• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any Computer Savvy Members?

I have serviced more machines with hard drive failures with "Hitachi" Hard Drives and have even bought brand new ones that failed in a year to a year and a half!! I will not ever purchase another one but thats based on my experience with them, I now use / order the higher end Seagate or Western Digital Drives.

If a person wants "Hitachi" then thats what Ill order for them because I dont keep them on hand. Its crazy because Hitachi was the most used Drive in most new machines throughout the 1990's. If it were me I would replace with a Seagate drive which is what I most of the time keep on hand for replacements tyey usually have a good warranty on their Hard Drives.
I agree with Hitachi drives, about the same for Toshiba ones. Seagate or WD are the better options. If you go SSD have a look at OWC's drives. High performance and a good price to MB. Don't get scared because its a Mac site but the HD's are the same. Other World Computing (OWC) - Performance Upgrades For Your Mac

Reactions: 1 person
I have serviced more machines with hard drive failures with "Hitachi" Hard Drives and have even bought brand new ones that failed in a year to a year and a half!! I will not ever purchase another one but thats based on my experience with them, I now use / order the higher end Seagate or Western Digital Drives.

If a person wants "Hitachi" then thats what Ill order for them because I dont keep them on hand. Its crazy because Hitachi was the most used Drive in most new machines throughout the 1990's. If it were me I would replace with a Seagate drive which is what I most of the time keep on hand for replacements tyey usually have a good warranty on their Hard Drives.

Which seagate do you recommend for my pc?
Does it make difference if its sata 2 or sata 3 ?

If you had a new hard drive, would you even know how to install it, the operating system and drivers?

No offense, but you seem a little unsure of what is happening and what needs to be done.

Let us know your comfort level and we'll walk you thru.

Reactions: 1 person
If you had a new hard drive, would you even know how to install it, the operating system and drivers?

No offense, but you seem a little unsure of what is happening and what needs to be done.

Let us know your comfort level and we'll walk you thru.

I have stumbled through installing windows on a few pc's...but never a bare HD....too bad you cannot buy the HD with the OS already on it. :)

What kind of recovery CD's do you have? Any at all?

Some systems have a recovery partition on your hard drive. It's up to you to make your own discs from this partition. Since your drive is crapped, it's to late do that now (if you haven't done it). You can likely call HP and order a recovery CD. They'll just need your system serial #.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c00707939

It's a little more complicated if you go out and buy a retail copy of Windows, because you'll have to scour HP's website for the correct drivers.

Get a new drive, let us know what discs you got and we'll go from there. I'm sure some of us could even walk you thru over the phone. It's not to difficult and will save you $$$ over calling some Dork Squad.

What kind of recovery CD's do you have? Any at all?

Some systems have a recovery partition on your hard drive. It's up to you to make your own discs from this partition. Since your drive is crapped, it's to late do that now (if you haven't done it). You can likely call HP and order a recovery CD. They'll just need your system serial #.

Read this before ordering your Recovery Discs! (US and Canada Only) | HP® Support

It's a little more complicated if you go out and buy a retail copy of Windows, because you'll have to scour HP's website for the correct drivers.

Get a new drive, let us know what discs you got and we'll go from there. I'm sure some of us could even walk you thru over the phone. It's not to difficult and will save you $$$ over calling some Dork Squad.

Yep...its got the recovery drive.
Yup....she made the recovery disks right after she bought it..
Thanks...I will definitely need the help. :)

Yes but there are backwards compatible.

What does that mean backwards compatible ?

Which is better quality...the Seagate or WD ?

the egg sent me a special deal on the WD in my e mail....they must be reading this thread? :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.