• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone at-5555n II (version 2)

OK, so I attempted to post a video demonstrating the problem I am having with this new 5555N2 I just bought, but it appears that I can not. The video showed both the noise and the signal indication on the new 5555N2 at the same frequencies, and in the same mode as 4 other radios that I compared it to.

And here's the issue:

The new radio (5555N2) displays a 4-5 S-unit noise floor at ALL times, on ALL frequencies, and in ALL modes. It is also very noisy, so it appears that it's not merely an out of alignment S-meter, because it has the loud hash noise floor to match.

The problem is, the 7610, the HR2510, the Emperor, and the 2950 all show NOTHING. No noise floor on 10 meters at night, and on the very same antenna. As well as the same Astron 70 amp power supply, and placed in the same physical location as the 5555, while testing.

All are quiet on the receive, with NO indication on the S-meter, except a one dot flicker (about a quarter S-unit) on the 7610 meter from time to time, since it is a sensitive receiver with a much better S-meter. All radios set the same. No NB, no pre-amp, no attenuation, etc...

But the new 5555N2? Loud hash and 4-5 on the meter, with same antenna, on same frequency. It was suggested that maybe the S-meter is not aligned properly from the factory, which is actually the first thing I though of too, when I first discovered this. But this is an actual (noisy) noise floor, to accompany the reading on the meter. It's unusable, except for strong signals.

I did an experiment with a friend who lives a few miles away. He adjusted the power on his radio to hit my IC-7610 at 9 S-units. Once I switched to any of the other radios (HR2510, Emperor, Ranger, etc...) I got the same signal from him, at 9 S-units, so they all agreed with each other.

Once I switched in the new 5555N2, He keyed up for me and the meter said 7 flashing 8. Now if the S-meter was simply out of alignment, and STARTING OUT aligned way to high (with 4-5 S-units out of the gate) you would think that the received reading from my friend's station would be HIGHER than it was on all the other radios, but instead, it was about 1.5 S-units LOWER, so the receive is not only showing a noise floor that shouldn't exist, it's also receiving normal signals weaker than they should be.

So if I got in the Service Menu and turned DOWN the S-meter, not only would it not get rid of the NOISE, but also anyone who should be hitting me with 9, will now be hitting me with nothing. So the S-meter is not the problem. The problem is that the radio is picking up a noise floor that shouldn't be. I guess something is internally generating that signal, because nothing external is doing it, as proved by all my other receivers.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the "Scott's Radio" guy (in one of his videos) was having the exact same issue during a live QSO that he recorded, albeit a little less (more like 3-4 S-unit) than my radio is displaying. During the day today, when all my other radios were showing a 1-S-unit noise floor on 10 meters, the new 5555N2 was showing 7!

Scott's way of dealing with it, was to use the NR turned up to 5. Which got rid of the sound from that artificial noise floor, but not the indication on the meter. Doing this is obviously not the solution to the problem, because that noise is covering weak signals, and in my case, even moderate signals during the day.

Does anyone know what could possibly account for this? This is absolutely NOT normal. In 50 years of radio, I've never had a radio behave this way. I wish I could have posted videos, but I couldn't get it to work on this site, as others have.

I really despise the idea of having to (sigh) send the radio back, because the seller states that buyer pays all return shipping, and I used up a $25 bonus on my Capital One card to buy this radio, which is forfeited if this guy doesn't exchange for another radio, and simply refunds my money. His Ebay page doesn't mention exchanges, only refunds.

So I would end up paying $30 shipping, and also forfeiting my $25 bonus that I used up buying this radio. And THEN end up buying another radio for more money, and wondering the whole time, is THIS one going to do the same thing?

What is your S meter showing with the antenna disconnected from the radio?
It sounds to me like you either have a faulty radio, or (although less likely) something in the shack that is not right.

See my videos in the previous posts. If your AT-5555Nii doesn't work like that, something is obviously wrong.

Good luck! 73

It sounds to me like you either have a faulty radio, or (although less likely) something in the shack that is not right.

See my videos in the previous posts. If your AT-5555Nii doesn't work like that, something is obviously wrong.

