• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 meters, is it really that bad???

Radio Tech

Radio Operator
Sep 9, 2008
North Carolina
www.gokarters.com
I have been in ham radio for almost 20 years now. I have been using 10 meters for many a year. Before I got my General I was on 10 or 40 meter CW. Always had good contacts on 10 when the band was open.

I been reading threads on other places where folks are complaining how bad 10 meters has become. Folks are saying that it has turned into cb. That there are a bunch of lids on the band. That there are echo mics and roger beeps, poor audio quality and just plain nonsense.

Well, I don't hear all that.
Could it be that they are running verticals and my horizontal antenna does not hear it?
Or is it over active imagination?

What I do hear is new hams that need mentors. New folks that need guidance to become better ops. Instead of b&&*#ing and complaining help a new ham out. That is what I try to do.

And the BS about all new hams have the cb mentality is beating a worthless dead horse. I have listen to new ops using poor habits on 10. I look up there call and send them an e-mail offering to help them in learning to become better operators. I have only had one turn me down. And he was not even a cber (his claim). Really out of a lot of folks there was only 4 that were from cb. And they gladly accepted my help.

So, why do new hams that did not come from cb talk like that on 10 meters? It is what they grew up with. Maybe watched to many episodes of Smokey and the bandit..

Just wish folks would start back being roll models to be a solution to the problem. People will accept help when needed.

All of those complaining are not Elmering new people.
That is the way it used to be - but all they do now is complain.
Point is - they are as much of the problem as anyone.
If Hams are a self-regulating body that is resposible for their own - then that has changed.

At this rate, qrz.com will be extinct in the next ten years.
While the WWRF will be taking up the slack and actually teaching Hams how to operate like Hams...
;)

Hey RT,

I agree with you. Surely you are getting these "complaints" from QRZ. That place is Whiner Central. I wouldn't let it get to you. I'm on 10 all the time mainly because that is the only band I have at the moment besides a 2 meter in the vehicle. 99% of what I hear on 10 is straight up okay.

So keep on using 10, help out the newbies when you find them.....and stay thirsty my friend
oregonian_winesmiley.gif

interview.gif

Haven't heard any myself. I did hear an old timer go irate because a local asked him to please turn his amp down because he was splattering from around 28.370 down to where we were on 28.360. They were a group of older gentleman having a round table several states away. The one reprimanded stated he was an OO and was going to report the guy in our group. That's the only incident I've heard on 10m and the problem wasn't from a newbie.

Haven't heard any myself. I did hear an old timer go irate because a local asked him to please turn his amp down because he was splattering from around 28.370 down to where we were on 28.360. They were a group of older gentleman having a round table several states away. The one reprimanded stated he was an OO and was going to report the guy in our group. That's the only incident I've heard on 10m and the problem wasn't from a newbie.

You have the right to complain.
If there is a 'next time' - get his call sign, look him up and send him a OO card.
Don't let him scare you off by his claim that that he is an OO.

An OO would know better...He just got caught...That's all..
:blink:

10 meters was probably my favorite band, except that this last solar cycle killed it. Why? Because people tend to be less "stuffy" there. In my book, there is a difference between being a bad operator and being a "colorful" operator. Just because someone talks different than you, uses a little bit of slang, and is having a good time doesn't mean they're a bad op. Ham radio is a hobby, and it's supposed to be fun! Here, for all you math types: STUFFY <> FUN :love:. So I say, yes...help bad ops become better ops, but have an open mind and let people have fun as long as they're not giving ham radio a bad name.

LOL...that's a game of poker right there. Old Fart ham says, "don't tell me I'm splattering, I'm an Official Observer". You gotta counter with, "well, I'm officially observing and recording you on my computer with a bandscope that shows your station splattering for 20khz, so if you want to remain an OO please clean it up a bit". Even if you're not recording it...old fart ham doesn't even know how to rip an MP3 from a CD, let alone use his computer to do something like that. End of discussion. Best bluff wins :love:

:LOL: Yeah, that would be good ! It was funny after he was reprimanded the splatter stopped even though he said over and over he didn't have an amp cranked up. We followed the splatter up to where they were.

QRZ sucks ballz

Hey RT,

I agree with you. Surely you are getting these "complaints" from QRZ. That place is Whiner Central. I wouldn't let it get to you. I'm on 10 all the time mainly because that is the only band I have at the moment besides a 2 meter in the vehicle. 99% of what I hear on 10 is straight up okay.

So keep on using 10, help out the newbies when you find them.....and stay thirsty my friend
oregonian_winesmiley.gif

interview.gif

I get so tired of all the incessant whining that goes on over there. I like their ham exams, and their news feeds, but please. One visit to the forum on QRZ and you know why "Ham Radio is dying".

Here's a freakin' newsflash: If you'd get on the air 1/10th of the time you spend whining, lamenting and protesting the sorry state of your (and, by association, "my") affairs on QRZ, the hobby would not "die".

Arghh!

Anyways, back on subject. I hear some folks on 10M occasionally that sound like "CB'ers" and use adjectives like "them there" and "cotton-pickin". Guess what, folks... I was born and raised in the South, and many times that is just the way we converse, whether it is face-to-face or over the air. It has nothing to do with education, (edumacation?) and everything to do with propinquity to JAWJA. Whilst angry, I do not say "Why, Jeeves, you have simply ruined my buffet and I am now going to be forced to insert my penis into your orifice of mastication." No, that's not how one talks 'round here. So Sorry. We say things like "put mah foot in yer ass", "tap you in the teeth", "faster than a scalded hog" ('parboiled porcine' for you college graduates), and all sorts of other colloquialisms.

Key the mic.
Make the contact.
Give your call sign as required.

What, you found yourself saying "My name is Rob" instead of "The Handle Here is Rob. ROMEO-OSCAR-BRAVO"?

Good for you. My God, you're actually having a conversation with someone like they're sitting across the table from you? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, say it isn't so!

I can see it now. "Jess, I heard a roger beep on 10m last night. Hey Fred, Al heard a roger beep on 10m last night. Hey James, Jess, Fred, and Al have been hearing roger beeps on 10m.

James on QRZ-
"What's with all the roger beeps on 10m ? Getting like CB there now."

Wow!,
Lots of good positive replies from every one!!!!
I go back later and re-read everything. Very busy here in the shop today. Even had old time hams and cb'ers here at the same time. With no fighting!.

Here is another thing that gets me: A new ham goes to nother web site. After reading the forst three replies to his question he is fed up with ham radio already. I know the question has been asked 100 times already. But every one does not know how to google and some times searching threads on a forum is a night mare. Just the other day I googled a SCR for a astron power supply. Went to many sites and none had a price. In one link I saw the part number and 10 dollars. So I clicked on it. The pc lost the desk top. Have not been able to retrieve it. So I installed a new one, slave the other one. Site must had been tagged with a mal-ware trojan. The hard drive is used on my bench so all my schematics are on it.

With the proliferation of export radios, you are bound to get some cross over of CB onto 10 meters, I have yet to hear anything worth complaining about, although I did hear a contact a few weeks back where the one operator politely asked the other to "kindly turn off his roger beep as he was now on an amateur radio frequency, and not 11 meters where such things are acceptable".....
The the guy with the roger beep apologized, turned it off, and the QSO continued....

I for one have no problem with a roger beep, it does let the other operator know you have finished talking and unkeyed your mic, and that can be helpful with noisy band conditions, many 2 meter and 440 repeaters use them, and no one complains about them, so why is it such a big issue with hams on the HF bands.....?

I'll agree that noise toys and echo mics have no place in amateur radio, but a simple roger beep isn't hurting anyone.....:confused:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio