• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any body need help after the storms?

I was working on a circuit under the house (Crawl space) replacing some rodent chewed wires. I got it all laid out and stapled to the joist added a box to make the connections in.
made the connections on the end of the circuit. Went back to make the connections on the hot end. The circuit was turned off at the breaker panel. I had the wires all stripped and ready to make the connections Connected the white wires, then the ground wires, and when I touched the black wires I got a shock that almost ended my life.
The wife had come home and was puzzled why nothing was working. She went to the breaker panel and flipped on the mains. Some how I managed to get loose and after a bit I headed to the exit. She was surprised to see me at home. She thought I was out riding my motorcycle. I'm going to upload a picture of how I cured the problem for securing the breaker panel for safety.
Also I have the only key.

Attachments

• 20190309_110904.jpg
    20190309_110904.jpg
    898.3 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
I was working on a circuit under the house (Crawl space) replacing some rodent chewed wires. I got it all laid out and stapled to the joist added a box to make the connections in.
made the connections on the end of the circuit. Went back to make the connections on the hot end. The circuit was turned off at the breaker panel. I had the wires all stripped and ready to make the connections Connected the white wires, then the ground wires, and when I touched the black wires I got a shock that almost ended my life.
The wife had come home and was puzzled why nothing was working. She went to the breaker panel and flipped on the mains. Some how I managed to loose and after a bit I headed to the exit. She was surprised to see me at home. She thought I was out riding my motorcycle. I'm going to upload a picture of how I cured the problem for securing the breaker panel for safety.
I work in the plants. Have to Lock-out/ Tag-out everything. Double Block and Bleed systems. Takes time, but save your arse.

Thinking I may have the same problem with those pesky rodents also. Both my AC's are not working......or have a moisture problem jacking things up. Humidity down here along coast is bad.

Reactions: 357magnum
Got back one to come on.....helps when the wiring harness is connected to controls. I've never used it, bought it, installed it as a back up, and never wired it for two years until now. I knew this day would come.

RV's are a fickle electrical systems. I had a 1972 Banner motor home and it was rigged up to switch between 110 and 220 vac. I was glad as hell when I sold it.

Reactions: 357magnum
Mine has a 555 converter in it. One of the best. It has no problem handling 30amp or 50amp. Just pick a cord. Although I generally use 50amp. Easy to work on, unless you pop a control module. Made like a small rack system, the breaker and elect connections are above and the converter slides below in it's rack. You can get to everything. Going roof top with the foil now.

Wrapped unit in 150 foot of aluminum foil, kicked compressor twice, hand cranked the fan, wiggled some connections, sprayed it with shave cream and it works. Now where's my die-lectric grease?

Starting to wonder how many transmition lines around here have loose connections such as described above. Not too much freezing happens down here but the winds get ferocious at times and may loosen connections. The noise level comes and goes, sometimes the pile driver effect happens. Our drop doesn't fluctuate, 125.7 on high leg and 123.4 on lower. Figure it may be over along the feed following fence line to the south, that neighborhood is about fifty yrs old and the transformers are old and tired.

I agree you have a transformer about to kick it. Those voltages should be equal.

They should be equal within reason. The difference could be due to different loads on either side of the line. Typically the panel is balanced for expected loads but the current balance is rarely if ever zero therefore a small voltage difference between L1 and L2 is to be expected. You can check current balance by measuring the current in the neutral lead. The only current flowing in the neutral should be the difference in current flow between L1 and L2 ie. if L1 has 10 amps and L2 has 13 amps then the neutral should be carrying 3 amps.

I think that happened last night , local FD called out to a Dryer Fire , 3 minutes house was fully involved . It burned to the ground . Maybe copper pipe ? Also it's nice to live out in the country like myself but it sucks when there are no hydrants & they have to use tankers to get the water in . This is the second one in a month same deal , same FD w/ in 3 miles of each fire . Not the FF's fault just lack of enough H2O .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.