• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help

My question for Binrat is which dimensions for the loop (like the V58) is like the one stated in the V58 directions which is 17 7/8" each for 2 pieces or the Home made one as your link stated which is 6'? Big difference between the two.
I use the measurements in the diagram. I used 60" + connection (about 4") and modeled it like the diagram. I used a hose clamp on the vertical and soldered a terminal lug on the bottom end.

Attachments

• antenna2.jpg
    antenna2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 41
You are correct Marconi. My miss use of words. The length was to the top of M1 to tip of radiator and it is 183". As far as the standing wave on different freqs, 25.615 was 1.1 and 27.855 was 3 plus. And this is with the match that I duplicated exactly as the one you sent me.
I know I'm asking for a lot of help but this is the only place I've been getting any info.

Mr T, I'll have to think about this new information.

Don't worry about asking questions. If folks didn't ask questions...IMO these forums would be of little value.

As far as the loop measurements go, I haven't added any brackets yet. Just trying to figure which one to go with.
Are you using an antenna with the same loop as I'm wanting to use? What antenna is it on and what was the SWR?

Sorry, I'll keep asking questions till some one tells me to stop.:D

Like I said in my last post...I have a 1/2 wave antenna that uses a tuning coil that is 16" in diameter with 8" end connectors, and is similar to the Maco V58. See below, it is a Wolf 50_11m, which is an end fed 1/2 wave with no radials. It probably works out to be about the same length as binrat describes in his link.

Wolf Radio.com CB, Ham, Pirate Radio Antennas [CB Antenna]

You will notice that this antenna's radiator is resting inside of an adjustable capacitor which shows a small black area, inside, and at the top of the mount. Again, it is similar to the Maco V58. This allows for tuning the radiator length somewhat...adjusting the reactance of the antenna at the base instead of at the tip.

I see we were posting at about the same time. I guess that binrat's antenna had radials like his link shows, so he may have had a better match than I was able to get with the Wolf.

Mr T, the best match I could get was at about 30' feet in height, and the match was really effected by any changes in height for this one. That might have been due in part to no radials. With the antenna low to the Earth the match was better, but I always worked it from 30' - 50' feet and it made very strong RX/TX signals...even when it was showing 1.70:1 SWR.

Here is my Wolf mounted with an A99 radial GPK hub attached with three horizontal radials...and it made absoutely no difference...it was like the radials were not even on the antenna.

Wolf 50_11m NGP that I added a GPK.JPG

Last edited:
:oops: If the antenna is already showing the best SWR at 25.615 mhz...why would you make the radiator longer?

Last edited:
In earlier post you seemed to think it was too short.
Do we go back to what we had and then shorten the radiator?

Haven't checked with radials on yet. Overall
Length of ant is 248 1/2 from tip to bottom tho.
In 26.815 it's showing 3.2. That's where we
Normally talk.

Last edited:
Haven't checked with radials on yet. Overall
Length of ant is 248 1/2 from tip to bottom tho.
In 26.815 it's showing 3.2. That's where we
Normally talk.
So basically you are getting that swr with only half of the antenna together, that's good in my books. The radials are an important part of the antenna.

We will pot them back on and try.
I know its a personal preference. Some say they don't mater some say they do.

For the A99 that is true. However for the type in which you are dealing with,they are part of the antenna.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

Understand that. Thanks for all the input. Really hopeing to resurect this thing but it seems like Im fighting a loosing battle!

Fully assemble. Don't put it too high yet, that way adjustment will be easier. If you have made the tuning setup like I posted then set your driven vertical to the length in the diagram and adjust for swr by moving the wire along the ring portion first, if no good then small adjustments on the vertical.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.