• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help

IMG_3594[1].jpg

IMG_3595[1].jpg

IMG_3596[1].jpg

IMG_3597[1].jpg

IMG_3598[1].jpg

We got the Ant match together jus as it was sent to me so now were just waiting for the rain to stop and put it on and try again

From what I can see the coil looks great guys. Be sure and check the continuity when you get everything assembled.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 person
After we install it and it works I will post the diminsions and all we did to assemble it. It does show continuity right now Thanks again for your and Shockwave's advise.

Mr T.
I had the same problem you did on my old antenna about 5 years ago.
I built a matching system like tue Maco V-58 out of 1/4 coper tubing and a few odds and ends. Work great.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

Thanks binrat for the reply. Gonna see if this one works for now and take notes on it.Just for future reference, how long was the ring and where was the tap point?

Well now comes the follow up. We changed the antenna match and nothing changed. SWR is still 3.0 so we raised the antenna 20ft of ground just to see if it would make any difference and it did. Went from3.0 to 2.9. So now I'm wondering if we need to shorten or lengthen the center mast.

Any advice would be helpful.

Mr T.
I had the same problem you did on my old antenna about 5 years ago.
I built a matching system like tue Maco V-58 out of 1/4 coper tubing and a few odds and ends. Work great.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

Hey Binrat did you retrofit an old CLR2 into a Maco type 5/8 wave?

If so, I think I have enough tubing around here just sitting around that I could try and duplicate what you are suggesting.

Do you have any pictures and/or dimensions that you could post of this setup?

Did you use the CLR2 mounting bracket?

Mr T, I think at some point you told us that you changed the radiator length, and that you also raised the antenna higher to no avail, right? This is not a good sign if nothing happened.

Chech this idea out. You will need a radio with some bandwidth range that is greater than a typical CB. Go up and down in frequency far enough to see if it makes any change in the bad match you're getting?

Hello Marconi
I raised the whole antenna not the radiator. Radiator is adjusted like directions stated for the CLR 2. 183" from top of mounting bracket.
We are checking which freq. shows the lowest SWR.
My question for Binrat is which dimensions for the loop (like the V58) is like the one stated in the V58 directions which is 17 7/8" each for 2 pieces or the Home made one as your link stated which is 6'? Big difference between the two.

Hello Marconi
I raised the whole antenna not the radiator. Radiator is adjusted like directions stated for the CLR 2. 183" from top of mounting bracket.
We are checking which freq. shows the lowest SWR.

My question for Binrat is which dimensions for the loop (like the V58) is like the one stated in the V58 directions which is 17 7/8" each for 2 pieces or the Home made one as your link stated which is 6'? Big difference between the two.

Mr T, I think your antenna radiator is way too short. The 183" inches looks to me to be measured from the tip down to the top of element M1, item #3 in the parts list, not to the top of the mounting bracket as you suggest. M1 tube is 47" long and and sits inside the bracket and it sticks out above the top of the mounting bracket by about 37" inches, and this is the point where the 183" measurement starts in the manual. So, I figure your radiator is about 37" short.

I could be wrong, so let me know, OK?

Regarding Binrats link. I think you forgot the added lenght for the two flat plate brackets that connect the loop to the radiator and the ground. I have a 1/2 wave antenna with a similar tuning coil and it too is about 6' long overall.

Last edited:
You are correct Marconi. My miss use of words. The length was to the top of M1 to tip of radiator and it is 183". As far as the standing wave on different freqs, 25.615 was 1.1 and 27.855 was 3 plus. And this is with the match that I duplicated exactly as the one you sent me.
I know I'm asking for a lot of help but this is the only place I've been getting any info.

As far as the loop measurements go, I haven't added any brackets yet. Just trying to figure which one to go with.
Are you using an antenna with the same loop as I'm wanting to use? What antenna is it on and what was the SWR?
Sorry, I'll keep asking questions till some one tells me to stop.:D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.