• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX-94HP from Bells... Backwards Swing

C'mon man, don't make it all doom and gloom. I just dropped $425 on this thing. I need some good news. lol

It works, but this one radio from them and I'm done with Bells. I just wish it weren't so damn hard to find a decent tech to buy from. Mark at Fine Tune seems to be a great tech that puts the test equipment first, but I can't wait forever.
not so great he is a good salesman. i would not let him touch my radios

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Greetings!

I saw your letter, interesting - 9 amp and 75 watts?

I realized I needed to clarify - Volts times amps and you get 75 watts RF? - what I meant by "low" is that the power consumption for the amp seems low for the power output seems "high" like harmonics are involved...

Sounds like a harmonic is playing on stage when you key up - er harmonica...I mean...

1NPCRC94VHP.png
You need to see the first pic, the NPC mod has been applied ABOVE the board...and it a Diode and Resistor mod I've talked about ABOVE the board over by the rear speaker jacks and the AM regulator so there are some issues.

Again, go back to your first photo - and slide over to the rear panel and look for the Electrolytic cap folded over 1000uF 25V - it and the wire loom cover the work.

1diodetied2x.jpg

This was the very thing I was taking to others about in the thread about the Asymmetrical Mods. I use a 180 ohm resistor and the diode stays in same orientation - only the resistor is added to the banded upright end in series.
But that with the NPC Mod to AM Regulator...

1AMRegulatorD42Conversion.jpg

The other variant deals with a Diode BLOCK mod, where the AM regulators' 560 ohm resistor designed to regulate the AM carrier - is reverse biased by a diode.

GalaxyDX979AMVR14.png

Both of these mods will affect the modulation similar to what you're experiencing now with overmodulation in low power...

The Mod shown top photo above? As shown in photo? And D103 in circuit schematic above? With this mod, wherever it is; affects the power available to REGULATE AM envelope. which is controlled by VR17.

Continue at your own peril - but at least now I've updated this to help you figure out why it's doing what it's doing...

Both of them contain mods - so use at your own risk.

Regards!
:+> Andy <+:

Addendum...:

See graphic below...

1AsymmetryVariantsNPCCombo.jpg

I published the above graphic on CB Tricks because of all the "Garage sale" radios I'd come across - lots of them REMOVED the 560 ohm resistor and placed the 100 ohm and diode IN PLACE OF IT - so the NPC RC effect was lost and the AM regulator sounded like crap...

So I'm posting above again, so the rest of us can at least try variants of the above designs - not just as a "marker" but as for education as well.

Each one of the above designes works to varying levels of success, doesn't mean each one is an exact fit, but I can tell you that they do help immensely when it comes to driving amps and since each install varies widely - the options are various as well.

Don't make this harder than it needs to be...

Last edited:
Greetings!

I saw your letter, interesting - 9 amp and 75 watts?

I realized I needed to clarify - Volts times amps and you get 75 watts RF? - what I meant by "low" is that the power consumption for the amp seems low for the power output seems "high" like harmonics are involved...

Sounds like a harmonic is playing on stage when you key up - er harmonica...I mean...

You need to see the first pic, the NPC mod has been applied ABOVE the board...and it a Diode and Resistor mod I've talked about ABOVE the board over by the rear speaker jacks and the AM regulator so there are some issues.

Again, go back to your first photo - and slide over to the rear panel and look for the Electrolytic cap folded over 1000uF 25V - it and the wire loom cover the work.

View attachment 23514

This was the very thing I was taking to others about in the thread about the Asymmetrical Mods. I use a 180 ohm resistor and the diode stays in same orientation - only the resistor is added to the banded upright end in series.

View attachment 23511

The other variant deals with a Diode BLOCK mod, where the AM regulators' 560 ohm resistor designed to regulate the AM carrier - is reverse biased by a diode.

View attachment 23512

Both of these mods will affect the modulation similar to what you're experiencing now with overmodulation in low power...

Both of them contain mods - so use at your own risk.

Regards!
Well thanks for that info, Andy. I guess I will have it looked at.

Greetings!

OH GOD!

I think all bets are off...the limiters gone and the Bias on the driver and finals need to re-checked.

Is there a Red Wire Jumper Mod in there too?!

So sorry, thought you have the limiter still in place and it was more stock than this...

SIGH...

Squeals on AM below 6 watts - Oh man...On air? Or on a dummy load? Or both...?

I don't think Bells CB would have let that leave their shop acting that way...

WOW - what happened?

Get it some help real quick!

That sounds typical of his work. Shouldn't come as a surprise.

Thanks for the replies guys.

First off, 30A power supply that isn't being taxed too heavily, especially on AM. It's pulling only 9A when modulated from a 15W carrier.

Secondly, it emits a tone when it's set to key under 6W and the audio is scratchy when set under 10W.

With the mic gain set at 3 o'clock and a 10W carrier it swings back to about 9.5W-10W average, 75W PEP. At a 15W carrier it swings back to about 14W-15W average, 75W PEP. At a 20W carrier it goes back to about 17W-20W average, 90W PEP. The maximum carrier is 25W and it runs 20W-25W average, 100W PEP. Never pulling more than 10A from the power supply.

It sounds over modulated over the air with the mic gain set above about 1 o'clock on the stock mic.

On SSB with the power all the way up it averages about 50W and peaks about 110W with the mic gain at 1 o'clock. It pulls about 17A set here.

Receive seems good, but I don't have a bench to test everything properly, just a decent little MFJ-874 meter.

From what you described I would say yes. You need to back the power and modulation down a bit!

Everything that has been said on her can be true. The problem though is that few times do the words Galaxy and Proper Alignment belong in the same sentence! Once you start doing suppressed carrier, NPC, Super Swing mods all bets are off.

i warned you about the said person. send him your radio. find out yourself
not arguing just telling you the facts. he screwed up my radio.had to send it to 8541 electronics to get it fixed right.

i warned you about the said person. send him your radio. find out yourself
not arguing just telling you the facts. he screwed up my radio.had to send it to 8541 electronics to get it fixed right.
I can vouch for 8541 Electronics also. I didn't realize they were still in business though. Nice to know they are still around.

You don't often have the pleasure of meeting the people that you do work for any more as most everything is through the mail and usually hundreds if not thousands of miles apart but, I had the pleasure of meeting Andrew as he came to visit me here in Colorado all the way from Texas to let me know he was as happy as a speckled pup under a red wagon with the work I did for him on his Galaxy. I wanted to publically thank Andrew for that it was really was a great meeting. So Thanks Andrew hope you got safely back to Texas.

You don't often have the pleasure of meeting the people that you do work for any more as most everything is through the mail and usually hundreds if not thousands of miles apart but, I had the pleasure of meeting Andrew as he came to visit me here in Colorado all the way from Texas to let me know he was as happy as a speckled pup under a red wagon with the work I did for him on his Galaxy. I wanted to publically thank Andrew for that it was really was a great meeting. So Thanks Andrew hope you got safely back to Texas.

Denny, it was great to meet you. We ended up driving through Garden of the Gods after we left there. It was a great day for a ride. I'm back home now and still haven't had the chance to install the Galaxy in the truck, but I'm gonna get on it soon.

When I get it all installed I'll get my little story on video and post it up for all to see. I do not recommend Bells AT ALL.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.