1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Antenna height questions

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by Christopher17, May 10, 2020.

1. Christopher17

Christopher17 LongStride

Putting up 5/8 Ground Plane , Don't have it yet, (still playing with the home brew 5/8) I like the zero five but probably going with the hy-gain due to price, got enough rohm tower sections to get feed point to 30 or so feet, my elevation is right at 500 feet and the terrain is Sandy soil with dense woods, my question is "how critical is mounting height?" Should I get the feed point to the 36 foot mark? Should the antenna be in the middle of the second wave? Is it best to have the top of the antenna at the top of the wave, or the feed point at the bottom of the wave, I assumed the antenna should be centered in or the middle of second wave or is this just more misinformation and myths about wavelength and mounting height, I always hear height is might, if I had it say centered at 36 feet (between the 2 waves) would it be worse than say at 14 feet off the ground?

#1 Christopher17, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Shadetree Mechanic and Slowmover like this.

2. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

Not much difference, but higher-better.
    Clipboard01.jpg
    Mike

3. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Higher is better but at some point you hit the wall of demishing returns. It will cost more to go higher and very little improvement in signal. I would say the base of the antenna at 40' is a good place to be.

4. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Sr. Member

The difference between 30ft and 40ft is so little as to not be worth spending any money doing it.

5. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

All I know is my A-99 is on a 30' push pole , fully extended , my guess is 48' to the tip . I have Np's , but then again I checked my elevation , up on a hill 679' OSL . It just works for me ! :whistle: Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless , Leo Btw Chris , how are you feeling ?

#5 357magnum, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
    S&W357, binrat and undertaker like this.
  6. groundwire

groundwire Sr. Member

I/2 wavelength above ground at the feed point will give you a relatively low radiation angle, good for dx. 1/4 wavelength will keep the radiation angle fairly high, good for local talk with some. Low angle properties for dx. Basically 1/2 to 5/8 wavelength above ground. Is the sweet spot. It can get pretty technical as far as height versus lobes

7. 2NC995

2NC995 DAN

The little bit of reading and studying I have done seems to indicate that it’s also highly dependent on the type of ground under the antenna.

Salt plains vs rocky mountain side...in other words.

I don’t have much to worry about...my feed point is at 6 feet, and I can’t afford bigger tires or a lift kit.

ShamS, 357magnum, Slowmover and 3 others like this.
  8. Road Squawker

Road Squawker Sr. Member

Not to confuse the ideas, but, most "ground" here in the U.S., is actually 3 to 6 feet below the earths surface.:D

9. 2NC995

2NC995 DAN

Maybe a tad of idea confusing, but a welcome response nonetheless.

357magnum likes this.
  10. SIX-SHOOTER

SIX-SHOOTER Sr. Member

The difference is being under one wave length & being just above one wave length so it could be a Big difference.

SIX-SHOOTER

11. binrat

binrat WDX Club Coordinator
    Staff Member

I have found this to be true. Sandy soil with vegetation, higher the better. Primarily rock, low works as good.

12. kopcicle

kopcicle Sr. Member

Generally above ground works best

13. Dmans

Dmans Sr. Member

If Bobby (undertaker) didn't "like" this comment, I would have been extremely disappointed.

Love ya' Man!

David

2NC995, Slowmover and kopcicle like this.
  14. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

r carl, 357magnum and kopcicle like this.
  15. Christopher17

Christopher17 LongStride

that's what I was thinking

SIX-SHOOTER likes this.