• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10m question...

How many other HF bands have an international club dedicated to just that band?
https://www.ten-ten.org/
It used to be popular for local round-table discussions too, especially in rural areas. I would like to see that become common again.
In fact, at least in the Southeast, quite a few hams used to convert CBs to 10M just for that purpose. That would be a good use for old 23 channel SSB rigs, IMO.

CBs to 10M just for that purpose. That would be a good use for old 23 channel SSB rigs, IMO.

73 MAGAZINE ran a HUGE series of articles on that very topic running in the late '70s thru 1980 and later. Here are just a few examples.
They also had numerous articles on repurposing CB antennas and Optimizing them for 10 meters.
There were a few articles on 23 channel AM rigs and converting them to 10 FM usage.
Those old Ham Radio Magazine, 73 Magazine, Ham Radio Horizons have a huge amount of information still of good usage for today's hams.
GOOGLE is your friend.
EX: 73 Magazine articles
January 1979 (#220)
CB to 10 - part XVII: SBE and Pace rigs ...... K3SZN pg.156

May 1979 (#224)
CB to 10 - part XVIII: several PLL rigs ...... K9PS pg.30

June 1979 (#225)
CB to 10 - part XIX: Lafayette SSB rigs ...... WB0LLP/5 pg.60

November 1979 (#230)
CB to 10 - part XXI : the Johnson Viking 352 ...... WA6OYS pg.82
CB to 10 - part XX: converting the Royce 1-655

January 1980 (#232)
CB-to-10 FM - best conversion yet? ...... K1DCS, N1XN, W1WRO/N2XN pg.117

The info is out there, one just needs to put forth the effort to find it!
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

73 MAGAZINE ran a HUGE series of articles on that very topic running in the late '70s thru 1980 and later. Here are just a few examples.
They also had numerous articles on repurposing CB antennas and Optimizing them for 10 meters.
There were a few articles on 23 channel AM rigs and converting them to 10 FM usage.
Those old Ham Radio Magazine, 73 Magazine, Ham Radio Horizons have a huge amount of information still of good usage for today's hams.
GOOGLE is your friend.
EX: 73 Magazine articles
January 1979 (#220)
CB to 10 - part XVII: SBE and Pace rigs ...... K3SZN pg.156

May 1979 (#224)
CB to 10 - part XVIII: several PLL rigs ...... K9PS pg.30

June 1979 (#225)
CB to 10 - part XIX: Lafayette SSB rigs ...... WB0LLP/5 pg.60

November 1979 (#230)
CB to 10 - part XXI : the Johnson Viking 352 ...... WA6OYS pg.82
CB to 10 - part XX: converting the Royce 1-655

January 1980 (#232)
CB-to-10 FM - best conversion yet? ...... K1DCS, N1XN, W1WRO/N2XN pg.117

All the Best
Gary/W9FNB
Good stuff, Gary!

Screenshot at 2020-06-02 07-25-43.png
or just ask , I have the whole series, and a panda* :)

*https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads...y-mixes-without-the-panda.220999/#post-603990

Last edited:
Reactions: WECSOG
Seems to me some of those "CB to 10" articles in 73 mag were written by Bob Heil K9EID.

If you're hearing DX on 11, then 10 will be open too

That was the idea behind the Swan 1011 transceiver. You would listen on 11 meters, and when you heard CBers talking local from far away, you went up to 10 and called CQ.

Just seeing the letters "CB" on the face of a ham radio pi$$ed off a lot of hams in the early 70s. The radio sold very poorly until Sam Lewis hired Swan to print "Siltronix" on the front and sold them to 11 meter operators.

Pretty much every where from Cuba to Canada east of the Mississippi and a few in Idaho, Arizona, and Colorado.

I was on 28.074 running FT8 using my old Mosley T33 @ 25 watts

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
N00b HAM question...

Is 10m used much? I don't hear much on the band when I visit it on SDR and my Ranger. If it is being used what activity is found there?

It is open even less than 11 meters due to the lack of Sunspots but if 11 meter is really Good then 10 meters is usually Open so make some noise & somebody will find you.28.4000 USB is usually a gathering place & many call it the 10 meter Calling Frequency but in Fact 10 meter SSB does NOT have a Calling Frequency at all if you check the Band Plan Chart.Some people make stuff up & others don't Fact Check what they hear or read & they pass the False information along until many believe it's true & it's nothing more than a Myth.I much prefer Facts myself.Don't take what you see me type as Fact PLEASE look it up for yourself & just looking at the ARRL band Plan Chart will give you the answer. {:>)

SIX-SHOOTER

This is a good reference. If you're not by the radio you can still check the bands for openings..
https://www.dxmaps.com/spots/mapg.php

When checking those maps if you check the reports you will find that on most days the vast Majority of the RED LINES are mostly FT8 or other Digital modes & the band conditions are Not good enough for Phone Contacts.Same with 6 meters where the map is pretty much covered some days like yesterday there was Not a single Phone contact that I saw all afternoon reported or shown on the map.

SIX-SHOOTER

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.