• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Back to studying for my Ham License

Wow. I can’t play well enough to have anything like that, I’m a beginner at best. I bet it sounded good though.
I played pretty well back then. I played by ear. I could hear a tune then sit down and play it. I heard Inna gadda divita(Iron Butterfly) and went home and played it in its entirety. I was kind of a different person back then, driven for perfection in any thing I did. Hmmm, kinda like now too i guess.
I blew my son's mind one day. He had just gotten a new cd of this artist he admired.
He had his guitar and amp in the living room turned on. I walked over and made the motion to give it to me. I paused the music and told him what I was going to do, Yeah DAD sure you are! I restarted the music listened for two minutes stopped it a played it note for note. He was speechless. He knew I played but had no Idea at what level.
The artist was Steve Vai. It was not unusual to find good guitarist in Austin Texas.
My son never looked at me the same after that. He kept bugging me for lessons.

That’s pretty amazing, that’s a gift for sure. I wish I could do that, I’d settle for being half that good. I have a few guitars and stuff but it’s mostly for collecting dust these days. That’s kinda what my radios do, collect dust.

That’s pretty amazing, that’s a gift for sure. I wish I could do that, I’d settle for being half that good. I have a few guitars and stuff but it’s mostly for collecting dust these days. That’s kinda what my radios do, collect dust.
While it was really cool to be able to do that but it had it's draw backs too. For a long while I got invitations to parties from people that I knew and liked only to walk in the door and see a guitar and amp on a make shift stage. I would play a couple of tunes and set it down and go join the party, most were happy with that. One asked me,"What are you doing?" I am going to enjoy the party, the asshat told me, "You are the entertainment not a guest!" When I asked for payment in cash in advance They gave me a stunned look. Then they asked me to leave. The wheel of karma will run over their dogma.
I quit going to parties after that unless I made it clear I WAS NOT THE ENTERTAINMENT.

I played guitar for years , not too much I can't do or at least tried but I'm not proficient at any of them . I was the best @ motor building and Drag Racing but that $hip $ailed in the mid 80's . I got tired of being broke all the time .:LOL:

Reactions: Rwb
I played guitar for years , not too much I can't do or at least tried but I'm not proficient at any of them . I was the best @ motor building and Drag Racing but that $hip $ailed in the mid 80's . I got tired of being broke all the time .:LOL:

Been there and done that and you’re right, other things needed that money more than a car. Fond memories though.

I did that too, lost money on several engine builds. Engine were perfect and properly tuned. I was one of the few who would tune HILLBOURN fuel injection systems. Man I still shudder every time I see eight intakes sticking out of the hood.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.