• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Back to studying for my Ham License

357magnum

Feb 25, 2014
Coventry RI
I use to find solace chatting on SSB , well that ship sailed yesterday ! I was reloading some ammo and had my radio on in the shack listening to DX on 38 LSB . It was mostly Georgia , and N & S Carolina . I made a few contacts and went back to my ammo , while listening I hear an Op " Wolverine " who said he "was " located in Alaska in the Bering Straights , looking @ Moscow . He had a thick Southern Accent ! I chuckled and went back to work . An op from the other end of my state was trying to get him . I told the op " Doesn't that thick accent give him away ? He ignored me . He finally made contact , I couldn't leave this alone ! I told him if he's in Ak , I'm in Ca and have a big bridge to sell you . He then after a few:censored::censored: said that I was a ham Op on 11 m and to get off his channel . I politely told him , Be careful Santa Clause can see/hear you in your mothers basement , shut off the radio and decided if I'm going to be accused of being a Ham Op , I better get back to studying . Sorry for the long post but I had to explain it . :LOL: 73 God Bless , Leo

Hey 357. Get that ticket and keep us in the loop. I was thinking about getting mine as well. I bought the books last year and have taken tons of practice exams on hamtest
Just havent pulled the trigger as of yet. There are only a few people on cb in my area. I was listening to them moan and complain about each other. No fun at all.

Was about to go for my ham license,but my bosss/ leader/wife said NO.so i am still n 38 lsb or up in those uhh forbidden channels.
What caliber you reloading 357 magum?
I need to reloaad my cleaned prepped cases in 204 ruger,22 hornet,22-250 n 45 colt.just slackin i guess

Rwb , most of my time now is spent on 38 and 357 mag , I can do 45 acp , 303 , 8mm and I'm waiting arrival of my 380 acp dies so I can keep my wife's new Sig P-238 laser sight mouse gun fueled .:LOL: How do you like that 204 Ruger ? I need a small cal rifle .

Reactions: Rwb
I heard a guy in Oklahoma (606) strong, loud and ongoing on 38 LSB yesterday. I couldn't reach him. I did have a decent conversation to SE Mississippi (Nov 555) and a couple of short ones to Louisiana.

Like "357magnum" and "Rwb" I'm usually reloading some ammo and listening to skip if it's rolling.

357magnum...Hey Leo...it could have been a legit Southern Accent up there in Alaska. I know some folks in Anchorage and Homer that are from right here in North Carolina near me. Their accent sounds about like mine LOL. (y) I don't think they are on-the-air though and not on the Bering Straits. One of them might be as he is in MARSOC.

Reactions: Rwb and 357magnum
Ralph , I thought the same but heard him earlier in a 3 way Qso w/ his friends in NC . I've only talked w' Ak 3x's and his signal told me a lot and audio ? lol Besides he sounded just like you !:ROFLMAO: But you never know but after all my years doing this .... I'm thinking not .

Reactions: Rwb
I had a cber get bent all out of shape when I finished my QSO I gave out my call letters out of habit. He told me to get off of the band. I told him I have been cber for over 50 years and just upgraded to more expensive equipment. I told him I was talking to him on my 30 year old Cobra 148 so chill out. He told me it was illegal for a ham bander to talk on 11 meters. I said you are woefully misinformed, My radio is pure stock and unmodified.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.