• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

yeticom Optima3

The optima mk3 is a good radio. Uses an icom 8 pin mic. Adapters are on eBay to make them 4 pin for cobra mic's. For the price, it's a hard to beat radio!!

Is it possible to get a Extreme 2018 wired to work with the yeticom? Thanks.

Sure. I've used it. It has a good strong clear audio with this radio. In fact, there is a 2018 microphone wired specifically for the 257 magnum radio. Which gets power from the Mike Jack instead of using a 9 V battery. Will have to rewire the end to fit the eight pin optima, but pin two I believe has eight or 9 V.

CbRadiosPRONTO

Thinking about getting this radio, looking at their website it says the radio now has a more robust mike. How does the new mike sound in a noisy environment such as a semi? Plus does it have louder audio then before? I am looking at this vs. a rci 2950dx. I will be using the radio's power alone trying to make some skip contacts in my semi and maybe trying it out in my pickup. I know conditions make the real difference, BUT which would be the better choice for making more contacts on ssb and still sounding good on AM, the yeticom or 2950? Is it possible to get a Extreme 2018 wired to work with the yeticom? Thanks.

for a semi install i probaly wouldnt use that radio. for that install id say get the galaxy
94hp or 98 vhp. i know there bigger/heavier but if mounted on dash properly
there pretty robust. and i think they have echeo built in. in a pick up the 2950/optima
might be ok. ive done some side work at local cbshop and seen some 2950s
absolutey destroyed in semis. bel.ieve it or not connex and galaxy seem to hold
about the best

Optima on EBay

Duster, do you know if the ones sold on EBay are the export models with the continous tuning from 10 thru 12 meter? The only one I find on there is from Cold Front Sales and the ad reads "10 & 12 meter" rather than
10 thru 12 meter. It comes both ways and I want the 10 thru 12. Cold Front Sales doesn't respond to messages asking for clarification.

Thanks in advance.

Duster, do you know if the ones sold on EBay are the export models with the continous tuning from 10 thru 12 meter? The only one I find on there is from Cold Front Sales and the ad reads "10 & 12 meter" rather than
10 thru 12 meter. It comes both ways and I want the 10 thru 12. Cold Front Sales doesn't respond to messages asking for clarification.

Thanks in advance.

all the optima mk radios are 10 thu 12 meter,, just depends on the jumper setting in the radio,, ones from yeticom come open 10 thu 12,,, the ebay ones you have to remove the jumper for freeband mode

The jumpers (4) are found on the main board behind the 8
pin microphone socket. Only one jumper should be
engaged at a time.

Ham Mode 24.5 to 24.999mhz & 28.0 to 29.999mhz
Toggle between 12m and 10m by use of the call button.

NZ CB Mode 26.330 to 26.770mhz.
Covers the NZ 40ch CB band in 10khz steps and optional
channel readout.
Func and call to toggle between channel and frequency.
Shift function is not available.

USA/AUS 40ch CB Mode
Covers the USA 40ch CB band in 10khz steps and optional
channel readout.
Func and call to toggle between channel and frequency.
Shift function is not available.

Freeband Mode
All functions and
24.5 to 29.9mhz continuous coverage. No jumpers.

Reactions: 2 people
all the optima mk radios are 10 thu 12 meter,, just depends on the jumper setting in the radio,, ones from yeticom come open 10 thu 12,,, the ebay ones you have to remove the jumper for freeband mode

I knew about the jumpers, but thanks for the info.

I'm wanting to get one with freeband setup and could change jumper settings myself if they were set differently, but I kinda hate to void the warranty on a brand new radio from day one by breaking the seals to get inside.

I believe they already come in freeband mode. Go to the yeticom web site and the info and updates of releases are all posted there. There was no need to open the one I had other than to align the radio on am to the proper frequency and turn the modulation up some. The other thing I did was to turn the rf/sig meter down a bit on the receive side some as well as it was very sensitive. JMO. Good radio. Does what it says!! For the price, it's a great radio. The stock mic is small, performs okay, but I think a better mic is offered through yeticom. Overall, it's been a solid performer for me. I still like my magnum 257hp though!!! But I will update after I get another mic and play some more. Again JMO.

the ones from yeticom come in freeband mode,(and now come with a better mic that they add), the ones that ship direct to the usa and are sold on ebay come set in ham mode(from what I have seen,, this could change anytime I guess)

dave at yeticom designed the optima radios to his specs and originally were only sold through yeticom,,, but something happened and the factory building them now sends a small shipment every few months direct to the usa and they don't go through yeticom,,, bad deal for yeticom.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
dave at yeticom designed the optima radios to his specs and originally were only sold through yeticom,,, but something happened and the factory building them now sends a small shipment every few months direct to the usa and they don't go through yeticom,,, bad deal for yeticom.

That's a long, time-honored Chinese tradition. :laugh:

Brett

for a semi install i probaly wouldnt use that radio. for that install id say get the galaxy
94hp or 98 vhp. i know there bigger/heavier but if mounted on dash properly
there pretty robust. and i think they have echeo built in. in a pick up the 2950/optima
might be ok. ive done some side work at local cbshop and seen some 2950s
absolutey destroyed in semis. bel.ieve it or not connex and galaxy seem to hold
about the best

Yeah I have a connex 3300hp that I have had for 14 years and it took the abuse of the semi, but it finally gave in and would cost too much to repair. Plus I really want ssb so maybe i will look at a Galaxy 99v2. It seems to be an ok radio, I have heard both good and bad on it. I like the looks and price of the VR 9000, but it has no rf or mic gain which seems strange to me. And wonder if it could stand up to abuse.

Anyhow I am sending my Magnum off to the warranty center for repairs and I'll see where I go from there. Really hoping to get the Magnum s45 back in good working condition. I like that radio quite a bit.

In the meantime I've had my little 980ssb radio tuned up and am now getting a good 12 watts on sideband so maybe I'll have some luck making contact on ssb if the conditions are good.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.