• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRE 8900 SSB - don't know if anyone had posted this yet

I'm going through the process of elimination as to why mine is doing what it's doing. That's why I've ordered a Road Devil mic and six pin plug. If this fixes the problem then okay and I have the RD that I've been wanting to try out. Then I'll send in the stock mic and get it fixed. The Mobile Radio Store sells replacement mics for the 8900 for around $43. I do like the ASQ and the channel buttons on the stock mic though. Thinking about changing the cord on it and glueing some metal washers inside to give it heft. The CRE mic occupies a little space and uses that little hole in the upper right quadrant of the mic's face. The rest of the holes I think are just for resonance. The faceplate decal,I'll take your solution and superglue it in place.
Here's an additional thought. Find out how the CRE's channel change and ASQ button works and incorporate that into the Road Devil.

Last edited:
The 6 pin is hot. I've wondered about stepping it down to 10volts to power the mic instead messing with a 9 volt battery. It would have to be done in the mic so you could still use the stock mic as well.

The 6 pin is hot. I've wondered about stepping it down to 10volts to power the mic instead messing with a 9 volt battery. It would have to be done in the mic so you could still use the stock mic as well.

Ok !
Amazon sells 1 amp regulated power supply kits. If you could mount one in the radio and shield/filter it and solder the out put to the 6 pin then you can have your cake and eat it too
P.S.Buy the optional to220 heatsink at Radio Shack. I used to hand build them. I got two of them powering my temp control computer for my stereo amps

Last edited:
Here it is. If you run the radio on a regulated power supply then all you need is a few diodes to step down the voltage. Each diode steps the voltage down .6 volts. You might have to run a ground wire as well to cut down on a chance noise entering (ground loop)the audio stream.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
UnderTaker, see if you can find an Anytone 5555 somewhere. Great radio for 200 dollars, I've been running one in my mobile for a month now and love it. Also there is a new kid on the block MaxLog M-8800. Not sure what they are selling for but another great working radio for not a lot of money

Attachments

• anytone5555.png
    anytone5555.png
    148.9 KB · Views: 47
  • br9200 dark pic.jpg
    br9200 dark pic.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 10
Here it is. If you run the radio on a regulated power supply then all you need is a few diodes to step down the voltage. Each diode steps the voltage down .6 volts. You might have to run a ground wire as well to cut down on a chance noise entering (ground loop)the audio stream.

Now, can the circuit supplying the voltage to pin 6 handle the load...

Love to modify, hate to fix!

Now, can the circuit supplying the voltage to pin 6 handle the load...

Love to modify, hate to fix!

I was thinking about tapping in at where power comes on the radio. Also a small capacitor bank where the battery currently resides(ala' K40). That's as far as I know. The smart ones on this forum may pitch in with their ideas. Also,I'm wondering if the power and ground leads from the mic jack to the tap in should be shielded coax.
Microphone Mobile Astatic 6 Wire Cord
Better: https://www.gijoesradioelectronics.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1236

Last edited:
I was thinking about tapping in at where power comes on the radio. Also a small capacitor bank where the battery currently resides(ala' K40). That's as far as I know. The smart ones on this forum may pitch in with their ideas. Also,I'm wondering if the power and ground leads from the mic jack to the tap in should be shielded coax.
Microphone Mobile Astatic 6 Wire Cord
Better: https://www.gijoesradioelectronics.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1236

Got an idea for you

First question, is pin 6 12v?
If so....

Get a LM7808 voltage regulator (cheap as chips) and mount it inside the road devel mic. This will step 12v down to 8v which the mic amp circuit will run on. Assuming that the supply from pin 6 has enough current carrying capacity to run the mic. I have done this on several different mics, the current mic being a kenwood mc80 desk mic. Give it a go and at worst just connect a jumper from pin 6 to bat+ to give you the current capacity

Got an idea for you

First question, is pin 6 12v?
If so....

Get a LM7808 voltage regulator (cheap as chips) and mount it inside the road devel mic. This will step 12v down to 8v which the mic amp circuit will run on. Assuming that the supply from pin 6 has enough current carrying capacity to run the mic. I have done this on several different mics, the current mic being a kenwood mc80 desk mic. Give it a go and at worst just connect a jumper from pin 6 to bat+ to give you the current capacity

Haven't had time yet to figure the 8900 pinout yet. Sounds like a great idea.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 5

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.