• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Damn boys, we’re famous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For several years I used a bone stock Midland 13-898B which was a 23 channel SSB radio. Imade hundreds of DX contacts with it running strictly stock power and a 5/8 groundplane. Then later came the Wilson Shooting Star and stock power. Eventually I got a 40 channel SSB radio and added extra frequencies and built a little amp using a 6KD6 tube and it was like shooting fish in a barrel and things got even easier. I just laugh at people that think they need big power to work DX. My barefoot radios made contacts all over Europe, North and South America as well as into Africa and 100 watts into Australia and New Zealand all on 11m.
6KD6=EL519 (near enough)
https://pa0fri.home.xs4all.nl/Lineairs/Frinear150/fri150eng.htm
(y)(y)

I could email a file of myself talking on the radio to my buddy in Seattle and have him play it back over the radio but that doesn't mean my junk talked that far.

I also will add to this and say it doesn’t mean the radio hearing it actually heard all the way to NC or what the owner thought it heard.

My Seattle friend could claim to tune a receiver to hear better than anyone else and use that email recording to “backup” his claims. But of course it’d be totally bogus and BS, wouldn’t it?

My offer stands. I’ll buy either radio simply because I want to see it with my own eyes. I want to see the proof myself, I’m not easily brainwashed into believing someone or something. And if either radio lives up to the hype, I’ll openly shill for Sherman free of charge, I’ll even start a website and advertise for him for free.

I like it here and have no desire to leave but I’ll shill for him here harder than you do, so much I’ll get a perma-ban from it. What more do I need to offer?

Reactions: Rwb
I also will add to this and say it doesn’t mean the radio hearing it actually heard all the way to NC or what the owner thought it heard.

My Seattle friend could claim to tune a receiver to hear better than anyone else and use that email recording to “backup” his claims. But of course it’d be totally bogus and BS, wouldn’t it?

My offer stands. I’ll buy either radio simply because I want to see it with my own eyes. I want to see the proof myself, I’m not easily brainwashed into believing someone or something. And if either radio lives up to the hype, I’ll openly shill for Sherman free of charge, I’ll even start a website and advertise for him for free.

I like it here and have no desire to leave but I’ll shill for him here harder than you do, so much I’ll get a perma-ban from it. What more do I need to offer?
yaay we will run you to replace trump in 2024

Totally not worth it.

This is what we have...
"S9" is nonsense because that's the only time these meters even read properly, and therefore are pointless. So you have a meter that is right only at one point in the scale but that's a "calibrated meter"... riiiiiiiight.
Ignore all the other points on the scale! I gots my S9!

The MOSFET "detonation" and impending death from radio fire is to me like screaming fire in a movie theater. It's hyperbole. So you get a little bit of magic smoke. Remember that CB radios don't have foldbacks like most real amateur gear so they are a lot easier to pop from a transient event. I think the President McKinley has a foldback? Might be the only one. IIRC it's part of it's assisted antenna tuning which is a really nice feature.

The "Max Mod" can be disproved with basic arithmetic. Need not even take it out of the package. In these TIP36 based radios it's at best a lateral move. It won't help nor hurt. It's just wasted money and a false sense of security.

The .001uV receiver "tune" to produce 10 or 12dB SINAD is a fallacy because .. well... jesus christ at the bandwidth of an HF receiver like these faux amateur radios would be a breakthrough. Like, EPIC. But let's not talk about where the thermal noise floor is at this frequency/bandwidth and it's not below .001uV.
And that's why none of this passes the smell test.

That probably sums it up.

As for meters my galaxy 99v dont work.hasnt in years,but i get lots of how am i hitting you? I say room full of your voice so just fine. If your weak or fading i say so.numbers on meter dont mean doodly shit to me. Just a refrence point

Reactions: kopcicle
Totally not worth it.

This is what we have...
"S9" is nonsense because that's the only time these meters even read properly, and therefore are pointless. So you have a meter that is right only at one point in the scale but that's a "calibrated meter"... riiiiiiiight.
Ignore all the other points on the scale! I gots my S9!

The MOSFET "detonation" and impending death from radio fire is to me like screaming fire in a movie theater. It's hyperbole. So you get a little bit of magic smoke. Remember that CB radios don't have foldbacks like most real amateur gear so they are a lot easier to pop from a transient event. I think the President McKinley has a foldback? Might be the only one. IIRC it's part of it's assisted antenna tuning which is a really nice feature.

The "Max Mod" can be disproved with basic arithmetic. Need not even take it out of the package. In these TIP36 based radios it's at best a lateral move. It won't help nor hurt. It's just wasted money and a false sense of security.

The .001uV receiver "tune" to produce 10 or 12dB SINAD is a fallacy because .. well... jesus christ at the bandwidth of an HF receiver like these faux amateur radios would be a breakthrough. Like, EPIC. But let's not talk about where the thermal noise floor is at this frequency/bandwidth and it's not below .001uV.
And that's why none of this passes the smell test.

That probably sums it up.

Thumbs up x 2.

Ain’t no mosfets blowing up and we all know that, only happening if there’s user error. I didn’t mention the TIP36c thing or the Max Mod, that dead horse I thought I’d save for later.

I been looking at buying a 955, I just don’t really need it. Hard Drive couldn’t possibly screw it up any worse than some of the jockeys around here have ruined radios and I’ve fixed several. At least he has nice equipment compared to what some of the guys around here have. And that would consist on only a power supply and a Dosy meter - these are actually “radio” shops. Even if it’s old, outdated or whatever other argument, least he’s trying to look legit.

Time to back them claims up though. Won’t sell me a radio, do some wide angle camera work and up close too at the same time. Don’t know how, watch Louis Rossmann.

As for meters my galaxy 99v dont work.hasnt in years,but i get lots of how am i hitting you? I say room full of your voice so just fine. If your weak or fading i say so.numbers on meter dont mean doodly shit to me. Just a refrence point

My habit of giving out quality of audio @ a specific "S" value over my noise seems to go largely unquestioned and occasionally received as much more helpful than 5NN or +10db over S9.

On 11m it's "I can hear you , what's the point?"

Hey I'm gonna send every radio I own to him so it can get douched.
I wonder if the chemical he was spraying is a zero residue and PH neutral.
I could see using a vapor de-greaser but not a water based spray.
I especially enjoyed watching him juggling and dropping the radio.

181208161306-02-opinion-roundup-cartoons-12-9-exlarge-169.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.