warranty....also no peak and tune or conversion...The conversion was simple enough, just took the jumper out put it back in the box...... The only thing I don't like about it is the mic, need to buy a base mic for it, and I'll be good to go...I bought it off coldfrontstores I did contact Mike at yeti communications LTD via email I can say that he was very helpful and explained things for me.....Mudduckmobile waving a hand from the central coast of California we had that short skip out there last week heard Oregon Washington...channel 28 ....#157 73......

Reactions: 222DBFL
Good deal. As far as the mic goes, get an Icom SM30 desk mic or similar. Pretty much same mic as the HM36 but in a desk mic form. Most any electrec condensor Icom mic wired for 8 pin will work. And yes the phantom mic is small!! More for a walkie talkie if you know what I mean. You can make the stock mic work a bit better by drilling the mic hole out a bit and also by pulling the sticker that says phantom or something on it. The one on the front. This opens up some holes in the mic allowing for your voice to enter the mic a bit better IMO.
As far as other mics, like I said, most any good Icom desk mic is going to sound good with it as long as it an electrec condensor mic wired for 8 pin Icom radio. At any rate glad to get some more feedback about these radios with all the new stuff coming out, they actually are one of the top dogs IMO! Especially for SSB use. And yes the filter is awesome. If you get a good eternal speaker you can crank the volume up and not distort the external speaker, as far as using the filter goes, it truly does work well and cuts a lot of crap out and yes it understand what you're saying about the quality of the sound. It makes a difference in the received signal and cleans it up for sure. At any rate, just some food for though on the stock mic. The mods shown below worked well for me and seemed to help with the audio. And it doesn't have bad audio out of the stock mic, it's just the darn thing is made for a 3yr old LOL!! Even Yeti Comm LTD. stated that he argued about the mic with the actual producer of the radio. Most end up getting aftermarket mics anyway is what is funny. Even with other radios. Only couple radios I have ever used the stock mic on were a Uniden pc68, magnum 257hp, and the older cobra coffin mic. The rest of my mics were all bought without radios and I've a few. All mobile hand held mics. At any rate, check out the Icom line of mics for that radio. Someone ordered an SM30 desk mic I think or was talking about it. I am pretty sure like I said, I think that most of the Icom mics sound good with the radio. I have used an Icom HM36, an HM12, and one of the knock off mics as well as various other mics, and found that the HM36 seemed to work the best. This is the made in Japan one. I just saved a search for them on eBay and when a used one popped up I got a message and bid on it to win it. No one else even bid on it TBH. I got very lucky, and I only spent about $27 or so shipped for it and it works great.
All the Mumbo Jumbo aside. Save your money up and get a good desk mic if that is what you want!! Or try to find an HM36 made in Japan mic. I'd venture to say someone here may have one they will part with. Not me, but maybe someone else. Or like I said, save up and get a good Icom desk mic like the SM-30. Even Eham reviews give it a 4.9 out of 5, and that is with a few reviews anyways. Yes they are a bit expensive, but you're getting a good mic for sure from the looks and reviews. I might save up and get one now looking more at them. Wouldn't mind trying one on my Icom 746. At any rate, enjoy that radio and try the mods I mentioned. You can always place the sticker back if you feel it doesn't do anything. Drilling the mic hole is about a must IMO. Hard to see the pin hole!!

Reactions: Mudduckmobile

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.