• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRE-8900 And Beyond:Ongoing Discussions

CRE-8900 phantom channel

I reposted this from the "What's The Point" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'Yeshua
It might be the CRE-8900 I own but I hear some from 27.025 am on 29.555 am right now. Can anybody else confirm this? Just asking.
Okay. I did some examination on this and the culprit is my 8900. I have 29.555 am programmed in on channel 54 on D band(11 meter band in expanded mode)When I go down one channel to 29.545 am and then push the 10Khz switch to go back up to 29.555 am I no longer hear 27.025 am in this frequency.
:blink:
A lot of times the the channel display doesn't line up with the freq display after fiddling with the clarifier. I have to go to A band(25.615/ch1) and rotate the clarifier knob counter-clockwise to get the channel and freq display to show the same thing. I'm thinking that what controls the freqs in the expanded mode gets goofy and doesn't show the right channel and freq some of the time. I haven't tested it in the 10 meter mode for errors yet.

Last edited:
Okay. Did 4 resets to get this thing to respond. The good thing is I didn't lose my programming.
Listening to some real Hams on 28.415 USB. I guess they're real cause they're using call signs

Last edited:
MFJ-945E? Had one for years. Works well without any issues. What's the problem?

The guys on EHam seem equally divided on this particular tuner. I'm researching what which tuner I want. I don't want to spend too much for one right now. The Palamar will have to be a later investment

All MFJ tuners are hit-and-miss. Depends on what day they were made; (don't buy a tuner made on a Monday). Most are over-rated on power handling. Their power ratings are all marginal, so don't run their "300W" tuners at 300W, they will arc. They are all rated for lower duty cycle SSB, so don't try to run their smaller tuners (300W) tuners at 100W of AM, because you will arc them.

Other than that, they are fine.

All MFJ tuners are hit-and-miss. Depends on what day they were made; (don't buy a tuner made on a Monday). Most are over-rated on power handling. Their power ratings are all marginal, so don't run their "300W" tuners at 300W, they will arc. They are all rated for lower duty cycle SSB, so don't try to run their smaller tuners (300W) tuners at 100W of AM, because you will arc them.

Other than that, they are fine.

I read the manual for the MFJ tuners and they have instructions for what to do if it archs. I don't have a ham ticket so I stay on 11 meters and don't run power. I could always go with the Maco 91

I could always go with the Maco 91
That Maco 91 is a typical CB matchbox. Not enough range.

These two are quite decent small tuners:

Para+Dynamics+PDC5.jpg

and
925110.jpg

And they both have bypass switches (important). I own both and use them for mobile use.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?