Good luck! 73
My N2 works somewhat similarly. There is always a signal on the S meter around 3 to 4 and the S meter seems a bit lazy after S-8. I run the NR at 2 with the Hi Cut on and back off the RF gain and turn up the volume. I understand your frustration but luckily here I do not have any other radios to compare it with. I still find it hears everything through the extension speaker very well. The radio has plenty of sensitivity and volume to compensate the reduced RF gain. Perhaps there is something in the system menu that will solve this issue but for now I can live with it. For sure I would not be happy listening to the radio with the NR set on 5. I am running a Diamond switch mode PSU.
Lets compare serial numbers: 1760222580490

My N2 works somewhat similarly. There is always a signal on the S meter around 3 to 4 and the S meter seems a bit lazy after S-8. I run the NR at 2 with the Hi Cut on and back off the RF gain and turn up the volume. I understand your frustration but luckily here I do not have any other radios to compare it with. I still find it hears everything through the extension speaker very well. The radio has plenty of sensitivity and volume to compensate the reduced RF gain. Perhaps there is something in the system menu that will solve this issue but for now I can live with it. For sure I would not be happy listening to the radio with the NR set on 5. I am running a Diamond switch mode PSU.
With the antenna removed and all knobs to the right, no reading at all on the meter and very little volume at all from the speaker..in fact nothing. I do run a 6 element beam at 120' and that could well be part of the problem. Just might be overloading the poor thing! NR on 3 and Hicut on takes away all the noise in the speaker. I will just keep the RF gain down and not worry about the meter too much. Everybody is 5 and 9.

@ TimmyTheTorch

"But since the wires for pins 1 and 3 are actually touching, I don't think this D104 will work with any radio at the moment, including the Anytone."

Yes that is a problem....:ROFLMAO:

Another problem is that your D-104 mic plug is not wired correctly for a Cobra.

The White wire currently on Pin 1, needs to be switched to pin 2 and the Blue/shield on pin 2 needs to be switched to pin 1

Good Luck.
Good news, the new mic plug arrived today and I was able to replace the original one with few issues. I swapped wires for pins 1 and 2 when I wired up the new one and the D104 now works on the Anytone. And I just heard about a great deal on another desk mike I may just try. This is worse than my 40 year golfing addiction before back issues relieved me of that hobby.

And might I add, a hearty thank you to everyone on this thread/board that helps pass along their knowledge to those of us that are less knowledgeable.

Reactions: Pez

Good luck! 73

Hi, and thanks again for your response and the previous one.

The first thing I did last Wednesday after noticing the issue I have described, is disconnect the antenna. Radio displayed zero signal with zero noise, as it should.

This is why I was so sure that I have a faulty receive in this radio. With the antenna plugged in, I thought SURELY this can't be "normal" for this radio. I have owned more radios than most people ever dreamed of, and even collected them at one time. Sold off most of them over the last 20 years, but this transceiver is the first one ever to behave this way. With a big noise floor indicated, when there ISN'T one.

But then again, this radio seems to do other things that are different, as well. I can often hear voice "artifacts" from a particular signal as I scroll through the frequencies, even in big steps on the 10 Khz step setting. And this is not coming from a "ginormous" local or skip signal, which would make bleedover a normal thing. This sounds more like "digital artifacts" from a voice signal on another frequency, for lack of a better way to describe it.

It's not just your basic "adjacent channel" type of interference, from a strong signal. It's more like hearing a weak signal from a station, but hearing it all over with equal strength, as I scroll all around. I realize that this radio is much different than old school, with all SMT, no internal adjustments, etc... It shows other weird stuff, like delays in everything. Even a delay when using RF Gain. Turn your RF Gain down rapidly, and watch how slowly the bars drop off. None of my other radios have ever done this.

Try making adjustments in the menu. Many of the functions are "sluggish" in their response, as you make changes. I guess it's because everything is changed by the computer, rather than the instantaneous changes that physical switches produce. But my other menu-driven radios don't act this way. Everything is instantaneous on them.

That being said, I don't really mind this aspect of the radio, but was just mentioning it, because it's one of the quirky things I've noticed while dinking around with it. The only two things that really bother me are these:

1) Radio has a stingy S-meter when it comes to real (actual) signals, and yet it has a phony noise floor of 5 S-units, when there ISN'T one. The S-meter is definitely screwball, no matter how you slice it. And there was another poster who mentioned that his does the same thing, and he described how he deals with it. I will address him after I finish with this post.

It's a good thing that this radio comes with DNR, because I NEED it, in order to make it tolerable to listen to, with that ridiculous 4-5 S-unit noise floor. The DNR does removes a lot of the noise, but unfortunately (as is the case with most DNR in transceivers), it imparts a "wavery" sound effect to the voice, which I'm not a real fan of. I can see why others have settled on 2 or 3 for their DNR setting. That makes listening tolerable, but doesn't destroy the fidelity of the audio like 5 does.

