1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Amp build

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by BammBamm, Oct 14, 2018.

1. BammBamm

BammBamm Instigators ...173 on the southside.

Its getting to be that time of year that I need inside things to do. I currently run a 980 ssb into a RM 203 amp but like everyone else I want more. I could buy an amp but I think it would be fun to build my own. I have plans on a dvd and I’m thinking of a 1x 4 and hoping for maybe 350-400 Watts AM and the same or more on ssb. I have heard the amp must be tuned for frequency after build but I have no clue how to do this? I am also trying to understand baising but can’t seem to find much information. I know many will say to buy an amp but I’m looking for a project. Thanks

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.

2. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

After reading I have one conclusion, buy an amp. I doubt you can diy.
    Mike

3. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

This is where I am on building an amp. Tuned in.

4. 5 X 5

5 X 5 Member

I'd say buy a kit. Only kits I found with quick search are higher frequencies. Lots of step by step videos with parts lists/links. Start ordering parts and figure out bias and tune when you get there...

5. jon666

jon666 Sr. Member

by the time you buy all the parts your going to need
    it would be cheaper to by one pre made

Tallman, rabbiporkchop and sp5it like this.
  6. Dmans

Dmans Well-Known Member

BammBamm,
    I get it.
    Anybody can buy an amp, but that's not the point, is it? Maybe start with a sad old DOG of an amp, rehab it, trade it, shelve it, smash it whatever! Then move on to a full built from scratch unit.
    Works wonders for the mind when it gets dark outside at 4:30 pm!

Good Luck!

73's
    David

7. Hurricane145

Hurricane145 Active Member

Perhaps cheaper by a long shot as well.
    Chasing down decent parts can be a lot of effort and cost with shipping costs added in. There are also perhaps special tools you may need you may never use again. Nibbler tool, Dremel tool etc.
    I built a small amplifier for 6 meters once with an MRF492 transistor. It was from plans in QST magazine. The biggest problem was finding a suitable heat sink but it was back in 1982 so no internet to dig through. All finished it was a fun project but not an economical one.
    Probably the bigger the amp, the less economical it will be.

8. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

If you want a project, I recommend "KISS".

Keep it simple, simple.

An amplifier with a built-in driver will be more of a challenge. If your interest is in sideband, you'll find that the maximum power that still sounds good is a bit less than the same amplifier can deliver in AM mode.

You just can't drive them as hard and still sound good on sideband. Built-in driver designs tend to overdrive the final stage and sound crusty on SSB.

The basic building block of solid-state amplifiers is two RF transistors in a push-pull circuit. That's where I would start.

Check out Lou Franklin's "Tri Power" design.

http://www.cbcintl.com/tripower.htm

It's only a set of plans, not a kit. But it will give you a coherent and complete idea what's needed.

9. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

Thanks Nomad - I actually had the plans a long time ago, when I had bought his Speech Processor.

The link, it's the same amp!

Good learning tool...

10. BammBamm

BammBamm Instigators ...173 on the southside.

A lot of good information and answers and I thank you all. Like it was said in an answer that it’s a want...I mean anyone can buy an amp. I have thought about the expense and I have a full machine shop where I work and they also acid etch pc boards so I have that benefit. Turning an aluminum block into a heat sync and case is not an issue or is soldering or tools such as dremel tool or soldering irons. I did like the thought of buying a non working amp and trying repairs and go from there.

Shadetree Mechanic, 5 X 5 and Dmans like this.
  11. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Well-Known Member

Why not just buy a blown up Texas Star DX 1600 X and strip it down and rebuild it from scratch?

12. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

You selling yours?

13. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Well-Known Member

Not in this lifetime.

14. TheRealPorkchop

TheRealPorkchop Certified Sith Pimp

0D06ED36-9C2B-44DE-9A75-B68BBF3251A4.gif

Chevboy0167 and Handy Andy like this.