• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

102" whip vs the rest

Thanks for learning me this is all new stuff :glare: Do RX antennas radiate also?

Build one and find out.

The thread is about 102" steel whip not receive antennas, if you want to get information on receive antennas recommend start a new thread, you will get more replies that way.

:

This thread isn't funny
putertired.gif
But if funny is what ya want then see the current "tower mounted frs radio" thread in the other forum where they want to mount a hand held frs radio up on a tower and run remote keying wires to it so they'll get out better. Now that's a million laughs
25r30wi.gif

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Except the tower mounted FRS radio will actually get out better. Just like a repeater but with a wired input rather then another RF channel. I've seen more ridiculous things then this in an attempt to get maximum range while keeping the FCC happy.

I've seen one Motorola Two-Way low band system done very similar to this and controlled by 2 wires from almost a mile away. Suitable tower space was one mile from the ambulance dispatch offices. The antenna and transmitter were located at the tower. The phone company was contacted and what is known as a "dry pair" was dedicated to this path to link the audio and transmitter keying circuits.

The dry pair consists of just two phone conductors that do not pass through any switching or amplification. The technology was old and I believe when the operator keyed their mic, a sub-audible tone along with your audio was sent over the phone line to the transmitter. The transmitter had a detector connected to the phone line looking to this particular sub tone. Once heard, the transmitter keying relay was activated and this relay also switched the audio from the receiver to the transmitter once the sub tone was filtered out.

On the other hand, this idea of a loaded antenna having more gain or field strength then an unloaded one is not proven. Trying to find the worst possible mounting location to benefit the loaded antenna is almost as hilarious as the guy who said the Wilson was stronger then the 102 inch whip.

I can add a loading coil to your fender mounted 30 inch FM radio antenna and get at least 15db over a 102 inch whip mounted inside your exhaust pipe but that doesn't indicate which antenna is the better performer.

Last edited:
On the other hand, this idea of a loaded antenna having more gain or field strength then an unloaded one is not proven. Trying to find the worst possible mounting location to benefit the loaded antenna is almost as hilarious as the guy who said the Wilson was stronger then the 102 inch whip.

I can add a loading coil to your fender mounted 30 inch FM radio antenna and get at least 15db over a 102 inch whip mounted inside your exhaust pipe but that doesn't indicate which antenna is the better performer.

Shockwave if you are happy with the 102" in your tailpipe then thats the best antenna.

Remote Control Lo Band system

Except the tower mounted FRS radio will actually get out better. Just like a repeater but with a wired input rather then another RF channel. I've seen more ridiculous things then this in an attempt to get maximum range while keeping the FCC happy.

I've seen one Motorola Two-Way low band system done very similar to this and controlled by 2 wires from almost a mile away. Suitable tower space was one mile from the ambulance dispatch offices. The antenna and transmitter were located at the tower. The phone company was contacted and what is known as a "dry pair" was dedicated to this path to link the audio and transmitter keying circuits.

The dry pair consists of just two phone conductors that do not pass through any switching or amplification. The technology was old and I believe when the operator keyed their mic, a sub-audible tone along with your audio was sent over the phone line to the transmitter. The transmitter had a detector connected to the phone line looking to this particular sub tone. Once heard, the transmitter keying relay was activated and this relay also switched the audio from the receiver to the transmitter once the sub tone was filtered out.

SW what you are talking about is a called a DC or Tone remote commonly used as you describe to remotely control a base station radio. The dc type came first and used a small dc current typically 5ma to 20 ma to key the r(y)elay at the other end this type required copper dry pairs to work. The tone version sent an audible tone down the line to key the radio typically 300 hz - 4000 hz the most common tone was 2175hz other tones were used for other functions changing channels disableing ctcss decode etc. Many are still in use today and the tone version works as far as you can afford to pay for the circuit.

73 RCB

Careful, if word gets out how amusing this is to some of us...they might start charging by the laugh and get rich.

One would think that someone that presents themselves as having so much knowledge of loaded antenna's would understand the basics of antenna theory.

By constantly arguing the point of how a loaded antenna is better than a full size just proves that their statements has to be a comedy act, or maybe they read the antenna handbook backwards.

Cheap entertainment indeed.(y)

I have used both and offer their own advantages.

I would say you are a little more than biased, you are also confused.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/81556-all-new-predator-30-k-plus-antenna.html

All New Predator 30-K Plus designed and built by Kale Cavel of Cowtown Antennas in Burleson, Texas. Designed to enhance signals and thus giving 20% better modulation with the big beefy coil at all power levels. The all new Predator 30-K Plus has absolutely no weak points! This all aluminum antenna is for the barefoot station to a 30,000 watt one! The antenna is expected to retail at $120 If you want the edge out there in DX Land this is your weapon, so have at it! Comes with a lifetime warranty and when tuned the antenna is about 6 feet! No luck on finding one, then call Kale at 1-817-790-6239! Put the 30-K on your wish list. Made in the USA, hand built by a man with a heart of gold and determined to meet the needs of the radio operator!

Originally Posted by Bulldog-Unit777
As with all of my posts in reviewing a products there will be positive and negative comments.

GLR Wrote:
That's not a review, it's an advertisement. You have a history of receiving items for free or a reduced cost in exchange for such "reviews".

Mr. Suburban that information is not part of the topic. Any information's presented is my opinion from gathered wordings and experience. Both 102" whips will perform at best with a pot belly spring or 6" stainless steel riser! Some have stated their Predator 10-K's have performed better. It is all about enjoyment of the hobby. It would be best to further tune your set up besides using just swr. An experienced person with a MFJ antenna anaylzer can reveal what is right and wrong with the set up. As for me I am not stuck on just using a whip or Predator antenna.

they most certainly do .
lets not turn this thread into another beat down on bulldog .
please .

Well you can't come out here making claims then not expect to get called on them, he said a antenna provided 20% more audio gain, but the best part is that was a advertisement from the manufacturer...LOL

ok well turn our attention to you, I can see an advantage being you can't use a tall antenna so a smaller antenna is a advantage but what advantage as far as performance when will a coil antenna outperfrom a full 1/4 wave with all certainty.

If you mount a 10k on bumper and a 1/4 wave on bumper which will work better?

If you mount a 10k on roof and a 1/4 wave on roof which will work better?

If you mount a 10k on a fender and a 1/4 on fender which will work better?

You can add the rest.

Mr. Suburban that information is not part of the topic. Any information's presented is my opinion from gathered wordings and experience. Both 102" whips will perform at best with a pot belly spring or 6" stainless steel riser! Some have stated their Predator 10-K's have performed better. It is all about enjoyment of the hobby. It would be best to further tune your set up besides using just swr. An experienced person with a MFJ antenna anaylzer can reveal what is right and wrong with the set up. As for me I am not stuck on just using a whip or Predator antenna.

I would like to know did you say this or not? If those arent your words whose are they? Where did you get this info ? I retrieved them from a post you made.

"Designed to enhance signals and thus giving 20% better modulation with the big beefy coil at all power levels. "

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.