• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Homemade antenna Issue High SWR

@Gunner357
There is another option.
Materials:
1 - 8"x1" PVC nipple
1 - 12"×1" PVC nipple
1 - $10 fiberglass fishing pole from Walmart
1 - $4 3/4"×10' EMT, aluminum, or copper tube from Home Depot cut to 8' 5"
1 - 8'5" copper wire

Drill 3/8" hole in the middle of the 8" PVC nipple.
Put fishing pole 3" deep into one end of the 8" PVC nipple. Secure with a screw through both nipple and fishing pole.
Zip tie, tape, or heat shrink copper wire along the the fishing pole.
Slide a coax feedline that does not have a connector on it through the 12" PVC nipple.
Slide the same coax through the metal tube from one end to the other.
Feed the coax through the end of 8" PVC nipple opposite the fishing pole and out through the 3/8" hole in the center of the nipple for several inches.
Slide 12" PVC nipple onto end of the metal tube and secure it at 6" depth.
Slide other end of metal tube into the 8" PVC nipple 3".
Prepare the end of the coax you fed through the center PVC insulator to attach to your elements.
Attach the center coax conductor to the wire on the fishing pole.
Attach the braid to the metal tube.
Use the 12" PVC nipple to mount your vertical dipole.
Note: PVC insulator nipple lengths are optional to personal preferences. Longer may be better.
20200319_130104-01.jpeg

Last edited:
@Gunner357
There is another option.
Materials:
1 - 8"x3/4" PVC nipple
1 - 12"×3/4" PVC nipple
1 - $10 fiberglass fishing pole from Walmart
1 - $4 3/4"×10' EMT, aluminum, or copper tube from Home Depot cut to 8' 5"
1 - 8'5" copper wire

Drill 3/8" hole in the middle of the 8" PVC nipple.
Put fishing pole 3" deep into one end of the 8" PVC nipple. Secure with a screw through both nipple and fishing pole.
Zip tie, tape, or heat shrink copper wire along the the fishing pole.
Slide a coax feedline that does not have a connector on it through the 12" PVC nipple.
Slide the same coax through the metal tube from one end to the other.
Feed the coax through the end of 8" PVC nipple opposite the fishing pole and out through the 3/8" hole in the center of the nipple for several inches.
Slide 12" PVC nipple onto end of the metal tube and secure it at 6" depth.
Slide other end of metal tube into the 8" PVC nipple 3".
Prepare the end of the coax you fed through the center PVC insulator to attach to your elements.
Attach the center coax conductor to the wire on the fishing pole.
Attach the braid to the metal tube.
Use the 12" PVC nipple to mount your vertical dipole.
Note: PVC insulator nipple lengths are optional to personal preferences.
View attachment 39454
Thank you this one is interesting I may go out today and get some of the materials looks like the hardest part will be removing the pole guides,

Last edited:
Thank you this one is interesting I may go out today and get some of the materials looks like the hardest part will be removing the pole guides,
I am referring to the retractable/extendable crappie poles. Usually Walmart sells the Shakespeare brand. No guides on them except the very tip end eyelet.
Here is an example of one of these, except the elements are both aluminum tubing, and the bottom insulator is cut from a fiberglass shovel handle.
0125.jpg

Reactions: Slowmover
I am referring to the retractable/extendable crappie poles. Usually Walmart sells the Shakespeare brand. No guides on them except the very tip end eyelet.
Here is an example of one of these, except the elements are both aluminum tubing, and the bottom insulator is cut from a fiberglass shovel handle.
View attachment 39456
Im wondering if these poles are hollow for the first 9 ft I would slide the wire inside I know the section ends are probably capped...... Walmart by me has 3 poles left i think ill grab 1

Im wondering if these poles are hollow for the first 9 ft I would slide the wire inside I know the section ends are probably capped...... Walmart by me has 3 poles left i think ill grab 1
Yes, they are hollow. I have put the wire inside. The wire must be stiff enough to stand on its own, or you have to cut enough of the smallest upper section of the pole off to send a cord down fro m the top to pull the wire up and secure it. This is easier done when the pole has not yet been extended.
You are looking for this pole.
Screenshot_20200810-085609-01.jpeg

A very old example a couple of these antennas being built.View attachment 39458 View attachment 39459 View attachment 39460
I like it I wish I ran across this plan earlier ....But we defiantly need a choke for this correct? Ill be placing this on a 10 ft mast and dont know if I have enough rg213 to make the choke and have it up there. Id like to build it today but the nearest place to get any type of coax is over hour away one way....I already have a choke made from my existing set up 1 foot from antenna SO230 connector

I like it I wish I ran across this plan earlier ....But we defiantly need a choke for this correct? Ill be placing this on a 10 ft mast and dont know if I have enough rg213 to make the choke and have it up there. Id like to build it today but the nearest place to get any type of coax is over hour away one way....I already have a choke made from my existing set up 1 foot from antenna SO230 connector
Yes, a choke is advisable.
Look up whether there is an Amateur Radio Club in your area. Enquire of them whether they, or a member, has coax for sale.
Explain you are building an antenna and you will most likely find them helpful.

This is one method I used to put a choke in line on one of the dipoles. It stayed with the antenna attached to the bottom PVC insulator.
An SO239 can be installed on the box so the feedline is removable like any production antenna. 20200810_095639-01.jpeg20200810_100247-01.jpeg

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Homer: You forgot to add that "choke" needs to be wound on a 4 inch diameter form. The old adage is a 'coffee can" to make it effective on 10/11 meters. I think close amount is 4-5 turns to handle the job of RG213.
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: HomerBB
Homer: You forgot to add that "choke" needs to be wound on a 4 inch diameter form. The old adage is a 'coffee can" to make it effective on 10/11 meters. I think close amount is 4-5 turns to handle the job of RG213.
All the Best
Gary
Howdy, Gary.
Inside the box in the photo there are 5 wraps of coax. They maintain their shape and size if taped or zip tied. I have cut a 4" former to put in the box, too. He has been schooled on the choke, but, thanks, reminders never hurt. You'll note the whitish circular discoloration on the gray box just inside the choke coil. That was where a 4" cardboard former had been.
Homer

This is one method I used to put a choke in line on one of the dipoles. It stayed with the antenna attached to the bottom PVC insulator.
An SO239 can be installed on the box so the feedline is removable like any production antenna. View attachment 39462View attachment 39463
An SO239 can be installed on the box so the feedline is removable like any production antenna. View attachment 39462View attachment 39463
OK a question 3/4 pvc id is smaller than 3/4 emt or 3/4 copper pipe OD how did you get that to work? unless I missed something

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.