• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone Ares 2

There we go, nice and neat with a small wire tie holding the trio together.

View attachment 64256

I scratched off the back of the traces and soldered directly to the board. I put a piece of foam rubber between the elements and the board.

View attachment 64257

Sounds great, stock with a little more bass.
So, is that all 4 mic elements in parallel?? Is this mod a "thing" in CB land? (I ask because I haven't seen this done before). I would have thought that doing this "might" do some funky stuff with audio phasing, and cancellations, etc..

I would be interested to know what one single element sounds like, in the new middle position. But at the end of the day if it works for you, it works! 73

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
So, is that all 4 mic elements in parallel?? Is this mod a "thing" in CB land? (I ask because I haven't seen this done before). I would have thought that doing this "might" do some funky stuff with audio phasing, and cancellations, etc..

I would be interested to know what one single element sounds like, in the new middle position. But at the end of the day if it works for you, it works! 73
As far as the shape of the sound goes, for two elements, one telecom and one Anytone, the sound would be half and half telecom/Anytone. The characteristics of both. Add more Anytone elements and that is the predominant sound. And vice, versa. With 3 telecom elements, and one Anytone, I can still tell the Anytone is doing something.

It is basically to tailor the sound, the way I am doing it. Others have used it to improve off center sensitivity.

Here is a listing for a 5 element electret conversion for a D104. This was my initial inspiration for putting elements in parallel.

As far as the shape of the sound goes, for two elements, one telecom and one Anytone, the sound would be half and half telecom/Anytone. The characteristics of both. Add more Anytone elements and that is the predominant sound. And vice, versa. With 3 telecom elements, and one Anytone, I can still tell the Anytone is doing something.

It is basically to tailor the sound, the way I am doing it. Others have used it to improve off center sensitivity.

Here is a listing for a 5 element electret conversion for a D104. This was my initial inspiration for putting elements in parallel.

Good stuff!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I am wanting to drive an amp with the Ares 2, and was wondering what the NPC would be for this board? I know that it is also adjustable from the menu, just wondering if the old school way was cleaner?
I cracked the Service Menu. I also performed a hardware NPC mod which works on with factory NPC from carriers below 6 watts. There's still some stuff to work out but I have the radio usable now with great audio. I have some videos on Facebook. I also show the scope. Feel free to flame away, seems that's all I get when I mentioned the nasty old NPC mod.
Panic Attack

I cracked the Service Menu. I also performed a hardware NPC mod which works on with factory NPC from carriers below 6 watts. There's still some stuff to work out but I have the radio usable now with great audio. I have some videos on Facebook. I also show the scope. Feel free to flame away, seems that's all I get when I mentioned the nasty old NPC mod.
Panic Attack
That's awesome, hopefully there is a way to affect the attack of the modulation limiter clamping too. I keep trying to equate the old analog radio modifications to these new software radios, is that the way you are proceeding? Or is this a whole new way to skin the cat?

Panic Attack
I don't do fakebook so won't be about to see your vids. Glad to see you've made some progress!

On the subject of microphones, does anyone have any recommendations on a good desk mic? For this radio!!!

Last edited:
Panic Attack
WILL YOU SHARE THE SERVICE CODE WITH US PLEASE!?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.