That guy (Scott) from Scott's Radios (on YouTube) uses the "5" DNR setting. At least he did during his "live QSO" video. That's how he deals with the crazy artificial noise floor. Without it, he can't stand the noise either.

2) The other major annoyance with this radio, is the step change layout. With a Ranger or HR2510, it's so easy to change step and scroll anywhere you want, rapidly. If you are a ham and use the radio on 10 meters, you can probably relate. Most CB'ers won't be bothered by it, because they'll just leave in on the 5 (or 10) KHz step. Only occasionally changing down to 1 KHz to get in-between "channels". Usually on the freeband.

But the good thing is, I bought the radio predominantly as a SHTF communications back up. I will continue using my IC-7610 for day to day hobby type communications. And no, I would never expect a radio like the 5555N2 to compare to a real radio, but I do expect it to behave normally, as does the HR2510, the Ranger, and the Emperor. And most other 10/11 meter rigs, as well.

Ironically, one of the reasons I bought this radio over the 6666, was because I liked the big display and the triple meter layout. But the S-meter SUCKS. And when the radio is placed in the AM mode, watch your power meter (on the radio). This one pegs the entire meter to the "MAX" mark when modulating, even though I know it's actually peaking just under 60W according to the outboard PEP meter. Maybe that's more of a "Modulation" meter in AM Mode. I don't know.

Again, I know that it's a cheap radio. I don't expect a miracle... lol. Just not sure why it does that. Because the dead key reading on AM is accurate. But the PEP reading hammers the whole meter. No big deal whatsoever. Just another observation.

I will say this, if it wasn't for the issue with the ALWAYS present 4-5 S-units of noise floor, this would be my favorite 10/11 meter radio of all time. Yes, it has a cheap feel to it, compared to old HR2510, and even the Ranger, but as far as features go, this one is the best, aside from the crap with the phony noise floor, and the seeming necessity to run the DNR that just ruins it for me.

I do like the transmit on it, and it's stock mic is usable, albeit not optimal by any stretch. I will be getting a better microphone for it. I have an old mic from a Galaxy 949 that I will try out on it, once I get the adapter for the RJ45, which is my only other real dislike of this radio, but as the other guy mentioned before, it's manageable. Just need to get an adapter.

I'm not a fan of echo, but this radio actually has a very good echo on it. And if used with just tinge of echo sounds very nice. The full scale echo settings is pretty impressive, as far as "built-in" echoes go. But obviously, that's just something to play with for a minute or two, and then turn off... lol.

At any rate, I am going to reply to that other poster who responded to my initial post. The guy who said that his radio behaves much like mine. The quandry that this puts me in, is this:

IS my radio defective? Or is it "normal" for THIS radio? The guy I am responding to in THIS post seems knowledgeable, and says NO, this is definitely not normal, which was MY opinion, as well. But the other guy seems to have the same issue, as did Scott in one of his YouTube videos.

So... $hit! I don't know! :)

Last edited:
Hi, and thanks again for your response and the previous one.

The first thing I did last Wednesday after noticing the issue I have described, is disconnect the antenna. Radio displayed zero signal with zero noise, as it should.

This is why I was so sure that I have a faulty receive in this radio. With the antenna plugged in, I thought SURELY this can't be "normal" for this radio. I have owned more radios than most people ever dreamed of, and even collected them at one time. Sold off most of them over the last 20 years, but this transceiver is the first one ever to behave this way. With a big noise floor indicated, when there ISN'T one.

But then again, this radio seems to do other things that are different, as well. I can often hear voice "artifacts" from a particular signal as I scroll through the frequencies, even in big steps on the 10 Khz step setting. And this is not coming from a "ginormous" local or skip signal, which would make bleedover a normal thing. This sounds more like "digital artifacts" from a voice signal on another frequency, for lack of a better way to describe it.

It's not just your basic "adjacent channel" type of interference, from a strong signal. It's more like hearing a weak signal from a station, but hearing it all over with equal strength, as I scroll all around. I realize that this radio is much different than old school, with all SMT, no internal adjustments, etc... It shows other weird stuff, like delays in everything. Even a delay when using RF Gain. Turn your RF Gain down rapidly, and watch how slowly the bars drop off. None of my other radios have ever done this.

Try making adjustments in the menu. Many of the functions are "sluggish" in their response, as you make changes. I guess it's because everything is changed by the computer, rather than the instantaneous changes that physical switches produce. But my other menu-driven radios don't act this way. Everything is instantaneous on them.

That being said, I don't really mind this aspect of the radio, but was just mentioning it, because it's one of the quirky things I've noticed while dinking around with it. The only two things that really bother me are these:

1) Radio has a stingy S-meter when it comes to real (actual) signals, and yet it has a phony noise floor of 5 S-units, when there ISN'T one. The S-meter is definitely screwball, no matter how you slice it. And there was another poster who mentioned that his does the same thing, and he described how he deals with it. I will address him after I finish with this post.

It's a good thing that this radio comes with DNR, because I NEED it, in order to make it tolerable to listen to, with that ridiculous 4-5 S-unit noise floor. The DNR does removes a lot of the noise, but unfortunately (as is the case with most DNR in transceivers), it imparts a "wavery" sound effect to the voice, which I'm not a real fan of. I can see why others have settled on 2 or 3 for their DNR setting. That makes listening tolerable, but doesn't destroy the fidelity of the audio like 5 does.

That guy (Scott) from Scott's Radios (on YouTube) uses the "5" DNR setting. At least he did during his "live QSO" video. That's how he deals with the crazy artificial noise floor. Without it, he can't stand the noise either.

2) The other major annoyance with this radio, is the step change layout. With a Ranger or HR2510, it's so easy to change step and scroll anywhere you want, rapidly. If you are a ham and use the radio on 10 meters, you can probably relate. Most CB'ers won't be bothered by it, because they'll just leave in on the 5 (or 10) KHz step. Only occasionally changing down to 1 KHz to get in-between "channels". Usually on the freeband.

But the good thing is, I bought the radio predominantly as a SHTF communications back up. I will continue using my IC-7610 for day to day hobby type communications. And no, I would never expect a radio like the 5555N2 to compare to a real radio, but I do expect it to behave normally, as does the HR2510, the Ranger, and the Emperor. And most other 10/11 meter rigs, as well.

Ironically, one of the reasons I bought this radio over the 6666, was because I liked the big display and the triple meter layout. But the S-meter SUCKS. And when the radio is placed in the AM mode, watch your power meter (on the radio). This one pegs the entire meter to the 100W mark when modulating, even though I know it's actually peaking just under 60W according to the outboard PEP meter.

Again, I know that it's a cheap radio. I don't expect a miracle... lol. Just not sure why it does that. Because the dead key reading on AM is accurate. But the PEP reading hammers the whole meter. No big deal whatsoever. Just another observation.

I will say this, if it wasn't for the issue with the ALWAYS present 4-5 S-units of noise floor, this would be my favorite 10/11 meter radio of all time. Yes, it has a cheap feel to it, compared to old HR2510, and even the Ranger, but as far as features go, this one is the best, aside from the crap with the phony noise floor, and the seeming necessity to run the DNR that just ruins it for me.

I do like the transmit on it, and it's stock mic is usable, albeit not optimal by any stretch. I will be getting a better microphone for it. I have an old mic from a Galaxy 949 that I will try out on it, once I get the adapter for the RJ45, which is my only other real dislike of this radio, but as the other guy mentioned before, it's manageable. Just need to get an adapter.

I'm not a fan of echo, but this radio actually has a very good echo on it. And if used with just tinge of echo sounds very nice. The full scale echo settings is pretty impressive, as far as "built-in" echoes go. But obviously, that's just something to play with for a minute or two, and then turn off... lol.

At any rate, I am going to reply to that other poster who responded to my initial post. The guy who said that his radio behaves much like mine. The quandry that this puts me in, is this:

IS my radio defective? Or is it "normal" for THIS radio? The guy I am responding to in THIS post seems knowledgeable, and says NO, this is definitely not normal, which was MY opinion, as well. But the other guy seems to have the same issue, as did Scott in one of his YouTube videos.

So... $hit! I don't know! :)
My AT-5555Nii is not behaving anything like what you have described. Nor
have the other 3 which have been in my shack. They have all been fantastic.

The things I love about my AT-5555Nii:

1) Amazing RX performance
2) Brilliant STEP size options (including the 5kHz step)
3) Build quality
4) The front panel metering and display
5) Menu and button layout
6) Great Band (bank) and memory flexibility

I would say that the build quality is fantastic on these radios - Yes, even compared to my many many other radios (including Rangers, and Galaxy, Uniden, Magnum, Albrecht, and Realistic (HR2510) etc. etc. etc.).

My S-meter is accurate against a FTDX10. What more can I say about that!
Regarding the bleed over "artifacts" you mentioned? Turn OFF your NB (Noise BLANKER) - this has been discussed here in this thread at length already.

