• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT-891 Radio

Tune button won't do anything unless you have an ATAS, I do believe. If you use an interface cable, I believe you must push tune button on the tuner itself. Use the mic method to throw a 10 watt carrier.

Several online video show the 939Y with the 891 and just a Tune button on radio to key it as it goes thru the 8 pin DIN on the 891. You set radio to external and it functions like the FC30. (y)

Last edited:
Tune button won't do anything unless you have an ATAS, I do believe. If you use an interface cable, I believe you must push tune button on the tuner itself. Use the mic method to throw a 10 watt carrier.
That is correct. Just saw the latest post... this is new to me. My LDG takes a cable, and you hit the tune button on the tuner. I use that for a portable setup.

Brett

That is correct. Just saw the latest post... this is new to me. My LDG takes a cable, and you hit the tune button on the tuner. I use that for a portable setup.

Brett

LDG uses the LAMP setting for most of them. Simple trigger. I don't think even the Z11Pro uses the Cat connection.

Working great. Good combo. Set TNR (tuner) button to fast button B. Checked in on NET lastnight. (y) Most bands are showing 1.3 or so with auto tuner.

FF45AF01-1ED1-41C4-B592-957A0B996CD0.jpeg

Reactions: 2RT307
Setting up FAT50 can for field use. Has simple 2x 10ah SLA batteries (under the radio). External pack (not shown) has another 20ah, meter, and optional solar panel input with MC4 connections. Radio will be on slight tilt and ordered a short 3' head unit extension cable. And yes will be operated with lid open for heat dissipation and such.

29CC90C1-2804-490D-ACD4-363CCAA29095.jpeg

You probably already know, but there's a fan speed in the menu. I set mine to contest, and it basically runs anytime the rig is on. Pretty cool setup there, CB590.

Brett

Reactions: CB590
Radio working well with my end fed that's only about 45' long and about 15' off the ground. Got Brazil yesterday and Italy today from NJ. (y)

I did turn on the fan full time. Whisper quiet and it does seem to keep it cooler when in standby all day.

Reactions: 2RT307
I'd rather just slap a CB in than to mess around with that. I have an old Uniden Pro520xl and Wilson 5000 for that.

I am curious though, how does the 891 do with the ATAS on 11?

Brett

I'm thinking just a wee bit better than a Lil Will mag mount. Lol, I really don't know. I haven't talked local with it much. Lots of people rag on the ATAS, but I have made some nice contacts with it. I'm just a casual mobile operator. If I wanted a good system, I'd pick something else. The ATAS does work and it works decently for what it is. I'm able to talk to my friends on 40 meters. That's all I need.

I'm thinking most haters had an insufficient ground. For this antenna to work well, it must have a good solid ground.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated