• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another unannounced one from ranger

I’ve never been impressed by any galaxy/RCI product. There are far better sideband rigs for sure. For loud AM maybe they’re ok, but that’s not what I’m into.

The 2950DX is a decent SSB rig, it's just after several generations of the radio they keep using the same main board design.
Many years ago when Bill Good was alive, he made suggestions to Jim Peng and his " team" regarding the receiver in these radios that fell on deaf ears.
Nothing has changed.
As long as people keep buying them as is, they will just keep building them this way.
It Keeps Chris Holland busy fixing them.

Jeff

The 2950DX is a decent SSB rig, it's just after several generations of the radio they keep using the same main board design.
Many years ago when Bill Good was alive, he made suggestions to Jim Peng and his " team" regarding the receiver in these radios that fell on deaf ears.
Nothing has changed.
As long as people keep buying them as is, they will just keep building them this way.
It Keeps Chris Holland busy fixing them.

Jeff

To add insult to injury, the RF output stages kept getting worse and worse, as one transistor after another, became obsolete. Rather than update their circuit to run anything decent like HF rigs, they searched forever to find the cheapest junk that could make it past the 90 day warranty (most of the time).

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I’ve never been impressed by any galaxy/RCI product. There are far better sideband rigs for sure. For loud AM maybe they’re ok, but that’s not what I’m into.
In 1991 when I got my first SSB radio a RCI 2950 their was nothing wrong with it besides price. You had to get them through HRO and the like Cooper was not selling them. Mine was made in Taiwan and it rock sold. The encoder felt just like a channel changer nice stiff solid feel as if it was mechanical analog.

If people would just stop buying maybe they would listen and not take so much money out of the radio. When consumers keep buying no matter what they just keep taking more money out.

Just like at that turd with Unidens name on the 980!!! That is a joke. I am not even sure why that brand is still around since they are truly like toys now . They remind me of all the Chinese toys that RadioShack sold towards their end!

They just do not get that they can save all the money they want to on the inside with SMD and common design but they need to spend a bit more on the face plate and user interface since that is what you see and touch every time you use the radio!

I had a 2950 for a while. Receiver was wide as a barn door. Good radio other than that. They seem to kick a** on tx.
When was it made? Where was it made? What modifications had been done to it?

Once CB'er's started to realize how much radio you could get for $249 it was all down hill. Butcher city! That is also when the build quality slowly started to decline.

Last edited:
It was one of the old ones before the dx.had the orange display. I acquired it on a horse trade from a cber in my area. He wanted it back and offered me a price I couldn’t resist. This was back in probably 2004

Sadly they were well on their way into decline by then 2004. If you had one from early 1990's it was a different beast. I used one in Ga. and in Michigan. It was mounted in my 1986 Toyota 4Runner and used almost daily. It baked in the hot Ga. sun and froze in super cold Michigan winters and was bouncing away daily in my truck. I 4wheeled every weekend. After 8 years the only thing that failed was the crystal filter and voltage regulator. If it had not been stolen by my technician that I thought was a friend and mentor I would still have it. Technician was a friend and mentor but he had finical issues and personal issues. He took what he could carry from what I hear and left town sort of thing. Paid him in advance for his work, sent parts with radio from RF parts too since I trusted him totally and completely! I thought of him almost like a second dad. Fred Ballentine Hinesville Electronics in Hinesville Ga.! I loved that guy and do not hold anything against him but I would love to have my radio back too! He taught me a lot about Mopars, Mausers, Electronics and Concealed Cary! He was Ex-Airforce and Green Beret Qualified. I truly thought of him as family and still do even though I have not heard from him since 1998 when he stole my radio and parts and money. God Bless the man! Hope he is well and happy! He was a great person that taught me so much but was in a hard spot!! It was a nicely modified RCI2950 with an amp similar RFX but with MRF455's in it.

In fact my first son was born when I gave up on ever hearing back from him and never got my radio back. Oh and I prepaid for insured postage too. I was attending University in Michigan.

In fact my President Lincoln I bought in 1998 to replace the radio he stole from me. I still have it to this day. It has the MRF455 in it. People were already talking about the decline in quality on the RCI2950 at the time so I bought the Lincoln. I bought it from Panther Electronics John Mahoney! I was not in college any more so no electronics lab access so I actually paid his shop to modify the radio for me and send it to me. That is the only radio I ever paid anyone to modify for me.

In fact I just got a Chip Switch for it that I cannot wait to install. I always wanted 10m-12m with continuous tuning. I have a Yeti Optima that has that an I love it. Not keen on the feel of the controls on it but love it other than that!

Reactions: Slowmover
Sadly they were well on their way into decline by then 2004. If you had one from early 1990's it was a different beast. I used one in Ga. and in Michigan. It was mounted in my 1986 Toyota 4Runner and used almost daily. It baked in the hot Ga. sun and froze in super cold Michigan winters and was bouncing away daily in my truck. I 4wheeled every weekend. After 8 years the only thing that failed was the crystal filter and voltage regulator. If it had not been stolen by my technician that I thought was a friend and mentor I would still have it. Technician was a friend and mentor but he had finical issues and personal issues. He took what he could carry from what I hear and left town sort of thing. Paid him in advance for his work, sent parts with radio from RF parts too since I trusted him totally and completely! I thought of him almost like a second dad. Fred Ballentine Hinesville Electronics in Hinesville Ga.! I loved that guy and do not hold anything against him but I would love to have my radio back too! He taught me a lot about Mopars, Mausers, Electronics and Concealed Cary! He was Ex-Airforce and Green Beret Qualified. I truly thought of him as family and still do even though I have not heard from him since 1998 when he stole my radio and parts and money. God Bless the man! Hope he is well and happy! He was a great person that taught me so much but was in a hard spot!! It was a nicely modified RCI2950 with an amp similar RFX but with MRF455's in it.

In fact my first son was born when I gave up on ever hearing back from him and never got my radio back. Oh and I prepaid for insured postage too. I was attending University in Michigan.

In fact my President Lincoln I bought in 1998 to replace the radio he stole from me. I still have it to this day. It has the MRF455 in it. People were already talking about the decline in quality on the RCI2950 at the time so I bought the Lincoln. I bought it from Panther Electronics John Mahoney! I was not in college any more so no electronics lab access so I actually paid his shop to modify the radio for me and send it to me. That is the only radio I ever paid anyone to modify for me.

In fact I just got a Chip Switch for it that I cannot wait to install. I always wanted 10m-12m with continuous tuning. I have a Yeti Optima that has that an I love it. Not keen on the feel of the controls on it but love it other than that!
TAKE YOUR TIME desoldering the pins on the microprocessor. There are a lot of them and you can mess of the chip and/or the board if you're not careful.
You will love the Chipswitch. It takes a little getting used to, but it's definitely worth the mod. make sure you get the extra parts needed for the 12m band or the radio will not tune down there.

Just curious as to how you tre-797 owners are liking the little rig. I've yet to put any use on mine as life has been busy. Other than initially testing it for proper operation, it still sits in the box next to the bench.
I have mine still making a guest appearance in the shack. Plugged in the D104m6b and set it at 3 with the radio mic level at max. Did a quick audio check on my Cobra 148 monitor and it sounded great at one inch away and talking across the front with the mic turned sideways to keep the "p" from popping. Channel 38 was really jammed up, 39 had a couple of people talking and 40 was silent. So I called out on 40 and got 355 Indiana right back! We had a great 10 minute qso all by ourselves. He said that my audio was great, and I told him what I had and was barefoot. He was on a Yaesu 9 something, and he didn't say that I was off frequency although I didn't ask. I might be, don't know, haven't even opened the covers yet. I put the frequency counter on top of the Autek meter, fits perfectly. This is going to be a fun radio, just don't know where to put it.

IMG_20210504_173005670.jpg

It's benches like @Shadetree Mechanic as well as others, I just wanted to point out something many are taking for granted and If it was not for companies like RCI or Galaxy - we'd be in a bigger mess than now.

These radios are still using discrete parts - so as I see some bashing of the quality of the unit, at least these units are MODIFIABLE for the end user, yes, I'm talking about the customer.

So while some may not like Galaxy or RCI for various reasons, part of why you're here is because of radios' like what this thread is about.

They use parts you - a typical user, with some ability to use the right end of a soldering iron - can test, troubleshoot, diagnose and even FIX them with parts you can install yourself - and save money in the process or with the money you save, invest even more to do more to the radio- as well as make them customizable and your own - be it by the; color of the lights, knobs or any type of accessory or circuit changes - you can learn from them.

These radios are "open architecture" meaning that they can be used as they are or have things put into them, done to them, or removed from them, to do what the end user wants.

Let's keep this is perspective of having a Radio you can still; call your own, even fix yourself versus a SMD nightmare and no way to truly knowing how to work or understand it - which choice you make, determines your outcome.

I think companies like RCI/Galaxy/Connex even Cobra should be commended for trying to keep platforms of their radios in a stock form of discrete design as much as possible to allow any one interested in 2-way communications - an ability to learn radio.

It's an extremely important skill to know and have for it's influences in technology alone can have long term benefits.

Well I got mine finally setup today by Nomad Radio and I must say it's charmed me lol. Has great output range and now the clarifer is unlocked for better SSB use.

Plus added 2 switches on the side for expanded channels, and the coverage is better than usual !

Look forward to using it more asap 73's!

Shout out to Nomad, thanks Chris, Retro

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated