• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone know about ranching?

A lot of how you'll do things depends on where your operation is located. Here we can raise feed rather easily and have access to multiple sale barns and veterinarians, though we use the one of each that we prefer. We're not in "ranch" country as its mostly farm country with pasture lands intermixed.

My brother and I run a cow-calf operation which is probably among the more labor intensive parts of the cattle biz. There is always keeping an eye on the cows as calving time approaches and then there is the caring for the calves and watching them carefully to make sure they're up and going. We're in the middle of transitioning from a spring herd--calving from February to April/May--to a fall herd--calving August through November/December. Mostly to avoid calving during the coldest months of the year and partly to avoid having to have a bull in the pasture through the summer months.

Buying weaned calves and feeding them up to 800-900 pounds (also known as backgrounding) is probably the easiest way to get started, though the profitability might be sketchy. A lot of gain can occur through the summer months when running them on grass with minimal inputs like mineral, salt, vaccinations, and just keeping an eye on them. At this age--six months to a year--they really don't need a whole lot of looking after

You'll get familiar with barbed wire and electric fence, Muck Boots, tractors, mud, bale feeders, manure, pickup, stock trailer, ATV (I prefer an ATV over a horse as it doesn't burn fuel (feed) when it's not in use), unpleasant odors, dart guns to apply medication when you can't round a critter up, lightning kills (carry insurance), the fun of seeing them run up when you bring their buckets of grain, having one or two that become near pets, having one or two that are skittish and will bolt at the slightest provocation (back to the fencing above), and the knowledge that you're not only caring for some of God's creatures but are working to provide a safe and stable food source for the rest of the population.

I suggest you join the AgTalk forum and hang around the Stock Talk section for a while. A lot of it will probably be over your head for a while (sounds like radio/electronics, eh?) and you'll start to get a feel for what people are talking about. If you can identify posts from your general area pay close attention as this will help you figure what may work for you.

Another idea is to work with a neighbor to some extent and ease yourself in slowly. Help with working the animals so you get familiar with handling them. As you work with the neighbor you can start to build your own herd over several years. Don't be afraid to ask questions! If something doesn't look or sound right with an animal, it probably isn't so get a more experienced person's opinion.

At the end of the day it's a rewarding life.

HTH

Last edited:
Well, you know a lot more about raising cattle than I do. No question. But I've seen charts sponsored by the USDA that givers proportion values to to the amount of grass to corn and oats (dunno if that is part of it still) in order to reach a growth that would be consistent with better grades of beef and therefore a better profit. Sure some 4H kid has a copy in his/her notes somewhere.. If you look around the net, I/m sure you will find it too. More corn in their diet with a high fat content can contribute to better meat marbling. At one time I considered raising buffalo; but the cost wasn't practical for that setting.

Gotta say tho, that my favorite tasting beef - to me - comes from either Iowa or Nebraska - where buying feed corn was cheaper due to lower transportation cost. Great beef - if you are a beef fan like me!
One of the most important things is water, lots of it.
Black Angus has been judged to the best tasting beef.
(A study by an Angus ranchers Ass'n I would bet)
I love beef! I use to tell the waitperson to slow walk the critter past a candle and consider that cooked. I like it so rare it might twitch when stabbed with a fork.
Maybe you could raise Beefalo? They have a better temperament and get nice and fat on field grass. When it came to feeding cattle we just fed them "Sweet feed" for a couple of weeks before going to market. They were like toddlers who discovered a large cache of Halloween candy. .

Last edited:
Reactions: 357magnum
I myself retired from all the major work 1 1/2 years ago , I just have my small Gentleman's Farm @ my place now and just Chickens and Horses and buy my feed . I had 26 Cows ( Mostly dairy ) here but sold them about 15 years ago . The place I retired from we sold out in the mid 80's due to milk prices and milked 200 head . The price of maintenance on machinery was bad enough . My buddies still do hay and wood on the 200 acres but myself @ 64 and being the youngest of the 3 of us doing it , it was time for me to " Tap Out " . Now most of the hay off the farm is subbed out and round baled by a couple of younger farmers . After 7 days a week 24 hours a day time for me to enjoy myself . It's a rewarding life but not an easy one . Just my 2 cents . 73 and God Bless , Leo

Reactions: Tallman
Just thinking about it , I do miss it sometimes but what I don't miss is the bull tearing up the milk parlor at least twice a month @ 5:30 am ! :LOL: We didn't use artificial insemination and bought a new bull yearly they tend to do what they want @ their size .:ROFLMAO:

Best question yet! When I said that they "Willingly gave up their freedom" Is exactly what I was talking about. YOU have to be there every single day for your cattle. They are helpless and can't do anything for them selves. Unless you have neighbors that you could trust with stacks of cash exposed and UN-watched.

We dairied in a previous lifetime and I would agree with you 100% when Holsteins are under discussion. That is one of the reasons I suggested weaned beef calves--Angus, Hereford, or a cross between the breeds--and run them on grass during the spring and summer into early fall and then sell them before one needs to keep them in a lot and feed them daily. With adequate feed and water they'll pretty much take care of themselves. Of course, one should look in on them a few times a week. One could enjoy a weekend away without too much worry. More than a few days away and someone should look in on them. If you're working with a neighbor, that can be a part of the exchange of labor.

Whenever I plowed the fields my Dad would say it looked like bunch teenagers had a kegger party and did doughnuts in the field! LOL! It must have had something to do with the beer. I was stone cold sober and he was sloshed a little bit and his furrows always straight as an arrow.
My furrows always had these little nervous correction jags. There was a lot slop in the steering and I just could not get use to it.

We dairied in a previous lifetime and I would agree with you 100% when Holsteins are under discussion. That is one of the reasons I suggested weaned beef calves--Angus, Hereford, or a cross between the breeds--and run them on grass during the spring and summer into early fall and then sell them before one needs to keep them in a lot and feed them daily. With adequate feed and water they'll pretty much take care of themselves. Of course, one should look in on them a few times a week. One could enjoy a weekend away without too much worry. More than a few days away and someone should look in on them. If you're working with a neighbor, that can be a part of the exchange of labor.
Of course there is always barter, cream, butter, cheese and that most delicious
whole untreated milk that did not taste any thing at all like what we get today.
And when one or the other took a young steer to slaughter that was shared.
I remember having to shake these large mouth gallon jars to mix the cream back into the milk, damn I miss that taste. Just like drinking ice cream.

I will definitely have to find someone to lay this stuff out for me. We won't be buying anything until spring, and then trying to find a decent deal something. There should be plenty of time to figure things out if we decide to proceed.

Even relatively simple things like a tractor, and how to store hay, efficient snow removal, how to buy cows, what type of cows, and the 10,000 other details that matter. At least no one has said "Don't do it" yet, so that's a good sign.

I am pretty sure that running cows full time would be less strenuous, less work, and easier than what I do now. It is still early in the game, and we may scrap the whole idea and get something just big enough to raise our meat. Worst case I see is we end up selling it, but that could be best case if the buyers default and we keep selling it over and over again.

Any other random thoughts and ideas are welcomed.

Where you're located will have a bearing on your opportunities. Around here one can find pasture to rent from about ten acres to hundreds of acres. If you live in real ranch country, the block might be in the thousands of acres which is a mighty big chunk just starting out.

Reactions: 357magnum
Last edited:
IMO , Beef is the way to go we did raise a few over the years for meat while running the dairy farm , but now with what milk is paying too much expense for little return . The laws on setting up a milking setup are far more strict than they were . Let alone the price of machinery to plant , maintain and harvest . It's always a sad day when you go to the dealer to buy parts for the Ol' John Deere .:LOL: But there are plenty of dairy farms in up state NY shutting down to buy all you need . Sad !

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.