Also the VFO step feature on the AT-5555Nii is the best I have used on ANY 10m radio, ever. I don't know how you can find the 1, 10, 100 steps on a HR2510 better, when the AT-5555Nii give you all of that, PLUS 5khz as well!??
(A quick push on the VFO knob and you are in Step mode. Press it again to change to whatever step you want. Use the Menu to set the default will always revert to. - I will go as far as to say, that the 5555Nii is the ONLY radio to ever get this right (other than the Optima of many years ago).

Scotts Radios do a great job - I haven't seen the video you talk about, but running the NR on 5 is crazy - it isn't useable there. Set to 3 at absolute maximum.

Have you watched the 2 videos I posted? Did you look at my S meter readings? I posted these videos so that you can see how my radio works on RX. My radio is working excellent, and you should be able to see the same thing as me. Do you agree that mine is all good? I am not having the problems you are having (again, please watch the videos and let me know.)

FYI - as you did find, the TX power output meter is NOT accurate on the AT-5555Nii - it is an indication only. Mine have all been accurate on SWR and RX signal, but TX output scale is a rough guess. This is the case because of the way the meter circuit is designed - it works well for SWR - and can only guess at power level.

I hope you can resolve your issues. Maybe a replacement radio is the only answer? - however if you still have problem then, you will NEED to look closer at your installation. The AT-5555Nii is an extremely high quality and great performing radio - these are NOT junk radios. It is the closest performer to top end Ham Radios that I have ever had in the shack. You will need to look closer at your installation if the problems persist on a replacement radio. That's all I can suggest.

Good luck! 73

Last edited:
I definitely value your opinion, especially after perusing your QRZ page. I'll try addressing a few of your points, one at a time.

Yes, I did look at your videos after you first referred me to them. Personally, the FTDX10 (in my view) works far and away better than the 450 and the 5555. But that's somewhat expected, considering the price differences. And that comes from someone who isn't a fan of the FTDX10, or it's big Bro, the 101. They are not "bad" radios at all, they're just not for me. I much prefer Icoms and Kenwoods, but again, it's all about personal preference. Which is why I run the 7610.

Your 5555 does appear to work much better than mine. I notice that you too, seem to prefer having the NR on. I realize that this is what it's "for", per se, but I've always thought of NR as something that gets used in situations where you are subjected to man made noise nearby, rather than using it as a full time solution to atmospheric background noise, which (at least in my case) is ridiculous on this radio, as compared to the nice quiet receive of my other 10M rigs, and of course, the 7610.

Something you said: "Regarding the bleed over "artifacts" you mentioned? Turn OFF your NB (Noise BLANKER) - this has been discussed here in this thread at length already."

Yes, I know that it's been discussed, but for me, it was a non issue, because I do not use the NB at all, finding zero difference with it on, verses off. It was happening with NB and NR both off. When I mentioned the "bleedover", this is a term that I would normally use to describe adjacent channel interference. But for this condition I'm hearing, I used the word "artifact" because it sounds "digital", and "bleeds over" with equal (albeit low) strength, even when cruising around, up or down in frequency, unlike traditional bleedover, which gets stronger as you approach the channel that it's coming from, and weaker as you move away.

Not sure if you will follow what I'm saying here, but that's about the only way I can describe it. It's not "normal" bleedover" in the usual use of the term. The fact that other people have noticed the phenomenon indicates that I'm not imagining things. But it's really a moot point, because it doesn't really bother me, but it is strange, as compared to my other radios which have no such anomalies.

You said: "A quick push on the VFO knob and you are in Step mode. Press it again to change to whatever step you want."

Well well... You just told me something I was completely unaware of. VERY cool! Because I thought I had to go back into the menu to find (and change) EVERY step change I want to make. Maybe you can see how that WOULD suck. I didn't even know that I could push the VFO knob to make any step changes, until you pointed that out. I thought it was only used (pushed) when inside the Menu.

So that little snippet of info you provided was extremely useful. Thanks. :)

You said: "Scott's Radios do a great job - I haven't seen the video you talk about, but running the NR on 5 is crazy - it isn't useable there. Set to 3 at absolute maximum."

Here is the video I am referring to. And yes, it's actually the CRT SS7900V, But it's the same radio as the AT5555N2 in every way I can see. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. He's getting 3 S-units of noise floor at all times, and he leaves his NR on 5, which I agree with you about. It's too much:

Here's another QSO video on his YouTube page. It's very difficult to see, because you're getting the perspective from a guy he's talking to (on a 5555), from HIS end, who turns the video on it's side after the initial intro. But try and pay attention to the very brief times the radio is not keyed up, and before the distant station keys up. You can see that his noise floor is like mine. However, it IS possible that he does have an RFI problem at his QTH, which I do not.

