• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone at-5555n II (version 2)

Just got CRT SS 9900 for my car from Scott's Radio with KPO microphone plus alignment . Radio kicks ass after his alignment job. Stock radio with 102" whip and I am talking from California to guys in Australia during skip hours. Anytone 5555N II still slightly better then this one but CRT is smaller and did perfectly fit in my car. Have fun guys and 73.

FYI.....turned the 5555NII on today in the cold truck and the display was not happy! Was all good after about 5 minutes. Whew!

JD
Yeah it's that time of year, the cold is really hard on those digital displays. Car stereos or much anything mobile don't take the cold well.

I bet that did make the o'l round brown pucker up though :ROFLMAO:!

I bought my second Zetagi from Scott's and I use it with the at-5555n2.
One word... WOW! This was one of the best decisions I've made recently!! I'll say no more, but will let you play with it.
One last thing? I keep the mic gain on the radio set to 36 and the Gain on the mic set at 5 or 6. Tone at 1 to 2.
I'm super excited for you!!! WooHoo...
Definitely let us know what you think.
73's
I got my stuff from Scott's and finally got around to opening it up yesterday. The zetagi looks decent built. That mic cord had to go though, thick, short and didn't flex worth a flip. Since I knew it had to be rewired to 4 pin, I went ahead and replaced it with a nice long flexible cord with strain relief. I might make a thread on the mic itself.

Anyway, question for you zetagi users. The mic is an electret condenser and although the 7900v has either elec/dyna function, which one do you fellas choose? I'm using the dynamic setting and seems to sound better than electret.

I'm assuming that in the electret function, voltage is sent to the mic for the stock mic and in the dynamic it is not.

I like the mic, it sounds good on the monitor but have yet to get on air reports.

Any comments, suggestions?

Yeah, I don't understand why they put that short, tight cord on this mic. I didn’t need to re-wire mine so I just bought a 3 foot extension. As for the mic mode on the radio, I honestly haven't tried the dynamic mode, but I'll definitely do that soon. I was getting great reports, both local and dx with it set to electric. And like I said in my previous post, mic gain on radio 36 and gain on mic at 5 to 6. I keep the tone set low, down to 1 but that's just my preference.

I'll set it to dynamic and talk to some locals today or tomorrow and let you know my results.

Those zetagi desk mics look nice.
Wondering how they work out on a Stryker 955 too.
I've got several Astatic d104 type stashed back.

Reactions: Brother DXer
I've had the Zetagi on my 955 for an hour or so, and they say it had a great sound. I too have a D104 desk mic and it's one of my favorites, although it's not as reliable as a new Zetagi. Seems like I have to give it some tlc every month or so.

Reactions: Keto
I've had the Zetagi on my 955 for an hour or so, and they say it had a great sound. I too have a D104 desk mic and it's one of my favorites, although it's not as reliable as a new Zetagi. Seems like I have to give it some tlc every month or so.
Aah that sounds positive, I'm very interested.

Reactions: Brother DXer
I got my stuff from Scott's and finally got around to opening it up yesterday. The zetagi looks decent built. That mic cord had to go though, thick, short and didn't flex worth a flip. Since I knew it had to be rewired to 4 pin, I went ahead and replaced it with a nice long flexible cord with strain relief. I might make a thread on the mic itself.

Anyway, question for you zetagi users. The mic is an electret condenser and although the 7900v has either elec/dyna function, which one do you fellas choose? I'm using the dynamic setting and seems to sound better than electret.

I'm assuming that in the electret function, voltage is sent to the mic for the stock mic and in the dynamic it is not.

I like the mic, it sounds good on the monitor but have yet to get on air reports.

Any comments, suggestions?
You are correct about the electret/dynamic setting in the radio. The electret mode puts power on the audio wire to power the element. With a power mic, this voltage is going to the amplifier output in the microphone and is not helpful in any way and could possibly damage the microphone or radio or both. So with a power mic, always choose dynamic no matter what type of element it uses.

A great electret mic to use with these radios is the Uniden bc645. I use one on my Stryker 955 and get great reports. Listening on my station monitor, it is a very natural sounding mic. On sale now for $15.

Uniden BC645 4-Pin Microphone replacement for CB Radios, Comfortable Ergonomic Design, Rugged Construction, Clear Quality Sound, Built for the Professional Driver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CLIB5K/?tag=worradfor-20

Last edited:
You are correct about the electret/dynamic setting in the radio. The electret mode puts power on the audio wire to power the element. With a power mic, this voltage is going to the amplifier output in the microphone and is not helpful in any way and could possibly damage the microphone or radio or both. So with a power mic, always choose dynamic no matter what type of element it uses.
Thanks! Good info to know.

@Shadetree Mechanic That was exactly my suspicion, thank you for confirming that. It takes the gain on the mic a little higher when in dynamic mode which problem means there's an impedance change as well. On dynamic it seems to sound good but in a week or so I can give an opinion. It's not a bad looking mic.

Those zetagi desk mics look nice.
Wondering how they work out on a Stryker 955 too.
I've got several Astatic d104 type stashed back.
If you ever want to part with one of those say so. That would be a cool carcass for building a nice dynamic mic out of. All the ones found on eBay look like they came out of a junkyard...

Reactions: Keto
If you ever want to part with one of those say so. That would be a cool carcass for building a nice dynamic mic out of. All the ones found on eBay look like they came out of a junkyard...
I like what guys do with them and I'll remember that if I decide to pass any of them on.

Reactions: Eldorado828

A great electret mic to use with these radios is the Uniden bc645. I use one on my Stryker 955 and get great reports. Listening on my station monitor, it is a very natural sounding mic. On sale now for $15.

Uniden BC645 4-Pin Microphone replacement for CB Radios, Comfortable Ergonomic Design, Rugged Construction, Clear Quality Sound, Built for the Professional Driver Amazon product ASIN B008CLIB5K

Yes that's a very good microphone for radios that come with electret mics such as some of the President radios. Used one a Lincoln 2+, and it sounded great.

On the other hand, the dynamic mic that looks just like it is junk. It has very low modulation even on a jacked up radio. The dynamic mic comes stock with the Uniden PC78LTX.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.