• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Gather ye radios while ye may

Ok, I lied about "last" radio.

Seeing the new Stryker 955 going to a digital board makes me wonder how long Ranger and Cobra can continue to make boards with through hole parts. The machines that do through hole parts have to be out dated too.

So I bought a pair of refurb Cobra 25 off ebunk. For $60 each.

Hey Shadetree,

Did it arrive? If so, what do you think? Would love to hear your take on it.

It is a great radio, its got me thinking about getting my ham license. The channel presets I have programmed for the CB channels plus uppers to cover the 555 area. Just click the up / down on the mic to change channels. The built in DSP for receive and compressor on mic audio are really nice to have. The stock mic sounds great and has lots of punch. On sideband this thing is a winner.

The AM transmit only does about 80% if you're lucky. The carrier is too high to do 100%. So I did some digging, but have not tried any of it yet.

I bought a cable from Julius to run my rack gear into the accessory port in the back. Sounds really nice for sure.

So now I just gotta figure out where to put it....

It is a great radio, its got me thinking about getting my ham license. The channel presets I have programmed for the CB channels plus uppers to cover the 555 area. Just click the up / down on the mic to change channels. The built in DSP for receive and compressor on mic audio are really nice to have. The stock mic sounds great and has lots of punch. On sideband this thing is a winner.

The AM transmit only does about 80% if you're lucky. The carrier is too high to do 100%. So I did some digging, but have not tried any of it yet.

I bought a cable from Julius to run my rack gear into the accessory port in the back. Sounds really nice for sure.

So now I just gotta figure out where to put it....

I don't think AM was at the top of their selling-point list and for good reason. SSB and CW is what it's all about to Icom's market. Works awfully well on SSB for that price point.
The pre-set freqs are great (scan, too) and something that makes me happy, no channel numbers! Receive is the best I've had and the DSP works very well without any of the watery noise heard in some of the stand alone DSPs.

All in all I couldn't be much happier, closest I've come to a real radio. Hope it fits into your permanent inventory.

If you change mics, it will want a condenser.

I didn't have any trouble finding a hole for it to live in, but my habit isn't as bad as yours;)(y)

Does anyone know of any places that have restocked any of their Galaxy inventory? I am beginning to fear that the boat load from China was just an urban legend.
My friend I tried to hint about that. The seller you named has a few unsatisfied customers to add to that worry. I was told "maybe" the end of the first quarter and weary about what's on the initial box if the "maybe" really happened. Keep in mind several maybe dates have come and gone since supply ran dry about September or so.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?