• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Covid Gardening

If your soil is typical Gumbo Mud you will need to add soil amendments to help loosen it up, it definitely is not soil for planting potatoes. We would bust the soil up any way possible and add truck loads of mulch and sand. Sometimes we would add peat moss and that helped keep the soil loose.
It is too late to do this now but a large amount manure tilled in to the soil makes it real nice for next year.

If your soil is typical Gumbo Mud you will need to add soil amendments to help loosen it up, it definitely is not soil for planting potatoes. We would bust the soil up any way possible and add truck loads of mulch and sand. Sometimes we would add peat moss and that helped keep the soil loose.
It is too late to do this now but a large amount manure tilled in to the soil makes it real nice for next year.

Coulda sworn I’d done that. Just an unorthodox (space conscious) method.

Naw. What’s really needed is a combo mulch & fertilizer mix. This will be true closed-loop recycling.

A Morbark Drum Shredder. All that’s necessary.

Add politicians and parasites with the wood & brush for their highest, best use. Transform the coastal regions. Make the deserts bloom. The rocky places flower.

Become a community garden activist today!!

Tall,

Believe you are very right. Was thinking same thing last night/ this morning. Over in Lousiana I would add river sand and mulch. Similar clay mud, but this is densely packed. Just went out to garden, have loose top 3 inches then hard base. Hard base, did I say hard base. Yes, I believe I did say "Hard". Not sure if any more till'n will get better results. But will try.

We used to till in lime to help the ph. This ground grows corn and cotton well. That's all they grow. Might head to town for bag of lime and some cheap topsoil.

Reactions: 357magnum
Add politicians and parasites with the wood & brush for their highest, best use. Transform the coastal regions. Make the deserts bloom. The rocky places flower.

Become a community garden activist today!!

Kin git some dem illegals till'n, but might be jist tad bit on greasy side.

Tall,

Believe you are very right. Was thinking same thing last night/ this morning. Over in Lousiana I would add river sand and mulch. Similar clay mud, but this is densely packed. Just went out to garden, have loose top 3 inches then hard base. Hard base, did I say hard base. Yes, I believe I did say "Hard". Not sure if any more till'n will get better results. But will try.

We used to till in lime to help the ph. This ground grows corn and cotton well. That's all they grow. Might head to town for bag of lime and some cheap topsoil.
How about a dozer with a root plow on the back?

A5092BB5-E5BC-4FBD-94A8-7E0D1B794C52.jpeg

No arguin’ with Dick Kleberg.

That ranch had a billion-dollar year income back when that was real money.

Tillth here, @#&%!!......#$%$#"....***&^%$
Hard ground, %^&*$', y UK b CD d. Beer break.

This will take time, maybe 4" deep now, maybe. Need to till in some mulch. $10 cuyd :eek: what? For mulch. May get 5 cuyds. Bag of fertilizer. May end up using maddox.

Time for more thinking juice. Cold beer.

Red , work those hammers on Maddox ! ;) I'm lucky my soil is awesome , it was a hole , previous owners back filled it w/ horse crap , took a while but I got it ! Don't get me wrong I have those " Taters " that surface yearly but nothing what you deal with . Like I think I mention neighbor has so many rabbits I just load it up w/ his rotted manure . Did you ever think of maybe starting a Raised Bed ? Must plenty of critters your way , build one , fill it & My favorite saying " Let it set a while " & go from there . I can't use my chicken crap as I use pine bedding for them , that doesn't work well for me .:LOL:

Red , work those hammers on Maddox ! ;) I'm lucky my soil is awesome , it was a hole , previous owners back filled it w/ horse crap , took a while but I got it ! Don't get me wrong I have those " Taters " that surface yearly but nothing what you deal with . Like I think I mention neighbor has so many rabbits I just load it up w/ his rotted manure . Did you ever think of maybe starting a Raised Bed ? Must plenty of critters your way , build one , fill it & My favorite saying " Let it set a while " & go from there . I can't use my chicken crap as I use pine bedding for them , that doesn't work well for me .:LOL:
Everything planted now is in large feed containers and 5 gal bucket. Have time to bust this up. Need to add mulch. Have alot of seed to start yet. Finding good soil down here is just impossible. There is a place up road, one of those eco green freek places, $29 a cubic yard.:eek: $10 cubic yard for mulch.:LOL:

Everything planted now is in large feed containers and 5 gal bucket. Have time to bust this up. Need to add mulch. Have alot of seed to start yet. Finding good soil down here is just impossible. There is a place up road, one of those eco green freek places, $29 a cubic yard.:eek: $10 cubic yard for mulch.:LOL:
No dozer? How about a regular tractor with a single plow or a disc harrow? You will need power equipment to bust up that Gumbo clay.

No dozer? How about a regular tractor with a single plow or a disc harrow? You will need power equipment to bust up that Gumbo clay.
Have two tractors here. Have a single plow. But pins on plow are large and welded on. Only fits large tractor which has a dry rot problem with tire and is a PIA to get started. Old David Brown is down. Have three tires and rims out back off a case backhoe that will mount up. PTO is POS and busted.

Small tractor is a loaner, traded welding for use. But get it over here and the water pump is shot. Can't win.

Trying to find mulch I can till in. The Eco Green freeks up the road want too much for anything. Saw bobcat with an auger on it across the field, about mile and half away.

Things do grow in this garden but getting any deeper w/o power is futile.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.