1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

HINTS and KINKS for the bench at my bench?

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by OldTech03, Jul 9, 2018.

1. OldTech03

OldTech03 Active Member

Some have asked me if I was getting ready to make videos? I really was not thinking of doing that but after a few more changes to the bench, I gave it a shot! Please feel free to ridicule me and verbally attack me on all the mistakes.

Chevboy0167, TM86, Handy Andy and 2 others like this.

2. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

I would get rid of the the carpet pad and put in anti-static mat with proper earth grounds along with wrist strap ground. All in all damn nice setup!

#2 Tallman, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Robb likes this.
  3. OldTech03

OldTech03 Active Member

This actually is an antistatic floor mat used on an assembly line when I headed up the solder flow and the board assembly at Ballantyne Corp we built those 30 thousand dollar projectors for cinema 24's. They replaced about 20 of them and I took several with me all I did was trim the rubber edges and have 2 ground lines from each of the rear corner snaps going back to my grounding block.

Tallman and Robb like this.
  4. Klondike Mike

Klondike Mike Well-Known Member

Good job on your first production. Good lighting. Good support and movement for the camera. I would recommend that you be aware of your voice projection. You are soft spoken and we have to strain to hear what you are saying. The first 2 minutes being such. At the 2 minute mark the audio gets to a good level. Of course, audio levels can be easily adjusted during post production. Overall a very good start. I'm sure you'll be able to provide future video that will be well received.

5. OldTech03

OldTech03 Active Member

Well thanks, Mike:
    I'm sure you are aware of the drawbacks to using a cell phone for videos if you hold the phone at the wrong angle or if you are too far away or turn a little after listening to the video I will most likely use my Canon Ti5 it works really well and I can use my wireless mic with it. It was just a trial run and I took many notes i'm pretty good at slapping myself around like giving myself an attitude adjustment.

Dmans and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  6. sonoma

sonoma Sr. Member

I had a hard time hearing ot3 also. I just thought maybe it was my speaker system plus I have lost a lot of my hearing over the years due to the noisy place I worked for 30 years. had to have a hearing test each year but they never did any thing about my hearing loss. never did figure out why the hearing test if they were not going to do any thing about it.

7. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

Great video, thanks for showing us around the bench. The radio fixture is awesome, I am going to make one. You could probably sell those on eBay or something.

rabbiporkchop likes this.
  8. loosecannon

loosecannon Sr. Member

I really enjoyed that OT03.

I didn't have any trouble hearing you either. I think some of you guys are just getting old LOL.

my note is that your room seemed a little echoey.
    you may need some sort of improvised sound panels (a towel tacked up on the wall) or something like that.

now you just need a mission statement. what will you provide on your channel that is currently missing from others?

can't wait to see more.
    LC

9. Low_Boy

Low_Boy Active Member

Great video. A lot better than anything I could do.
    Neat bench and I like the trick stand you built.

10. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

The only ones I have seen are the Sky Blue conductive mats. But still a good job on the bench. But if your pad is conductive you did a great job then.

11. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

Now that I've got some of the family "Husbandry" chores done, I had some time to watch your video...

Thanks for that walk thru.

I was most impressed with your converted "Data switch".

As far as audio - I didn't have any real problems - just that you have a Baritone/Tenor or Bass-toned voice that the mic used in the vid does not do justice to. So it did it's best but was not the most effective in treating your voice well during your narrative. I can see why some had issues. But I thought, heard and saw a wonderful little walk thru on your new addition.

SIGH...

Now, I would love to use that as a template for mine if my XYL would allow...

12. Chevboy0167

Chevboy0167 Active Member

Very impressive OT03! Love that radio jig setup... simple yet very useful. All around clean and mean system you have. Keep up the good work! 73's