• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone at-5555n II (version 2)

Late day so this is as far as it went with getting my hands on it. There's tomorrow and the weekend for a chance at powering it up though.
View attachment 60005

So you gents that have owned one for a little while now, what mic flavor works well aside from the stock mic? I like the k-po but I've got several different mics and don't want to spend more on one.
Once you get that bad boy fired up and tested, let me know what you think. I've been eye balling them for a bit now.

Reactions: Eldorado828
Late day so this is as far as it went with getting my hands on it. There's tomorrow and the weekend for a chance at powering it up though.
View attachment 60005

So you gents that have owned one for a little while now, what mic flavor works well aside from the stock mic? I like the k-po but I've got several different mics and don't want to spend more on one.
My radio is run strictly mobile in a big truck. I have been using a 636 on mine and have had many compliments on it. I've tried a Road Devil a couple of times and it sounds good but has a tendency to squeal so I ditched that! I was tempted to try a SRA-198 but after watching Scott's comparison video Nah! The only radio the SRA-198 seems to sound good on is the 955 I have that has some audio mods done by Dave White. I would try the stock mic but it has that annoying pop sound with p's. It's actually not too bad feeling in hand.
So far I like this radio although I might consider sending it to Scott to have it setup on proper equipment after I watched this.....

We'll see! I do recommend this radio at this price I think it's a great value.

JD

I too think that #3 for the noise reduction on RX is the sweet spot, also have not messed with the TX noise reduction. Just curious if you got your hands on the software for the v2? Anytone website just has the at-5555N listed not version 2? Have fun with your new radio this one is a keeper!
OK call me stupid but I have the newer AT-5555N version 2 and I see a Noise Blanker but I do not see anything in the manual or the radio for noise reduction or setting "3" some help please, thanks WWS5081 and 2IS1128, Craig

The DSP noise reduction works awesome.

If you are receiving somebody that has a good signal with a lot of hiss and crackling sounds, the DSP will make them crystal clear.
How do you turn on or adjust the DSP noise reduction. I see nothing in the manual or anything on the radio for this feature. Thanks cfsimm2004

How do you turn on or adjust the DSP noise reduction. I see nothing in the manual or anything on the radio for this feature. Thanks cfsimm2004
Press and hold menu button till in menu..turn channel selector till you see RXNR then push channel selector to adjust dsp settings 2 or 3 is the sweet spot on these I think. then push channel selector to finish.

Reactions: Eldorado828
Now that most of you have had a chance to run this radio through its paces, I'm curious if there's a noticeable difference between one straight out of the box vs one that's had a few adjustments via the PC software?

I'm running straight from the box with the exception of the 11 meter mod and WOW, I'm loving this radio! Been getting great reports coming in, and from my end, the ease of use and settings are very likeable.

So I suppose what I'm asking is, would it be worth running the software or "if it ain't broke don’t fix it"?? Thanks!

I own the 7900v which is the same radio minus the weather band but all else is the same. Only thing done was the factory tune cleaned up for a super clean wave form. Other than that they perform exceptionally well. Unless you want to turn features on or off, add or subtract frequencies there's no need in changing software settings. Unless you're a roger beep guy then you can do that in there. If it's doing so well I would definitely stay out of the service menu!

I own the 7900v which is the same radio minus the weather band but all else is the same. Only thing done was the factory tune cleaned up for a super clean wave form. Other than that they perform exceptionally well. Unless you want to turn features on or off, add or subtract frequencies there's no need in changing software settings. Unless you're a roger beep guy then you can do that in there. If it's doing so well I would definitely stay out of the service menu!
Thanks Eldorado828!
You just reinforced what my gut was telling me. "Leave well enough alone."
Pretty much everything I've read and watched indicates the radio is basically ready to go out of the box. I just wanted to be sure there wasn't something I was missing.

It feels very odd to get a new radio and not let a technician do the magic tune on it. It also feels great, because it makes me think they're finally making strides in the technology for radios.
Thanks again, brother!

Thought I'd report back. Several months back I took one of the current d104m6 hand mics and did a board swap with a new old stock board. The mic turned out pretty good. So tried the mic with this radio and so far it's doing great with pleasant on air reports as well as sounding good on the monitor radio. Tried the 636 and telex rk56 but just wasn't pleased with the audio. I'll get the 575m6, and palomar sl41 out this weekend to see how they do. Keep in mind that this is in a base installation. Will report back on the others soon.

Reactions: Brother DXer
Hey all - I have just received my new CRT SS7900V. I have many other SSB rigs to compare this with, and overall, WOW - what a fantastic radio! Never before have I seen an "export radio" so well sorted out straight from the box, and ready for actual for "Ham" use too. It is in a different league. (Also note that the 7900V does not need internal modifications (no jumpers / no white wire snip), to open 12m-10m mode. It is done via a simple front panel button press, which is not an option that the AT5555n II has. (They have different firmware).

RX DSP is amazing. Sensitivity is great. Power output is on the money. NB actually works. Dead on frequency. It's a joy to use!

The only negatives so far:

- Adjacent channel rejection on SSB is not great. You can hear strong stations across a reasonable frequency range, down in the noise floor (around 50Khz at a guess) - To be clear - this is NOT RX overload/distortion. It sounds a lot more like some internal signal imaging / internal mixing harmonics that are causing this to occur. Weak images of the fundamental frequency, appearing either side of the desired signal (an SDR I/Q phasing issue perhaps??!) It's minor, but it's there if you listen for it.

- FM Deviation is slightly lower than I would like. (AM, and SSB really drive well). (I don't think I have seen FM DEV in the service alignment menu?)

- The Channel selector knob is very clicky - Hey @ANYTONE @CRT - please remove the clicker - or give us a smooth(er) VFO / rotary encoder! This radio deserves it!

- Feature request: It would be good if the radio remembered its previous MODE setting, per BAND. At the moment, it's a global setting (i.e, its the same (last used) mode on all bands, which is annoying because different bands tend to use different modes!)

Otherwise, this rig is fantastic.

What I am hoping for, is proper alignment / service menu information for the V2 radios to become available. (FM Deviation, and RX suppression settings, anyone?)
I wonder if there is a factory service alignment software available for these radios? If so its not available now, however the chances of it existing are high. Keep your eyes open!

How is everyone else going with adjacent channel rejection now, after having some time with the rig?

Attachments

• CRTSS7900V 1.jpg
    CRTSS7900V 1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Hey all - I have just received my new CRT SS7900V. I have many, many other SSB rigs to compare this with, and overall, WOW - what a fantastic radio! Never before have I seen an "export radio" so well sorted out straight from the box, and ready for actual for "Ham" use too. It is in a different league. (Also note that the 7900V does not need internal modifications (no jumpers / no white wire snip), to open 12m-10m mode. It is done via a simple front panel button press, which is NOT an option that the AT5555n II has. (They have DIFFERENT FIRMWARE).

RX DSP is amazing. Sensitivity is great. Power output is on the money. NB actually works. Dead on frequency. It's a joy to use!

The only negatives so far:

- Adjacent channel rejection on SSB is not great. You can hear strong stations across a reasonable frequency range, down in the noise floor (around 50Khz at a guess) - TO BE CLEAR - this is NOT RX overload/distortion. It sounds a lot more like some internal signal imaging / internal mixing harmonics that are causing this to occur. Weak images of the fundamental frequency, appearing either side of the desired signal (an SDR I/Q phasing issue perhaps??!) It's minor, but it's there if you listen for it.

- FM Deviation is slightly lower than I would like. (AM, and SSB really drive well). (I don't think I have seen FM DEV in the service alignment menu?)

- The Channel selector knob is very clicky - HEY @ANYTONE @CRT - please remove the clicker - or give us a smooth(er) VFO / rotary encoder! This radio deserves it!

- Feature request: It would be good if the radio remembered its previous MODE setting, per BAND. At the moment, it's a global setting (i.e, its the same (last used) mode on all bands, which is annoying because different bands tend to use different modes!)

Otherwise, this rig is fantastic.

What I am hoping for, is proper alignment / service menu information for the V2 radios to become available. (FM Deviation, and RX suppression settings, anyone?)
I wonder if there is a factory service alignment software available for these radios? If so its not available now, however the chances of it existing are high. Keep your eyes open!

How is everyone else going with adjacent channel rejection now, after having some time with the rig?

Hi PEZ , just so you know you are NOT the only one to have the adjacent channel rejection problem I have the same thing with mine . I think I was one of the 1st on this forum to own the 5555n2 and have had that problem from the start I just live with it . As you say the radio is so good you can just overlook some things .

Reactions: Pez

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated