• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any Computer Savvy Members?

I think the HD is dieing on my HP Windows XP machine. So I bit the Bullet and bought a new Dell laptop from Costco running Windows 8.1. I really like it because it is like my Android phone. Besides MS is not going to support XP any longer. Support for Windows 7 is supposed to go away next year. My question is. Can I by a new HD for my old PC and run a Lunix OS and breath new life into it? The PC is a seven year old HP cul 209n. 512 MG memory with a 212 GB HD DVD + RW drive. If so. How do I go about it? Like the idea that w9cll mentioned about running the Zorin OS. :confused:

Can I by a new HD for my old PC and run a Lunix OS and breath new life into it? The PC is a seven year old HP cul 209n. 512 MG memory with a 212 GB HD DVD + RW drive. If so. How do I go about it? Like the idea that w9cll mentioned about running the Zorin OS. :confused:
Generally Linux will run faster on older HW compared to WinDOZE. Now based on the specs you gave the memory is right on the marginal side for Zorin. You might want to look at a "lighter" version of Linux like Lubuntu. What I mean by lighter is the desktop environment does not require heavy resources and will run faster on lower memory. You will have less eye candy but same functionality.

Most if not all distributions of Linux come in a live format, this means you can create a boot CD, DVD or USB drive to test run it off. This will allow you to test all your hardware to make sure everything runs right and most of all you like the desktop. On of the great things about Linux is if you don't like the desktop you choose you can easily install another.

Have a look here DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD. for more information on the different distributions of Linux. Remember its all FREE.

Last edited:
The pc works perfectly in "safe mode" it shows 28 processes running...and it runs just fine.....then when I boot it up normally...nothing wants to work right....and its running 68 processes and the cpu light runs continuously?

I reinstalled the OS and the pc works great

I ran smart test on the entire system and it is still saying something is wrong with the HDD......but it is working flawlessly?

Error code BIOHD-7

Is this the new drive you bought or still the old one? If its the old one then its defective and needs to be replaced. Don't use the PC till the new drive comes in.

Is this the new drive you bought or still the old one? If its the old one then its defective and needs to be replaced. Don't use the PC till the new drive comes in.

It the old one but it is working fine.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.