• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone at-5555n II (version 2)

I'm finding the receive is a bit different than my Q5n. Service menu item 21, RXNR,
has a great affect on the noise. Default was OFF. Adjusts 1-5. 2 is comfortable to me. The Q5n doesn't have that. I also run these with the NB and HIC on.

I'm getting a lot of atmospheric hiss today. Tomorrow may be different, but to me these have very good receive sections. The noise floor doesn't seem to be any different than the Q5n.
By any chance is your atmospheric hiss on the new rig running at about an S5? :) :)

I still say this is the right radio from me all things considered. Especially now that I'm getting a better hang of some of the UI.

A few days ago I did something that all of a sudden caused the SWR only on channel 40 band D to go above 2:1 where all band D channels lower than that were still at about 1.2:1. It was so high that it was triggering the SWR protection. Huh?

I have a MFJ Versa Tuner II MFJ-941E so I was able to reduce it on channel 40 but then it was awful everywhere else. Turns out that somehow I replaced band D's channel 40's 27.4050 with 26.100 or something similar. So channel 39 was 27.3950 and channel 40 was 26.100 on band D. Still not quite sure what I did but I did a reset and it replaced channel 40 on band D with 27.4050 and the SWR made sense again.

I never had this problem on my old Royce 23 channel rig back in the day. :)

Reactions: Eldorado828
Now today, all NBs are off, and noise at 3. Different day and weather, different readings. We have that storm out of Denver headed our way tonight. I can't wait. I haven't had to shovel snow at all this year. So far.

I received the Zetagi MB+5 mic and adapter plug today for my 5555NII. I changed the mic setting from electret to dynamic and set about seeing how it worked. I am using the Anytone to drive a KL503HD with the radio's output only being set to about 20 watts PEP or less. This gives me about 200 watts-ish out of the amp.

So far I have not hit the right combination of mic gain in the radio's menu combined with the gain knob on the mic itself.

I started out with the radio's gain at 36 and the mic at 7. Way too much. So I turned it down to 30 and 7, still no. When I got to 29 and 6 I at least had a DX contact say that they could definitely hear my signal but could not make out what I was saying, it was too distorted. I ended up going as low as 25 and 6 and I at least had a few people reply correctly to my CQ but I could not carry on a QSO with them due to the conditions. So inconclusive. Hopefully I can find the magic spot in this combo of mic/radio/amp.

I was unable to contact anyone at all without the amp running. There are usually a few locals yapping away on 37 lower in the morning so I'll see if I can get an audio check from one of them tomorrow morning.

It was funny that as soon as I put the stock Anytone mic back on and returned the radio's mic gain to 36, I had a whole mess of folks replying to my CQ DX.

Reactions: Eldorado828
By any chance is your atmospheric hiss on the new rig running at about an S5? :) :)

I still say this is the right radio from me all things considered. Especially now that I'm getting a better hang of some of the UI.

A few days ago I did something that all of a sudden caused the SWR only on channel 40 band D to go above 2:1 where all band D channels lower than that were still at about 1.2:1. It was so high that it was triggering the SWR protection. Huh?

I have a MFJ Versa Tuner II MFJ-941E so I was able to reduce it on channel 40 but then it was awful everywhere else. Turns out that somehow I replaced band D's channel 40's 27.4050 with 26.100 or something similar. So channel 39 was 27.3950 and channel 40 was 26.100 on band D. Still not quite sure what I did but I did a reset and it replaced channel 40 on band D with 27.4050 and the SWR made sense again.

I never had this problem on my old Royce 23 channel rig back in the day. :)
LOL I definitely resemble that remark!!! Made a local contact with a driver a few nights ago, and noticed my echo was on, I thought I turned it off, but what I did was completely changed bands. I couldn’t understand why he wasn’t coming back to me. Lol.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TimmyTheTorch
I received the Zetagi MB+5 mic and adapter plug today for my 5555NII. I changed the mic setting from electret to dynamic and set about seeing how it worked. I am using the Anytone to drive a KL503HD with the radio's output only being set to about 20 watts PEP or less. This gives me about 200 watts-ish out of the amp.

So far I have not hit the right combination of mic gain in the radio's menu combined with the gain knob on the mic itself.

I started out with the radio's gain at 36 and the mic at 7. Way too much. So I turned it down to 30 and 7, still no. When I got to 29 and 6 I at least had a DX contact say that they could definitely hear my signal but could not make out what I was saying, it was too distorted. I ended up going as low as 25 and 6 and I at least had a few people reply correctly to my CQ but I could not carry on a QSO with them due to the conditions. So inconclusive. Hopefully I can find the magic spot in this combo of mic/radio/amp.

I was unable to contact anyone at all without the amp running. There are usually a few locals yapping away on 37 lower in the morning so I'll see if I can get an audio check from one of them tomorrow morning.

It was funny that as soon as I put the stock Anytone mic back on and returned the radio's mic gain to 36, I had a whole mess of folks replying to my CQ DX.
Get a second radio with no antenna and headphones to listen to your transmit audio. You will be able to dial it in, in about 20 seconds. If that mic doesn't work with that radio, you will find that out too. I have one of those Zetagi mics too, but it is hard to beat the stock electret mics on these new radios.

I agree with post #488 setting up your audio.

Now the zetagi, many here like that microphone and give it lots of flowers so hopefully you can dial it in. I own one too and just never could get the audio to sound where I liked it.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I have one of those Zetagi mics too, but it is hard to beat the stock electret mics on these new radios.

I agree with that because I went down that rabbit hole chasing a better mic for the latest Lincoln 2 V3. Have tried various mics on a recently purchased Anytone 6666, and the stock mic sounds better than any of them.

Last edited:
Im running a old Yaesu YM 33 non amped dynamic mic along with an UR6QW 8 band analog equilizer on mine, and reports tell me it is better than the stock mic, but not by huge amount. After reading various complaints in this post about this radio I'm gonna say that by far, it's light years better than any export/10m radio Ive owned, and ESPECIALLY in its price range!. There's no such thing as a perfect radio, but c'mon man, for $300 ( Canadian dollars) shipped to my door, wow! What a deal. Rock solid freq stability, good sound, pretty decent output power, built in adjustable 5 stage dsp filtering and much, much more. For $300??? Good God, this thing runs circles around my other export/10m rigs.
And hissy receivers? Well, all these modern export radios seem to suffer that issue. Try a Stryker v1 955. Man that thing was terrible for hiss, and loud signals would overpower the front end and start sounding garbly on ssb. Reminded me of my old Dak X.
Anyway just my mileage, yours might vary
999,BC,Canada

Last edited:
After reading various complaints in this post about this radio I'm gonna say that by far, it's light years better than any export/10m radio Ive owned, and ESPECIALLY in its price range!. There's no such thing as a perfect radio, but c'mon man, for $300 ( Canadian dollars) shipped to my door, wow! What a deal. Rock solid freq stability, good sound, pretty decent output power, built in adjustable 5 stage dsp filtering and much, much more. For $300??? Good God, this thing runs circles around my other export/10m rigs.
And hissy receivers? Well, all these modern export radios seem to suffer that issue. Try a Stryker v1 955. Man that thing was terrible for hiss, and loud signals would overpower the front end and start sounding garbly on ssb. Reminded me of my old Dak X.
Anyway just my mileage, yours might vary
999,BC,Canada
Preach it man! You said it best.

Reactions: Pez and SteveSteve
Moro no sul do Brasil e comprei o Anytone 5555n2.
Recepção muito ruidosa, tenho S7 com antena silenciosa delta loop, enquanto demais rádios teriam S1 e S2.
Alguma solução?
Qual número no menu oculto para ajuste de SSB?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated