• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amplifier recommendations.

Need one down on the hopperbuilt LOL. Had the TS500DX non variable. Want 6 or 8. If I get more Id have to buy a driver, not into all that. Right now I have a at 6666, a 955, and a DX979. I love the sweet 16 and if they really are available may be getting one. Friend of mine had one. It was awesome. Your page is showing 774. Ones I saw were 900ish. Probably going to call to verify when it comes time, I have found alot of those sites for amps and stuff are old and they aren't even selling anymore when its showing in stock lol.
Other suggestion still welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
If you have four transistors now, I would hold out for an upgrade to sixteen.

Simply bumping it up by a factor of two or so is hard to justify, as far as the practical difference it makes.

If you won't increase the S-meter reading at the other end by more than one whole S-unit, the expense seems hard to justify.

I understand your thinking but my thinking is there is certain things on my setup that i dont want to redo so looking for the highest for what i have. 8 os the highest i want to go. S unit thing doesnt mean much to me here, its the max i want and will be happy with. Really looking for suggestions as doing research made me a little leary on buying the big box fatboy xforce type, and even TS. Although iam partial to TS as i have a TS400/500dx and that thing is old and recently found out not done right and finally gave out. It has to be at least 10 15 years old, so has shown me durability LOL.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
If you are interested in side band operation then maybe the Texas Star is the way to go. The transistor bias is AB as opposed to class C like the Fat Boy style comp boxes. Unless you can get one that is AB. Class C is ok for AM but I have read that AB is better for SSB.

Reactions: walterjn and 530
RF-MRFX1K80H-27MHz-board.jpg

If you are interested in side band operation then maybe the Texas Star is the way to go. The transistor bias is AB as opposed to class C like the Fat Boy style comp boxes. Unless you can get one that is AB. Class C is ok for AM but I have read that AB is better for SSB.
Yeah looking better for me as I read. Loved the 400/500. Lasted a long time even being incorrect from what I am being told in my other post. I may get it fixed right eventually but was looking to upgrade tax time so that will have to wait now lol, and hello sweet 16. Now just have decide best place to buy.

It's just 65 volts and minimum components. Not really rocket surgery let alone star wars.
I'll admit that any more than a quick read of the spec sheet will make your head hurt a bit but it's still a push - pull amp with design elements that have been with us for 40 years or more.
The big thing about the device family is the near 80% efficiency in a narrow band test fixture and no less that 72% in a well designed broad band application.
This is the 65 volt, mutated , ceramic packaged, dual device package, big brother to the MRF101 and MRF300 LDMOS devices.

Most amps will work good enough. Even the old Palomar 250's with 2xSD1446 worked well for the price. The Donkey Stompers seem way overpriced at least for the guy selling them on Ebay. He is selling amps on Ebay i.e. Hopper for more than the manufacturer is selling them for on its own website. I don't understand that for any product. Odd economics for sure. Any 8 pill comp amp from the big 3 Fatboy, Xforce or Davemade would be great if you have the juice to power them. I don't understand why the competition amp builders speak so badly of the mosfet amps, if it is pride or is there a real basis for it. The Rocketbox amps may be something new to try. I bet they work good since the builder has been there done that for generations.

Reactions: eric chilton

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated