• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB tool needed

dxing.bruce

Apr 15, 2012
Hey: guys.

I'm trying to get to the on/off switch in my Uniden PC122xl
to clean it with contact cleaner but can't get to it.

I have to remove the mic jack nut in order
to separate the pc board from the front of the radio.
There are screws on the board too but that's not a problem.

Anyone ever seen a tool to remove the jack nut that holds
the 4 pin mic jack in place ?

I have removed a few in the past by tapping with a nail or small
screwdriver & hammer but if you slip you scratch the radios face.

Is there a needle nose plier type tool that's made for this job ?

I figure the manufacturer had to use one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks.

73's

Bruce.

Toronto. Canada.

I assume you are talking about the control retaining nut that has two notches in it? I just use a pair of needle nose pliers usually. Years ago I ground down a deep socket to fit the grooves in the nut and it worked well but that has long since disappeared. You might be able to use a pair of retaining ring pliers but you may break the tips depending how tight the nut is. They do make tools to remove them but they are hard to find and are basically a socket with two tabs on it.

Sometimes you have to heat the nut with your soldering iron because the factory uses glue on that nut. I just put my soldering irons tip in the slots for a bit to soften the glue before removing the nut.

Reactions: dxing.bruce
A pair of Hemostats would work, the "nose" of the tools' jaw are narrow enough to work the grooves of the nut.

Also - not often do people have one, but a watch repair tool - the ones that can remove the back of the "screw on case" to get at the battery can work here too.

:+> Andy <+:

I assume you are talking about the control retaining nut that has two notches in it? I just use a pair of needle nose pliers usually. Years ago I ground down a deep socket to fit the grooves in the nut and it worked well but that has long since disappeared. You might be able to use a pair of retaining ring pliers but you may break the tips depending how tight the nut is. They do make tools to remove them but they are hard to find and are basically a socket with two tabs on it.

Yes it's the nut with ( 4 ) notches in it. I tried need nose plier but the are to thick to fit in the notches. I will grind down an old socket like you mentioned, good idea. Thanks.

And if it was off a radio that used a lot of different mics, it may also be cross-threaded - meaning stripped - I've had those too...

For that - it's more drastic, you unsolder EVERYTHING off the pins of that jack connector - and you unscrew from the back - the internal side, holding the nut in place and pulling from the backside - slowly turn it out - and as said - cross threaded ones are the most difficult.

dxing.bruce,
Just an off the wall thought-Would it be easier to remove the volume pot/power switch?

73's
David

Bought ours from this guy on Ebay years ago:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/cb_repairman/m.html?ssPageName=STRK:MEFSXS:MESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654

He still has stuff for sale, but he no longer lists this tool.

Back in the dark ages, Ford used a nut like this to secure the factory car-radio antenna to the fender. The notches were wider than the CB mike-socket nut, and we filed it down to fit. But the quality of the metal was not sufficient, and the teeth would bend and break before too long. When NAPA discontinued that tool, I bought all I could find in the area. Eventually that batch all broke the teeth and got ditched.

No idea where I would find the NAPA stock number for that one.

I have seen that tool on eBay but forget what it is called. I think it is a spanner socket. maybe it was already mentioned. They would be handy for removing that kind of nut on a hand held radio. I too just use needle nose pliers.
I would want to be VERY careful using them on a nut that is on the face of a radio. Easy for them to slip out of the slots and scratch the face plate which would be a real bummer!

You can go to a hardware store or a hobby shop and they usually have a K&S tubing display. There will be a size in one foot lengths (inexpensive too) that will fit in brass. You could file or a Dremel to cut or grind the slots.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?