• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Back to studying for my Ham License

Nothing "wrong" . In the case of staying tech, just very little HF. As for staying general there is more room. And if you ever want to pay back VE+ extra.

That's about it unless you travel. Most countries recognize the FCC "extra" as a full license and will reciprocate.

Y’all gonna keep on and I’m gonna start studying it for it. I gotta ask, what’s wrong with just staying at tech or general class? Just curious, not lighting a fire.
I'll confuse you with this algorithm.
Technician, you get a bicycle with no seat or handle bars.
General, you get the seat.
Extra, you get the handle bars and the tires are aired up.
Now you can ride your bike anyplace you want.;)

Reactions: 357magnum
B0E68A5F-13A6-45F3-9F97-F54BD4E4EF44.gif

Reactions: Tallman
I’m 70 and got my license about a year and a half ago. One of those bucket list things. At my age, I don’t have time to work into things so I studied and went from nothing to extra in one testing day. I’ve been a CBer since I was 16 years old. That’s important to know because it ties into your question.

I find nothing wrong with obtaining only the level of license you want. However, I strongly suggest that the majority of Techs wished they had gone for a General. We have a lot of CBers and Hams here in Central Florida. Most of the Techs don’t go further simply because they are afraid it is too hard to get a General. It must be true – all those who failed after taking a hundred practice exams said so.

The Techs find a great many people to help them “dial in” those 2m frequencies and repeaters. Why, before you know it you too can accumulate more base and mobile radios and antennas than any General or Extra class dreamed of. Before you know it, your wife will tell you that you can’t take the General because you’ve already spent more money than a General would with only one “big” radio.

I will say that CB in my area is like real CB has always been – polite and conversational. It is not that Hollywood “good buddy” ratchet-jaw rude crap of the 70’s. Now let’s go to “Big Boy” CB. That’s what 2m is around here – just an extension of CB for the most rude and foul-mouthed radio people you could imagine.

Study for the level of license you want. Don’t just take practice tests. Memorizing answers might get you a passing score but it won’t give you knowledge. You hear people complain about group chats won’t let them join in. You hear that General and Extra class are a bunch of snobs. Both of these are wrong. You can join in – if you can discuss the subject. Asking a really basic question that a General should know will get a curt response worthy of someone who took practice tests but did not learn anything.

Study and learn. Yes it is time consuming and sometimes hard. Most things worthwhile usually are. Studying will make you be more than a Tech and that is a worthwhile difference than simply having more than a Tech license.

Tall , My old partner still has one . He brought it back attached to the motor , ( Big Olds ) out of an Altered from Cali when he got out of the service in the late 60's ( lol ) . Shutter ? How about when you had to pop the little balls out & give it a little " Squirt " to fire it up ? A back fire was never your friend !:ROFLMAO: Btw , Nice Pic !(y)
Please DO NOT send it to me! The picture was from the Hillbourn web site. I'll also point out that that photo is of an electronic system. You have to know injection to spot it.

That is true but I don’t have time to use the ones I have access to now. I will consider it though, if nothing else to just give back to the hobby in ways like Kopcicle mentioned earlier.

Tall , You couldn't pry that thing away from him anyway . " Someday " :LOL: He plans on putting it in a Nostalgia car ( He's 70 now ) Let's put it this way he bought a 55' 6cyl Sedan Delivery for $75 and I drove it home ( we put a 327 in it ) that was around 1973 . It's in the paint booth now !:ROFLMAO: I looked @ your pic fast the first time , for me the electronic injection wasn't hard to spot after another look .;) 73 , God Bless , Leo

Reactions: Tallman
Tall , You couldn't pry that thing away from him anyway . " Someday " :LOL: He plans on putting it in a Nostalgia car ( He's 70 now ) Let's put it this way he bought a 55' 6cyl Sedan Delivery for $75 and I drove it home ( we put a 327 in it ) that was around 1973 . It's in the paint booth now !:ROFLMAO: I looked @ your pic fast the first time , for me the electronic injection wasn't hard to spot after another look .;) 73 , God Bless , Leo
What tipped you off?

Tall I'm no expert on these setups by no means but the two black rails between the stacks just looked different to me , then again I could be wrong it's been over 35 years since I've been close to one .:)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.