1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Amplifier recommendations.

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by 530, Sep 10, 2019.

1. 530

530 Well-Known Member

Yes thank you good to know I've been reading on that. I have a 300 amp alternator and the optima deep cycle battery. Im using 0 gauge wires. Also did the "big 3" in 0 gauge. Also liking the 1200 but it doesn't look like it's being made anymore. Yeah probably not going to get the 667 V and will definitely know if I get an answer from anybody but it does look like they're over driving it which is why it's saying more power cuz even from read I read The Originals had the 2290 and that's 60 watts putting in less than two Watts. Also looking at an option from rocketbox amps for mosfet unit. I do love the 500w Texas Stars though I had one for years and the one I have is running for 15 years and it was the non-variable one. Something blew on it recently and by posting I found out that it's a 400 kind of changed into a 500 and since it's broke now I was thinking about getting something bigger. I am also liking the idea of getting both as well already sold the amp for 150 and I popped up a few other items I had laying around so make it a 500 now lol and I already told the wife at tax time I'm getting $1,000 to get an amp, that's our splurching money lol.

#61 530, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Woody-202 and Shadetree Mechanic like this.

2. Dmans

Dmans Well-Known Member

Ranch55 is telling you the truth!

I have spoken to him on the air several times and can attest to the fact that his set up works and sounds GREAT! (We are probably 900 miles apart) Once while talking to Ranch55 (as he was mobile) he told me I may lose his signal because he was going in a canyon between hilltops. I never lost contact!
    If my base set up sounded as good as his mobile I would have it made. I think I will have to learn to use my RF Gain knob when he gets his beam up.

David

3. 530

530 Well-Known Member

That's cool but basically my amp is for local fun, and local long distance. I like shooting skip barefoot. When skip is rolling in at 6 lbs Plus I make it through with 6 Watts lol. I also used my 955 and my 6666 on my 500 albeit turned down

#63 530, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  4. 530

530 Well-Known Member

Ok so now for the research on who to buy from. Going for the TS500 right now and Ill get the 1600 down the road. Any suggestions on a seller who does things right?

5. dledinger

dledinger 2NC995

Well, I can tell you this. If you buy from Copper it’s ready to go with no add on charges. In my case, they shipped quickly.

BTW, I fixed my preamp. I replaced both the diode and the transistor; both because I was in there and the parts probably cost 15 cents total.

My meter is still has a mind of its own, however.

#65 dledinger, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    530 and 357magnum like this.
  6. 530

530 Well-Known Member

Not sure about them. I saw a recent post they didn't convert correctly, if true. There was one other place can't remember it as Im typing but they charge 75$ to mod it which I think is fair because I read the mod and it looks like it takes a little time to do it right. I think I might make a new post here as it seems I can't change or update the title here and see if anyone here is into selling one and setting it up correctly. I see alot of very smart people saying what they would do with amps here and would rather get one from them if even possible. Looking for a new TS500DX Non Variable preferred but I know that ain't happening lol.

7. 530

530 Well-Known Member

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  8. dledinger

dledinger 2NC995

I bet the reserve is $2000 on that amp.

530 and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  9. 530

530 Well-Known Member

Ah yes. The rare and wtf expensive red dot. I love it! LOL

10. Ranch55

Ranch55 Well-Known Member

The post you are referring to is probably someone who is disgruntled, or just heard this or that from someone who also heard something.
    I have purchased several Texas Star amplifiers from Copper and they all arrived with the full conversion completed and performed just fine right out of the box.

Slowmover, binrat, 530 and 2 others like this.
  11. dledinger

dledinger 2NC995

I’m kind of with you on that, Ranch.

I don’t know anything about the company, to be honest. I just know I bought my amp there and it was working, and ready to go, and the shipping was timely. I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

I don’t know how they could botch a conversion, to be honest.

Slowmover, 530 and Woody-202 like this.
  12. NightThumper

NightThumper Well-Known Member

I have bought 1/2 dozen Texas star amps from Copper and never had an issue with the amp or conversion.

Slowmover, 530, dledinger and 2 others like this.
  13. 530

530 Well-Known Member

Ok thats cool. It was just one person, which is why i said if true. The one weird thing is I asked them about a week ago about the 667v and whats inside now and they said they didn't know and to contact texas star...
    "I am not sure you could call Texas Star they have a tech that could tell
    you. The number is 1-760-480-8800".
    On 10/11/2019 3:30 PM, Bob wrote:
    > Hi, I am sopping for an amp and have a couple in mind. Is the 667V you are selling the one with the 2290 driver? If not what's inside now? Thank you.

14. 530

530 Well-Known Member

Thank you.
    Was this recently?

15. 530

530 Well-Known Member

Thank you.
    Have you bought one there recently?