• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10m question...

It is open even less than 11 meters due to the lack of Sunspots but if 11 meter is really Good then 10 meters is usually Open so make some noise & somebody will find you.28.4000 USB is usually a gathering place & many call it the 10 meter Calling Frequency but in Fact 10 meter SSB does NOT have a Calling Frequency at all if you check the Band Plan Chart.Some people make stuff up & others don't Fact Check what they hear or read & they pass the False information along until many believe it's true & it's nothing more than a Myth.I much prefer Facts myself.Don't take what you see me type as Fact PLEASE look it up for yourself & just looking at the ARRL band Plan Chart will give you the answer. {:>)

SIX-SHOOTER
Thanks Shooter, I have been studying the band plans and all the info is there indeed.

Reactions: SIX-SHOOTER
10m is very busy last days in EU.
ES is strong, I could work many close located countries, but China, Indonesia or Japan as well. On SSB.
Look at FT8 traffic I attached from 2 min ago.
View attachment 37754
Band is wide open.
Mike

If all we could do on Amateur Radio was FT8 & other digital Modes that is just Two Computers talking to each other I would sell all of my Amateur Radio Gear & stay on 11 meters where you can at least use a Microphone & actually Talk to others.Some people think that FT8 is The Bomb & I myself think it's a Useless wast of time & electricity.If the mode does Not require a Microphone I will Never use it for any contact.

SIX-SHOOTER

When checking those maps if you check the reports you will find that on most days the vast Majority of the RED LINES are mostly FT8 or other Digital modes & the band conditions are Not good enough for Phone Contacts.

True. I’ve found that I have to filter the 10m cluster to eliminate digital mode spots in order to use it as propagation indicator for 11m voice.

Though an uptick in digimode activity can indicate its about to open.

Reactions: SIX-SHOOTER
True. I’ve found that I have to filter the 10m cluster to eliminate digital mode spots in order to use it as propagation indicator for 11m voice.

Though an uptick in digimode activity can indicate its about to open.

I just watch the band Scope on my ICOM 7600 or make a CQ or two & if it's open someone will hear the 1200 watts that is being Multiplied into my Mosley TA-53M into much higher amounts of power. {:>)

SIX-SHOOTER

If all we could do on Amateur Radio was FT8 & other digital Modes that is just Two Computers talking to each other I would sell all of my Amateur Radio Gear & stay on 11 meters where you can at least use a Microphone & actually Talk to others.Some people think that FT8 is The Bomb & I myself think it's a Useless wast of time & electricity.If the mode does Not require a Microphone I will Never use it for any contact.

SIX-SHOOTER
Agreed, if shit hits the fan and the grid goes down I want to know that I can tap into my solar battery bank and reach out. As much a I love technology I still have strong roots in simplicity.

I just watch the band Scope on my ICOM 7600 or make a CQ or two & if it's open someone will hear the 1200 watts that is being Multiplied into my Mosley TA-53M into much higher amounts of power. {:>)

SIX-SHOOTER

I’m an addict to the clusters and other resources...but I have NO PROBLEM calling blind, and am often surprised at the results.

That is ham radio beauty. You can talk, dit, buzz etc. No one forces no one.
I have 327 DXCC worked on phone (256 FT8 only), so FT8 is nice chance for something new. For now for example I try to do WAS on FT8, only 3 states to go. It's fun :)
Mike

If all we could do on Amateur Radio was FT8 & other digital Modes that is just Two Computers talking to each other I would sell all of my Amateur Radio Gear & stay on 11 meters where you can at least use a Microphone & actually Talk to others. Some people think that FT8 is The Bomb & I myself think it's a Useless wast of time & electricity. If the mode does Not require a Microphone (or in my case CW Key also) I will Never use it for any contact.

SIX-SHOOTER
toilet paper FT8.jpg

FLAME SUIT ON !!~!!
:whistle::LOL::LOL::LOL:
All the Best
Gary

Actually no, but

I actually have a UK CB radio that was converted to 10m. The UK CB band was between channel 40 and 10m and was FM to begin with. The conversion was simply a crystal change and a realignment. I had a lot of fun with it and really liked the fact that by law CB's over there had to have a 10dB power attenuator as it made it super easy to drop to very QRP levels. IIRC it had about 6 or 7 watts output max but was normally run at 5 watts out and the LO switch reduced that to just half a watt. IIRC it ran from 29.300-29.700MHz. I should dig it out sometime and see if it still works.

Reactions: NZ8N and WECSOG
When checking those maps if you check the reports you will find that on most days the vast Majority of the RED LINES are mostly FT8 or other Digital modes & the band conditions are Not good enough for Phone Contacts.Same with 6 meters where the map is pretty much covered some days like yesterday there was Not a single Phone contact that I saw all afternoon reported or shown on the map.

SIX-SHOOTER

I agree. I remember when the DX clusters were full of spots on 50.110 and 50.125. Now sadly it seems as if EVERYONE is on 50.313 using FT8. I think it is just a lazy way to make contacts myself and that is all they are is contacts. I like to actually hear a voice on the other end at least. I will be back on 6m very soon even if it is with a crappy antenna but I will be on 50.125 calling from FN75vb. Forget the automated digital crap.

Numerous CW beacons are on 10. Other than checking 19, it’s my go to source for 10 meter propagation. I know CW is old school for some, but my fondness comes from building a couple CW beacons that I once did for other Hams. The old AM Cybernet radio boards are cheap and relatively easy to convert. 3 watts with an Antron 99 or similar vertical is the norm. That leaves the build choice left to all the different keyer modules vs. ones budget.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.