• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRE 8900 SSB - don't know if anyone had posted this yet

If M42Duster had an issue with his Optima I am sure Dave at Yeticom offered to take care of it. To be bashing a company that makes a great product is just not nice. I do NOT work for Yeticom or sell their radios I am a customer like the rest of you guys, why M42 Duster would bash Yeticom just does not make sense to me. My MKII had that same problem all you have to do is turn it off and back on the display works fine again, why did M42Duster make a big deal out of that?? Mine did it if I left it on for like a day or longer, not sure about you guys but I turn my radio off at night, it's not a Galaxy that needs to be on all the time to work right. One night I did leave my Optima on by accident, went to work the next day and didn't get in front of the radio until dinner time and the display was weird looking. I turned it off, turned it back on right away and used it the rest of the night with no issues. I don't feel that is a reason to talk bad about anything electronic.

You sure pissed and moaned with your Sparky tuned radio. Want me to post a link to your tearful thread?

I ain't bashing. Just letting people know the consequences of sending an imported rig back to Hong Kong for service. Big big bucks.

FYI and others, Dave will not fix the display under warranty. It's been publicly stated from the company that it's an unstable PLL. When my display started blinking (separate issue), Dave contacted me to send it back to Hong Kong. USPS rates over $60. UPS, which is how he wanted me to send it, was $96.

I can't help it if your a "fanboy" and have easily hurt feelings.

I believe other potential buyers appreciate my thread. Moral of the story... Don't buy an MKII and wait for bugs to appear/disappear on the MKIII before taking the plunge.

Last edited:
those problems with the Optima MKII have been addressed and the result is the MKIII. I might buy an Optima MKIII now but I've already made my decision to get the CRE-8900. I support the first amendment and the one that follows right after that.

If M42Duster had an issue with his Optima I am sure Dave at Yeticom offered to take care of it. To be bashing a company that makes a great product is just not nice. I do NOT work for Yeticom or sell their radios I am a customer like the rest of you guys, why M42 Duster would bash Yeticom just does not make sense to me. My MKII had that same problem all you have to do is turn it off and back on the display works fine again, why did M42Duster make a big deal out of that?? Mine did it if I left it on for like a day or longer, not sure about you guys but I turn my radio off at night, it's not a Galaxy that needs to be on all the time to work right. One night I did leave my Optima on by accident, went to work the next day and didn't get in front of the radio until dinner time and the display was weird looking. I turned it off, turned it back on right away and used it the rest of the night with no issues. I don't feel that is a reason to talk bad about anything electronic.

You seem to shit talk Galaxy radios :D

Thanks, I've done my homework and it all points to the Optima for me and my criteria.

Thanks

Sometimes, you can peak into an ambulance, fire truck or cruiser and get some damn good mounting ideas. I'm retired EMS and got some good ideas when the radio service guy would install radios in our new vehicles.

I had a friend that owned an HVAC company and had a large sheet metal break. I'd show him a pic and he'd come pretty close to copying it.

Also, if you have an ARES commando car in your area, he'll definitely have the expertise to mount it for you.
photobucket-4545-1322423480639.jpg

http://www.hamsexy.com/cms/

Last edited:
You seem to shit talk Galaxy radios :D

IMD 262 I have had 4 Galaxy radios in the last year or so, on AM they are great but for SSB it seems they just do not stay on frequency unless you left it on all day. The ones I had had to have the clairfier unlocked just to be able to use it, so for me the Galaxy line is not a good match. I know some people just rave about them but for the using it on SSB 99% of the time the 949 959 and 979 just don't cut it

I would look at the Stryker SR-955HP also. One reason it has a 3 year warranty with US based support.

just read cbradiomagazine's review on the Stryker 955 defiantly a contender. SSB operation and the audio quality are two big attributes. teal would be a nice lighting color. the mic looks like the R/S mic I bought for my TRC-428. :pop:

what would be nice is if one of these manufactors would make a radio with a detachable face to address the needs of mounting radios in the newer vehicles. i have a nice yaesu 7900 2 meter radio that i have the main body of the radio mounted under the seat and the control head mounted on a nice air condition mount. there are a couple other amature radio manufactors that make HF. rigs that way but priced out of most CBers price range for freeband and 11 meter operation. it would be sweet to have RCI,Magnum,Galaxy or Stryker make a full featured SSB like that for 11 meters.

what would be nice is if one of these manufactors would make a radio with a detachable face to address the needs of mounting radios in the newer vehicles. i have a nice yaesu 7900 2 meter radio that i have the main body of the radio mounted under the seat and the control head mounted on a nice air condition mount. there are a couple other amature radio manufactors that make HF. rigs that way but priced out of most CBers price range for freeband and 11 meter operation. it would be sweet to have RCI,Magnum,Galaxy or Stryker make a full featured SSB like that for 11 meters.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.