• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT-891 Radio

I'm thinking just a wee bit better than a Lil Will mag mount. Lol, I really don't know. I haven't talked local with it much. Lots of people rag on the ATAS, but I have made some nice contacts with it. I'm just a casual mobile operator. If I wanted a good system, I'd pick something else. The ATAS does work and it works decently for what it is. I'm able to talk to my friends on 40 meters. That's all I need.

I'm thinking most haters had an insufficient ground. For this antenna to work well, it must have a good solid ground.
Yeah, mine struggled sometimes when I had it in the Camry hybrid, and that was with a very good ground via braid. No issues whatsoever in my truck. I knew what I was getting with it when I bought it (did my research). I'm the same way... casual user, like to talk "local" on 40. Sure has been running long, though. To get more power handling and 80 meters, you've got to go to a much higher priced antenna system. So, I'm happy with what I've got.

Brett

View attachment 36024 You can select ATAS in menu and intiate a 10 watt carrier to tune. Press and hold PTT, then push and release up button. It will key 10 watts. Release PTT when done.

I did a video for this. ATAS set as tuner in menu 16-15. Key up with PTT and hit the channel up on the mic. And voila. Very quick if you had prior tuned the frequencies. (I'm at 82 presets of 99.)

Reactions: Woody-202
Does anybody have that slow power rise on am/fm modes? When you key the transmitter in am or fm the power slowly rises, about one second. Yaesu said it is not supposed to do that but pretty much every ones 891 does it, old ones, new ones, even with the latest firmware.

Does anybody have that slow power rise on am/fm modes? When you key the transmitter in am or fm the power slowly rises, about one second. Yaesu said it is not supposed to do that but pretty much every ones 891 does it, old ones, new ones, even with the latest firmware.

I've owned 4 891's. They all did that.

I did a video for this. ATAS set as tuner in menu 16-15. Key up with PTT and hit the channel up on the mic. And voila. Very quick if you had prior tuned the frequencies. (I'm at 82 presets of 99.)

Does it actually work on 80? QSO's?

Brett

I put mine in the mobile with ATAS 120A.

I had an ATAS 120A & it was & still is the Worst HF mobile antenna I have ever owed or used.It stayed full of water every time it rained(Does that often here in Florida)& it would just start tuning in the middle of a QSO & sometimes it would just not stop tuning at all.I replaced it with a TARHEEL II & the FT-857D with an ICOM 7000 & immediately knew that I had made the correct choice.The difference was like removing the roof of the house to let the sunshine in.I would not with that radio or antenna upon anyone even if I did not like them.

SIX-SHOOTER

I had an ATAS 120A & it was & still is the Worst HF mobile antenna I have ever owed or used.It stayed full of water every time it rained(Does that often here in Florida)& it would just start tuning in the middle of a QSO & sometimes it would just not stop tuning at all.I replaced it with a TARHEEL II & the FT-857D with an ICOM 7000 & immediately knew that I had made the correct choice.The difference was like removing the roof of the house to let the sunshine in.I would not with that radio or antenna upon anyone even if I did not like them.

SIX-SHOOTER
My experience is no where near that. I easily make contacts on 20 and 40. I'm not interested in working long path weak signals. I'm able to talk to my friends in Ohio, up and down the Atlantic States and into the Midwest. It's a good antenna and works well for what I need it for. I did use the Diamond SD330 so I could work 80. It worked OK, but my main use is 40 meters. The ATAS works great for me.

This is my second ATAS. I monitor it frequently for mounting issues. Have not had any problems yet. I have no issues with recommending it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2RT307 and binrat
My experience is no where near that. I easily make contacts on 20 and 40. I'm not interested in working long path weak signals. I'm able to talk to my friends in Ohio, up and down the Atlantic States and into the Midwest. It's a good antenna and works well for what I need it for. I did use the Diamond SD330 so I could work 80. It worked OK, but my main use is 40 meters. The ATAS works great for me.

This is my second ATAS. I monitor it frequently for mounting issues. Have not had any problems yet. I have no issues with recommending it.

I wish you could use it head to head with the TARHEEL II & you would have it For Sale before the door on your vehicle could even shut.Daylight & Dark difference I kid you not. The people I was talking to on a regular basis noticed it & often commented on it so I knew I had made the right choice.I am happy somebody likes them but I'm not on that list.I pass on my experience so others can make an informed decision & I did not bite my tongue on the eHam reviews either.God bless.

SIX-SHOOTER

Reactions: Slowmover
I understand that. I know it has better performance. I don't need it. I'm able to talk to my friends and that's all that matters to me. The ATAS is a great fit for me. If I ever decide to go full bore. I would dump serious cash and have an enviable mobile.

Given the way I operate, the ATAS is more than I need.

Reactions: Slowmover
I understand that. I know it has better performance. I don't need it. I'm able to talk to my friends and that's all that matters to me. The ATAS is a great fit for me. If I ever decide to go full bore. I would dump serious cash and have an enviable mobile.

Given the way I operate, the ATAS is more than I need.

Understood.
(careful, tail-tweak ahead)

I also use a .22-LR iron-sighted bolt-action for deer hunting. Head shots suffice. A closer stalk, is all.

The expense of a blowback-operated centerfire with Schmidt & Bender optic is more than I (will) need.

No rainy days or Mondays in my world.

Reactions: SIX-SHOOTER

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated