• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DEI Transistors

F56ivWj.jpg
Just as I suspected. Quite a difference when you pop the hood on these two 2879's. Not too hard to see absolutely zero effort was made to simulate a 2SC2879. Just look on the shelf for some existing bipolar transistor that could be re-stamped as a counterfeit 2879 and market it. It's not that I hold China responsible for taking advantage of the opportunity our incompetence has offered them. It's that many Chinese companies are very eager to lie and cheat their way into the market place. That creates an unfair advantage that allows them to force companies like ASI out of the marketplace. Preventing us from being able to purchase a real 2879 replacement today.

Reactions: TonyV225
Just as I suspected. Quite a difference when you pop the hood on these two 2879's. Not too hard to see absolutely zero effort was made to simulate a 2SC2879. Just look on the shelf for some existing bipolar transistor that could be re-stamped as a counterfeit 2879 and market it. It's not that I hold China responsible for taking advantage of the opportunity our incompetence has offered them. It's that many Chinese companies are very eager to lie and cheat their way into the market place. That creates an unfair advantage that allows them to force companies like ASI out of the marketplace. Preventing us from being able to purchase a real 2879 replacement today.

I own both a TS Sweet Sixteen with Toshiba transistors and a newer unit with the DEI transistors. Running both at 14 vdc there's about a 150 watt difference in output with the same drive level into a 50 ohm dummy load. DEI's draw less current. Running the collector voltage to 15.5 vdc the difference in output is about the same. Conclusion the DEI's don't have the same gain obviously, but continue to amplify fairly linear.
Didn't see any real RFI as a result of the DEI's nearing saturation. Toshiba's are better but will still get dirty when pushed. You want more head room then buy the Toshibas. The DEI's have their limitations but appear to perform as specified. I've been running a DEI based TS SS for more than a year on a 300 amp supply set at 15vdc. It's my base amp and have had it up to 16 vdc and it still going strong. Guess I got lucky. Funny thing is I just bought a new TS DX1600X and it too handles the increased collector voltage just fine too. Seeing 1400 watts output so I'm happy.

I was actually thinking DEI deserves a lot more bad press. Like as much as they can get for taking the best bipolar transistor number and deceptively placing it on an entirely different and substandard part. Unless quality control is non existent (probably) I wouldn't expect gain to be the trouble. It's the breakdown voltage of the internal junctions and the current handling ability that tells me this ain't no 2SC2879. It's as good as Bofang placing the Icom name on a $39 HT.

Having said that, I admit there is no other part being manufactured today that closely resembles the real 2SC2879. Just don't treat us like an idiots and place a Porsche 928 turbo emblem on a Volkswagen bug while assuring us it's the same thing. If DEI was close to being honest, they would have ripped off the MRF-492 number for use on this part rather than 2SC2879.

I would like to see less opinion and more facts. Just rip the cap off of a bad DEI (should be easy to find) and compare the size of the silicon junction inside the transistor to the Toshiba. Since both parts are rated for 12 volt operation, the only way to handle similar power is to support the same current. That is determined entirely on how wide the internal junction is and how many fine gold wires are installed to carry the current.
NTE has a replacement for the 2sc2879, look up NTE470. Unlike the DEI transistors NTE has a data sheet for their product and they are made in the U.S ( N.J ).

NTE makes only three things:
Money.
A cross-reference book.
And packaging of remarked components.
This has been their business model all along. Buy parts, scrub the original markings and print a new "NTE" number on it.
They are a marketing company. They do not own a factory.

NTE also mean " Never Trust Everything" you read on the specification sheets.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
NTE makes only three things:

Money.

A cross-reference book.

And packaging of remarked components.

This has been their business model all along. Buy parts, scrub the original markings and print a new "NTE" number on it.

They are a marketing company. They do not own a factory.

you are correct, they are just a supplier and I was misinformed about us made products, with that being said all of the parts I have used with NTE logo have been good parts. I mentioned the nte ones to see if anyone has tried them yet. ( fell for the RF parts calling DEI replacements for Toshiba) I just couldn't see spending $104.00 per transistor without some other info than just a data sheet. Thanks for correcting my error. 73's

Last edited:
Read this thread with great interest, always wondered why the same amp or export radio manufacturer still shows the same output figures when they changed over to DEI transistors from Toshiba and still charge the same price for the privilege.
Ive seen some using HG tranisistors now, maybe they are an improvement over the dei.

Last edited:
Just say no to DEI's. If it worth owning then fix it right with the best parts you get and then take care of it. I have some HG's but have not had them long enough or seen enough of a sample size to recommend them to anyone else. Amirtron was using DEI's and a bunch of other Chi-Com parts from questionable sources in their ALS-500 and between transistors and voltage regulators they where popping like Ovile Redenbacher popcorn!!! LOL Jiffy-Pop had nothing on them.

First I am not against Chinese made parts or good but they will sell you whatever you ask for. If dirt cheap is what you want that is what they will give you! Quality control cost's more! They do have nukes, a space program, stealth fighter's, automotive industry and all of our electronics from computers to appliances are made there!

So with the above said some companies and brands do a better job than other's!

Since we can still get good parts you should use them while you can. It will not be long and the supplies will be all dried up just like good SSB CB's and everyone will be crying and talking about the good old days.

If you really want cheap you can get a MP of HG's for less than the price of 1 2SC2879 how much cheaper do you want? Always better to either get a part that the OEM is willing to put their name on or a part that someone else is doing the quality control on for you like RF Parts HG house brand 2SC2879. DO not use cheap ceramic disc caps in place of silver dipped mica or metal clads. DO not use Chinese any name lytics unless you have no choice! If you use generic parts test every single part before you use it because at the price that high power rf bjt's are at it is stupid to blow one over the price of a cap, resistor or diode! Just some advice! If you do not have money to waste only buy from reputable dealers.

Should have listened 25 years ago when the smart people were still saying "buy American". Today if you got rid of every Chinese product you own, your house would get empty quick and nearly everything with a plug or battery would have to go. There are no other choices today since China has been allowed to monopolize just about every market with no quality control or checks in place.

Things like "trade balance" are never even discussed anymore because those in charge have submitted long ago to the fact they will collapse the US economy by allowing the money for everything we purchase to go to China. It's just a matter of time because the path they have us on now is not sustainable and anyone with common sense should figure this out. Since we got addicted to buying everything at 50% of normal costs, the dollar now only has 50% of its value and dropping.

NAILED IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Enterprise312ok

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated