• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10m question...

I have heard 11 meters going Crazy & can't find a beacon or any other signals on 10 meters so I quit using that method long ago.11 meters has far better condition & it's one reason I HATE the FCC for giving away the best band when 10 meters should have become the CB Band.

SIX-SHOOTER

You are one of the VERY few that have a grudge against the FCC for that. AFAIAC CB should never have been put on any HF band and should have been on VHF or UHF considering what it's originally intended purpose was and all the restrictions imposed on it due to it's allocation at 11m. The potential for television interference is virtually nil on V/UHF, low power and higher gain antennas are the way to go to minimize interference and maximize range, FM is SOOO much clearer than AM, and you don't have that little "skip" issue to try and enforce. Not that they have for years but it was on the books.

Reactions: BJ radionut
It is what it is. Don't like it, use MURS or FRS, or get a GMRS license.
Also when I hear complaints about the "loss" of the 11M ham band from someone who was first licensed 30-40 years after said loss, I figure it's just an affectation. Might as well complain about the loss of 5 Meters.

Here is my 2 cents for what it's worth...

I have been playing on 11m for well over 30 years since I was introduced to CB as a kid. I feel that everyone is entitled to comms. I have worked with very high power radios (FCC Licensed) for data link and plan on testing out on Hamm in the next couple of weeks. With that being said I do see the need for a license when it calls for knowledge in the operating environment. I have seen interference from the 11m band especially with crap antennas but with the right gear and filters this can be overcome.

I will say again and if I get banned for it then so be it, it will only prove my point. I see a lot of licensed folks thinking a lot of themselves and bashing on the 11m users for no dang reason.

I have heard 11 meters going Crazy & can't find a beacon or any other signals on 10 meters so I quit using that method long ago.

My observation is the same. I always hear voice on 11 before CW on 10.

I don’t know that there’s much difference in propagation...I always figured it was the power difference between a typical 11m operator and a relatively low power CW beacon (typically on an Omni???).

You are one of the VERY few that have a grudge against the FCC for that. AFAIAC CB should never have been put on any HF band and should have been on VHF or UHF considering what it's originally intended purpose was and all the restrictions imposed on it due to it's allocation at 11m. The potential for television interference is virtually nil on V/UHF, low power and higher gain antennas are the way to go to minimize interference and maximize range, FM is SOOO much clearer than AM, and you don't have that little "skip" issue to try and enforce. Not that they have for years but it was on the books.

I know many who agree that giving 11 meters up for CB was a Mistake and we have discussed it for many years.It’s typical of Government screwing up something so we would not expect otherwise.It can never be corrected because we can’t turn back the hands of time.If we could I would have gotten my Amateur Radio License in the 70’s when two local friends who had theirs tried to convince me to get it.I thought I could never learn CW & pass the test yet I did before the FCC once again screwed up & did away with having any requirement for it either.I don’t use CW but I still think it should be required at least for the Extra Class License.It’s a disgrace what has become of 11 meters and I quit even trying to get anyone new to get on the band long ago because it’s a disaster so I invite them to Amateur Radio and several have joined the radio hobby that way.I much prefer a civilized form of communication over total anarchy so it’s Rare that I use 11 meters these days but I have over 160 CB’s in my Personal Collection when I do but I usually don’t stick around for very long.It’s far different than it was in the 60’s & 70’s & not in a positive way so it does not hold my interest like Amateur Radio.I don’t get adults acting worse than children so I just use CB to chat with a few locals and then turn it Off for months at the time and for the most part I use Amateur Radio every day and it’s part of something I will always enjoy.

SIX-SHOOTER

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
I agree that the CW requirement should have never been eliminated. What I think would have been good when the international Morse code requirement ended is as follows:
Technician: all privileges of Tech Plus with no Morse requirement. That means full privileges on VHF and above, CW in the N/T subbands of 80, 40, 15 and 10, and 10M phone on 28.3-28.5. Actually I would probably be on board with expanded 10M privileges for Technicians to include the 29 MHz FM and AM subbands.

General: written and 5 wpm code.

Advanced: written and 13 wpm code, just as it used to be.

Extra: again just as it used to be, written and 20 wpm code.

As for 11M, like I said it is what it is. As least it is getting some use. If 11M CB didn't exist, neither would the inexpensive radios we enjoy playing with. 11M would be just another unused band on our expensive HF rigs. Don't think so? Alright, then tell me why there is so little activity on 12M.
And who would we even talk to on an 11M ham band? We couldn't talk to any of the foreign DX on 11, because they're not Amateur allocations either. Cross-service communication is illegal.

Reactions: Slowmover
I agree that the CW requirement should have never been eliminated. What I think would have been good when the international Morse code requirement ended is as follows:
Technician: all privileges of Tech Plus with no Morse requirement. That means full privileges on VHF and above, CW in the N/T subbands of 80, 40, 15 and 10, and 10M phone on 28.3-28.5. Actually I would probably be on board with expanded 10M privileges for Technicians to include the 29 MHz FM and AM subbands.

As for 11M, like I said it is what it is. As least it is getting some use. If 11M CB didn't exist, neither would the inexpensive radios we enjoy playing with. 11M would be just another unused band on our expensive HF rigs. Don't think so? Alright, then tell me why there is so little activity on 12M.
And who would we even talk to on an 11M ham band? We couldn't talk to any of the foreign DX on 11, because they're not Amateur allocations either. Cross-service communication is illegal.

Well-said.

Reactions: WECSOG
I agree that the CW requirement should have never been eliminated. What I think would have been good when the international Morse code
Ham radio would have died quick death of CW was kept. I summit the best at CW, 10wpm, but I am glad it's not a requirement (except for Extra as there are way to many book smart extras)

The WARC Bands have never been as popular as the other bands none of them.I don’t mind because they are also the only escape from the endless Contesting that ruins the rest of the bands on so many weekends of the year.I escape to the WARC Bands because I Hate Contesting and of not for them I would not turn my HF/6 meter radio on all weekend during those times and that’s a lot of weekends.

SIX-SHOOTER

Ham radio would have died quick death of CW was kept. I summit the best at CW, 10wpm, but I am glad it's not a requirement (except for Extra as there are way to many book smart extras)

I never wanted to be an Extra Class and never will be.I am Retired and don’t have enough time to operate all of the band space I have as a General Class.I passed the 5 wpm code with straight copy and don’t know any code since it’s been a long time and I Hate the sound of code because it gives me a headache.

SIX-SHOOTER

The WARC Bands have never been as popular as the other bands none of them.I don’t mind because they are also the only escape from the endless Contesting that ruins the rest of the bands on so many weekends of the year.I escape to the WARC Bands because I Hate Contesting and of not for them I would not turn my HF/6 meter radio on all weekend during those times and that’s a lot of weekends.

SIX-SHOOTER
Both 17 and 30 are quite popular, and it is not difficult to make contacts on both. Not 12, though: it's dead even during band openings.

I never wanted to be an Extra Class and never will be.I am Retired and don’t have enough time to operate all of the band space I have as a General Class.I passed the 5 wpm code with straight copy and don’t know any code since it’s been a long time and I Hate the sound of code because it gives me a headache.

SIX-SHOOTER
I don't consider myself an expert Morse operator, but I worked my way through all of the license classes including Advanced and Extra. One of my favorite facets of the radio hobby is building and operating simple, CW-only QRP rigs.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.