So I am starting to think that it may be "normal" for this radio, and that some might do it worse than others.

You mentioned: "you will need to look closer at your installation if the problems persist on a replacement radio."

If I were to purchase a replacement radio and it does the exact same thing, I would be far more apt to just accept the fact that this is just the way they "work". Because I am a veritable expert when it comes to RFI and hunting it down. I've been an Extra-Class Amateur for a long time. I've worked in broadcast radio my entire adult life, both on air and in engineering, and I'm 60 years old.

Add to that the fact that I have 4 other radios all indicating a nice non-existent noise floor, while this 5555 indicated 5 and is noisy, while the others are quiet. Now don't get me wrong, there are times when the noise floor here legitimately IS elevated during the day, with either more atmospheric noise floor, or someone in the neighborhood running something electronic and jacking it up. Today, when the real noise floor was about 1 S-unit on 10 meters with my other radios, the phony noise floor on the 5555 was bouncing between 6 and 7, on a clear frequency with no activity.

This is why I thought that maybe they just made these radios with an "always on" pre-amp. As you know, a lot of hams do use pre-amp a lot on the high bands, depending on conditions. And that's what this radio LOOKS like is going on, except for the fact that REAL signals are not ALSO "pre-amped". Just the noise floor looks pre-amped.

Anyway, my shack is very well put together, grounded well, and all high quality equipment. The only radio that is acting this way, is the one in question.

So, I'm still mulling this over, but you definitely helped when you mentioned the Step change and the VFO push. I was completely unaware of that. Now that I know about it, that eliminated one thing I really didn't like. I'm sure if you were under the impression that you must make all changes in the Menu, you would have dislike that as well... :)

I just get this radio 2 days ago, so I'm still weeding through everything. My single biggest concern is the original one I mentioned, and that is the phony elevated noise floor which only shows up on this ONE radio, and none of my other radios.

I'm taking a break, but will get back to that other gentleman who responded in a bit. His post was interersting, because his radio sounds like mine, but maybe not quite as bad.

Last edited:
I definitely value your opinion, especially after perusing your QRZ page. I'll try addressing a few of your points, one at a time.

Yes, I did look at your videos after you first referred me to them. Personally, the FTDX10 (in my view) works far and away better than the 450 and the 5555. But that's somewhat expected, considering the price differences. And that comes from someone who isn't a fan of the FTDX10, or it's big Bro, the 101. They are not "bad" radios at all, they're just not for me. I much prefer Icoms and Kenwoods, but again, it's all about personal preference. Which is why I run the 7610.

Your 5555 does appear to work much better than mine. I notice that you too, seem to prefer having the NR on. I realize that this is what it's "for", per se, but I've always thought of NR as something that gets used in situations where you are subjected to man made noise nearby, rather than using it as a full time solution to atmospheric background noise, which (at least in my case) is ridiculous on this radio, as compared to the nice quiet receive of my other 10M rigs, and of course, the 7610.

Something you said: "Regarding the bleed over "artifacts" you mentioned? Turn OFF your NB (Noise BLANKER) - this has been discussed here in this thread at length already."

Yes, I know that it's been discussed, but for me, it was a non issue, because I do not use the NB at all, finding zero difference with it on, verses off. It was happening with NB and NR both off. When I mentioned the "bleedover", this is a term that I would normally use to describe adjacent channel interference. But for this condition I'm hearing, I used the word "artifact" because it sounds "digital", and "bleeds over" with equal (albeit low) strength, even when cruising around, up or down in frequency, unlike traditional bleedover, which gets stronger as you approach the channel that it's coming from, and weaker as you move away.

Not sure if you will follow what I'm saying here, but that's about the only way I can describe it. It's not "normal" bleedover" in the usual use of the term. The fact that other people have noticed the phenomenon indicates that I'm not imagining things. But it's really a moot point, because it doesn't really bother me, but it is strange, as compared to my other radios which have no such anomalies.

You said: "A quick push on the VFO knob and you are in Step mode. Press it again to change to whatever step you want."

Well well... You just told me something I was completely unaware of. VERY cool! Because I thought I had to go back into the menu to find (and change) EVERY step change I want to make. Maybe you can see how that WOULD suck. I didn't even know that I could push the VFO knob to make any step changes, until you pointed that out. I thought it was only used (pushed) when inside the Menu.

So that little snippet of info you provided was extremely useful. Thanks. :)

You said: "Scott's Radios do a great job - I haven't seen the video you talk about, but running the NR on 5 is crazy - it isn't useable there. Set to 3 at absolute maximum."

Here is the video I am referring to. And yes, it's actually the CRT SS7900V, But it's the same radio as the AT5555N2 in every way I can see. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. He's getting 3 S-units of noise floor at all times, and he leaves his NR on 5, which I agree with you about. It's too much:

Here's another QSO video on his YouTube page. It's very difficult to see, because you're getting the perspective from a guy he's talking to (on a 5555), from HIS end, who turns the video on it's side after the initial intro. But try and pay attention to the very brief times the radio is not keyed up, and before the distant station keys up. You can see that his noise floor is like mine. However, it IS possible that he does have an RFI problem at his QTH, which I do not.

So I am starting to think that it may be "normal" for this radio, and that some might do it worse than others.

You mentioned: "you will need to look closer at your installation if the problems persist on a replacement radio."

If I were to purchase a replacement radio and it does the exact same thing, I would be far more apt to just accept the fact that this is just the way they "work". Because I am a veritable expert when it comes to RFI and hunting it down. I've been an Extra-Class Amateur for a long time. I've worked in broadcast radio my entire adult life, both on air and in engineering, and I'm 60 years old.

Add to that the fact that I have 4 other radios all indicating a nice non-existent noise floor, while this 5555 indicated 5 and is noisy, while the others are quiet. Now don't get me wrong, there are times when the noise floor here legitimately IS elevated during the day, with either more atmospheric noise floor, or someone in the neighborhood running something electronic and jacking it up. Today, when the real noise floor was about 1 S-unit on 10 meters with my other radios, the phony noise floor on the 5555 was bouncing between 6 and 7, on a clear frequency with no activity.

This is why I thought that maybe they just made these radios with an "always on" pre-amp. As you know, a lot of hams do use pre-amp a lot on the high bands, depending on conditions. And that's what this radio LOOKS like is going on, except for the fact that REAL signals are not ALSO "pre-amped". Just the noise floor looks pre-amped.

Anyway, my shack is very well put together, grounded well, and all high quality equipment. The only radio that is acting this way, is the one in question.

So, I'm still mulling this over, but you definitely helped when you mentioned the Step change and the VFO push. I was completely unaware of that. Now that I know about it, that eliminated one thing I really didn't like. I'm sure if you were under the impression that you must make all changes in the Menu, you would have dislike that as well... :)

I just get this radio 2 days ago, so I'm still weeding through everything. My single biggest concern is the original one I mentioned, and that is the phony elevated noise floor which only shows up on this ONE radio, and none of my other radios.

I'm taking a break, but will get back to that other gentleman who responded in a bit. His post was interersting, because his radio sounds like mine, but maybe not quite as bad.

Al good OM. (y) I am absolutely not doubting that the problems you are having are real, I just can't replicate them here. I know that's frustrating, because our situations appear very similar. We have a similar background in our industries, similar shack setup, similar radio's to compare, and if your low noise floor is like mine, genuinely low, then that's similar too.

I cant replicate the "bleed over" or the increased noise floor, or the noisy RX (with or without NR enabled). Mine performs as it should.

I also have a SS7900V, and apart from some minor firmware and CPU configuration differences, they are exactly the same from an RF perspective.

All good on the VFO Step! It's a pretty cool feature! :cool:

Scotts radios does have a high noise floor at his QTH - I have heard him mention this in a few videos.

Regarding the FTDX10 - Its not my favorite radio either, Overall, I much prefer the RX of my TS-990S, and even an old 101E. But, for my AT-5555Nii to be so close to the FTDX10, is fairly remarkable.

FYI, I am not running the NR because I have too, to quieten the RX or anything like that. I still have a quiet RX with it OFF, I just really like how nice the resolved audio is with the NR set at 2. It's like butter to my ears:)

If I were you, I would try another radio. Your's just doesn't seem right. There are so many happy users of the AT-5555Nii now, so we can't all be crazy! hihi

Thanks for the reply!

Interesting, because yours sounds just like mine. Although I believe mine is a little worse, based on your numbers. Having a 5 S-unit noise floor and having to use NR 3 to make it livable.

If I back down the RF gain to where there's only one S-unit (or so), there is way too much taken away from the sensitivity of the radio. I further lose my ability to hear weaker stations, by a lot.

As you mentioned, it would be awesome to be able to find something in the Service Menu that could help this situation, but unless I know for certain what I am doing, I've never been one to "tinker" around with that. That being said, I've made many adjustments to Ham rigs in their service menus before. As long as I have the appropriate literature (and test equipment) right in front of me.

You mentioned comparing serial numbers. Here's mine: 1760222580322
Yours: 1760222580490

So yours appears to be slightly newer. Maybe made the same day though, depending on how many they crank out, a day.

You said: "With the antenna removed and all knobs to the right, no reading at all on the meter and very little volume at all from the speaker..in fact nothing."

Same here, and to be expected.

You said: "I do run a 6 element beam at 120' and that could well be part of the problem. Just might be overloading the poor thing!"

I would think yours would be nice and quiet way up there! Beam, or no beam. Must be nice! :) That makes me think (even more) that this issue resides in the radio design. But like I mentioned previously, some being worse than others. That other forum member "PEZ" seems to have gotten a good one.

Last edited:

Al good OM. (y) I am absolutely not doubting that the problems you are having are real, I just can't replicate them here. I know that's frustrating, because our situations appear very similar. We have a similar background in our industries, similar shack setup, similar radio's to compare, and if your low noise floor is like mine, genuinely low, then that's similar too.

I cant replicate the "bleed over" or the increased noise floor, or the noisy RX (with or without NR enabled). Mine performs as it should.

I also have a SS7900V, and apart from some minor firmware and CPU configuration differences, they are exactly the same from an RF perspective.

All good on the VFO Step! It's a pretty cool feature! :cool:

Scotts radios does have a high noise floor at his QTH - I have heard him mention this in a few videos.

Regarding the FTDX10 - Its not my favorite radio either, Overall, I much prefer the RX of my TS-990S, and even an old 101E. But, for my AT-5555Nii to be so close to the FTDX10, is fairly remarkable.

FYI, I am not running the NR because I have too, to quieten the RX or anything like that. I still have a quiet RX with it OFF, I just really like how nice the resolved audio is with the NR set at 2. It's like butter to my ears:)

If I were you, I would try another radio. Your's just doesn't seem right. There are so many happy users of the AT-5555Nii now, so we can't all be crazy! hihi

There are so many happy users of the AT-5555Nii now, so we can't all be crazy! hihi

Exactly why I bought one! That's why I am so bummed that I got one that's doing this. Just my luck, though.

I assume he has a high noise floor in general, on ALL his radios. Because of local RFI.

Considering that my locale is nice and quiet, and yet my noise floor reading on this radio is worse than HIS QTH (which you just said was noisy), you can see why this is really annoying.

I do know for certain that I do not like the current situation with the receive.

Last edited:
Exactly why I bought one! That's why I am so bummed that I got one that's doing this. Just my luck, though.

I assume he has a high noise floor in general, on ALL his radios. Because of local RFI.

Considering that my locale is nice and quiet, and yet my noise floor reading on this radio is worse than HIS QTH (which you just said was noisy), you can see why this is really annoying.

I do know for certain that I do not like the current situation with the receive.
What antenna are you using and have you tried it with another antenna or dummy load as opposed to no antenna. It looks like our radios came from the same production run. I also hear those noises you speak of..I assumed from the NR as it reacts to incoming signals or settles down after changing channel or after tx. I agree something is not quite right but I hadnt thought too much about it until you brought it up. I will test the 5555 plus radio I have which was purchased at the same time and listen carefully to compare. Something is going on when a signal is present. But while it could be annoying to some..I can live with it. Hopefully not due to a component issue. Its good you have brought this up so Anytone can set about fixing it...whatever it is that is causing it.

I'm pretty much right on the cusp of sending this radio back. I love most things about the radio, but the number one thing I wanted was a nice sensitive and quiet receive.

Is there anyone else that has this issue?

In a nutshell:

A 5555N2 that NEVER shows less than a 4 S-unit indication on your meter? Even when you know the band is totally quiet, with no noise floor, as tested against the receive of another radio?

It's not as if I expect "perfect". But this is very annoying. It's the only radio I have (and have ever had) that shows a 4-5 level S-meter reading ALL (emphasis on the word "ALL") the time. When I know that there is NO noise floor on the band, according to my other radio(s).

And during the day, when there really IS a legitimate noise floor of just 1 S-unit, this thing shows a 6 or 7.

The reason I want to know if there are others with the same experience, is because this is what determines whether I send it back, or just live with it.

If I send it back, it's going to cost me money. And that's OK... IF... I'm pretty sure I won't end up with another radio that does the very same thing.

If there are other people that have a 5555 that does the very same thing, then I'll likely just accept that's just the way it is, keep it, and sock it away for emergencies.

A couple people have weighed in. One with a similar situation as mine, and one who's radio works the way it is supposed to. Anyone else?

Reactions: Pez

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.